Are cowl hoods really not that popular?

wckdvnm

Established Member
So as some have seen my car was rear ended and it has given me some time to reflect and realize the direction I've wanted to go with the car since it is being rebuilt currently. My question is are carbon cowl hoods or cowl hoods in general really disliked?

I've been trying for months to get some to trade me a carbon fiber terminator hood for it with zero luck. I don't hate the hood but I miss the look my car had; if it was basically given to me for free I wouldn't even have it.

What's your guys opinion? Figured I'd bring it up as a point of discussion and see what people's feelings about it are.

Last edited:

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
Cowl hood or a terminator hood? If its a cowl hood, i've never really liked them. When you're younger you think they look cool on the older muscle cars but there isn't really a need for them on our cars, plus i think it takes away too much on the unique factory look on the Cobra's.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I like the factory hood. It's one of my favorite exterior features on the cobra. I had a cowl on my old fox which I liked.

BMSTNG

Established Member
I like the cowl hoods if there not over done. I had a 3 1/4 on my 02 GT and it was just way to big for my taste. It didn't look that big until it was put on the car. I had a 2.5 on my foxbody and I thought that looked killer. That being said I do like the factory cobra hoods and I personally would not change it for a cowl. I just think it comes down to personal preference.

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
I like the factory hood. It's one of my favorite exterior features on the cobra. I had a cowl on my old fox which I liked.
Same here. I used a 2.5 cowl on my 90 LX hatch. It worked well with the body lines. For the 03/04 Cobra, part of what distinguishes it from the rest is it's hood- IMO.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm with you Brady. IMO the only hood that looks good on a '03-'04 Cobra is the factory hood. Next would be a factory style hood.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
The cowl hoods aren't "ugly"....some of them look good...but the terminator hood is one of the most unique, identifiable hoods ever on a factory mustang. You see that hood and 99.9% of the time immediately know what you're looking at.....see a cowl hood, you're just not sure what the story is....could be a number of models.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Love the factory hood. Now on a fox, SN-95, or New Edge that's not a Terminator I'd dig a cowl hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
You're asking the wrong bunch when it comes to cosmetics. The majority on this site hate ANY deviation from factory when it comes to the "looks" of a Cobra. Now if you wanted to bolt on another blower or some "performance" part these are the guys to ask.

Ask me how I know LOL.

wckdvnm

Established Member
You're asking the wrong bunch when it comes to cosmetics. The majority on this site hate ANY deviation from factory when it comes to the "looks" of a Cobra. Now if you wanted to bolt on another blower or some "performance" part these are the guys to ask.

Ask me how I know LOL.

LOL I know what you mean. I loved my stock hood more than this cowl hood but I got a $800 hood for free. Now I'm regretting it because I can't even just sell the dang thing. Doesn't help that every place that sells the carbon terminator hoods is sold out or back ordered.

ctgreddy

Established Member
It's all a matter of opinion. I like cowl hoods but greatly prefer the stock hood over a cowl. Stock cobra hood is just so nice looking, and a cowl doesn't look as good. but if hood clearance is needed or something I can see the reasoning for a cowl. Also there's guys out there that just prefer that look. All depends on the owner.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I put a cowl on my last cobra and loved the way it looked.

I love the factory hood aswell, but the cowl looks aggressive and mean.

nxhappy

Established Member
who ****ing cares what WE think? lol. It's your car brother. Look at pictures, and decide for yourself. That's the best part about modding. Make it the way YOU want it :)

wckdvnm

Established Member
7f31c4cb60aa57c06c9101ae76f79e10.jpg
e3353e2e9a654cd639c60bdb4cef5705.jpg

Maybe it's just the sentimental value the old look holds for me. I just think the car looked so much better before the cowl hood. Probably has to do with the wheels.

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
I vote for cowl hood for my application. I love the look of the OEM Hood but I got tired of having to put a towel under the hood for washing and the dust and dirt I got in the engine bay (I had FORE Vents). I have not seen any difference in IAT 1 or 2 temperatures but I haven't been to an open track event where the OEM hood is said to shine. Now having said that, I wish I kept my OEM hood since they are not exactly easy or cheap to come across anymore.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4a64.jpg

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Stock hood 10 fold. Fits the rest of the cars body lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GDDYUP

Established Member
It's all what you like. If you like cowl hoods, it's your ride, go for it.

That being said, if you're asking for opinions, here's mine. I had a 3.5" Boss cowl hood on my 92 LX hatch. But only because I needed it to clear the 351 swap I did. If I hadn't done the 351, it would have stayed stock. I like the cowl hood look, but it gets cheesy when you pop the hood and there's nothing there.

On these cars, the stock hood fits right in with the look of the car. The other hoods just look out of place. Just my .02.....

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Now having said that, I wish I kept my OEM hood since they are not exactly easy or cheap to come across anymore.

I agree with you. I wish I kept my factory hood too. They are getting expensive and to find a good one is difficult. Most are cracked or have minor damage.

On these cars, the stock hood fits right in with the look of the car. The other hoods just look out of place. Just my .02.....

As you mentioned it is a matter of opinion. I happen to think the 2000 Cobra R hood looks very good on the 03/04 Cobra's. Factory is very nice, but I always like to stand out from the crowd and when you go to car shows the only thing that is normally different on a Cobra is the engine bay. But, in general, Cobras are unique.

Users who are viewing this thread