Are 99/01 lower intakes the same as Mach 1's?

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
Just as the title asks, are 99/01 Cobra lower intake manifolds the same as the 03/04 Mach 1 intake manifolds?

Nazman

Established Member
Ok,

Same part number, same design and all but very diferent in the inside.

Well, based on my limited experince with these intakes (I have ported o/a 18-20 of them). The 03-04 Mach intakes are extremly clean castings, therefore much easier to work with and they "should" flow a bit better than the 99-01s specially the 99s!

This is the way I see it:

99 Pre-Fix = BAD! (I'll not touch them, way too much flash/junk all around)
99 Fixed (Blue Dot) = Extrude Hone, runners are cleaned but still have a bit of flash at the very entrance of the runners, the feeder ports needs lots of work.
99 Fixed (Green Dot) = Acid "ported"/cleaned, about as good as the Blue Dot, may be the Blue dot a bit better. Needs some work on the feeder ports as well.
01 Green Dot = Much improved over the 99 version, about as good as the 03-04 Mach 1s.
03-04 Mach 1 = Best version, very clean.

Of the shell, the 03-04 Mach intakes should out perform the 99-01 versions but after porting they should flow o/a same numbers.

Again, this is my uneducated comment and just based on what I have seen.

Naz

Nazman

Established Member
Front of intake manifold, not the intake hat/cover but the manifold it self. There is a polished or machined little area (about 1/2 inch) and its located there.

Naz

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
Naz,

The reason why I was asking was to investigate the idea of buying a spare lower intake manifold and sending that off to be extrude honed. But, if the 99 fixed ones are already "massaged" do you think it would be worth it? What would you advise? Would an extrude honed Mach 1 be the best option if I could get my hands on one?

Also, I am assuming that all of the bolt patterns are the same between all of the manifolds. Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks for the info.

Nazman

Established Member
Dingleweed said:
Naz,

The reason why I was asking was to investigate the idea of buying a spare lower intake manifold and sending that off to be extrude honed. But, if the 99 fixed ones are already "massaged" do you think it would be worth it? What would you advise? Would an extrude honed Mach 1 be the best option if I could get my hands on one?

Also, I am assuming that all of the bolt patterns are the same between all of the manifolds. Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks for the info.

Any of the 99-01, 03-04 Intakes will benefit from some "massaging".

The Extrune hone is a good proccess but keep in mind that will not address any re-shapping of the runners entrance, injector bosses, upper runners and other "areas of interest". It will only address volume and get rid of inperfections. I belive the best would be an intake that has been "manually" massaged and then extrude honed.

If you could find an 03-04 Mach 1 intake that will be the best to start with but the end resuld will be o/a the same with either.

I have 2 Mach 1 intakes at the house but one of them may become a "SR" and the other I'll use for exchanges.

As far as the bolt pattern they all share the same so it will be no problem.

Naz

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
Nazman said:
99 Pre-Fix = BAD! (I'll not touch them, way too much flash/junk all around)
99 Fixed (Blue Dot) = Extrude Hone, runners are cleaned but still have a bit of flash at the very entrance of the runners, the feeder ports needs lots of work.
99 Fixed (Green Dot) = Acid "ported"/cleaned, about as good as the Blue Dot, may be the Blue dot a bit better. Needs some work on the feeder ports as well.

Ok... out of curiosity, I just went out & checked to see what color dot I had & I couldn't find it anywhere. Can anyone help with an exact location (as I may just be missing it). I did see a dot on my alternator. Could that be it?

Users who are viewing this thread