apten ported eatons- what happened ?

03redfiresnake

Established Member
I had a 6lb lower and 3.0 upper and on a mustang dyno my numbers were, 427.3 rwhp and 494.0 rwtq, so adding 10% to adjust roughly to dynojet, translates to 470 rwhp and 543.5 rwtq

well I just had an apten ported eaton put on and the dynojet numbers were (std), 471.1 rwhp and 505.8 rwtq, wtf !!!

I had heard that there might be some issues with the newer apten portings and I believe it !! Any ideas anyone !!

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
You honestly think you can convert Mustang dyno numbers to dyno jet.....

who ever told you this was wrong wrong wrong

So your running a 3.0 upper and a 6 lb lower

Put down 470 and 508 and think your numbers are wrong for a apten...

your running what...17-18 lbs of boost on a eaton?

try taking it down to only a 2.76 or 2.8 upper..

Or just a 8LB lower

that will give you more HP with a touch less TQ

other then that your numbers are right on Par

Might be some left in your tune to.....

Other then that.. jump off the band wangon...

Last edited:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
What did your tuner think? Did you get the current port job, or the older one? And did you call apten yet? Also, when you had the car dyno'd before, what was the weather like vs what it was like when you had it dyno'd with the apten?
A lot of people seem to be having a problem with the new ports.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
Go back to the mustang dyno where you put down 427/494 and see what they are now with the apten... Its hard comparing a dyno jet and a mustang dyno like your doing.. Cause there is no way you picked up 1hp and lost 40ftlbs of Tq... How does the car feel compared to before?

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
one more thing its hard enough to compar dynojet to dynojet... on 2 different days with this car... air temp plays a roll the corection can count into effect that your blower getting cool air or hot air and that plays a huge roll in these cars

go back to the mustang dyno like the above said till then you cant compair

03redfiresnake

Established Member
I agree, and I knew the different dynos would be the hard part of comparison. I have the "new" apten port job, about 2 months old. I did dyno first without the upper and it was about 3 hp higher, but 40 ftlbs of trqe lower.
vector- I am not on any bandwagon, both my tuner and I were expecting numbers closer to 485-490 hp and 550 tq - which I have seen many times on this board
Mike79- my tuner and my thoughts are above the weather might have been a little cooler on mustang dyno run.....
The usable hp and tq is a bigger area on the dyno sheet - I just think the new ported aptens are different than the old ones.

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
Originally posted by 03redfiresnake

vector- I am not on any bandwagon, both my tuner and I were expecting numbers closer to 485-490 hp and 550 tq - which I have seen many times on this board

Really show me with your pully combo

aptens with the standered boltons and 2.93-2.76 uppers
make 480-500STD and a very few made 500 SAE

I see you have a cated mid pipe that would be worth about 10 RWHP

looking forward to seeing someone with your pully combo over have better numbers then you

:) Jeff

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Doesn't make sense to use two different dynos and try to compare numbers. We all know that no two dynos are exactly the same. Worse when you compare Mustang Dyno numbers to Dynojet. You should get a new set of numbers on the same Mustang dyno you used for the first set, and then compare to see what you gained.

To compound the issue you are suggesting that as a result of your unfair comparison that the newer Aptens might be producing less power. Take a step back and get that baby on the Mustang dyno, do a new set of numbers and then report back your results. I have a feeling the numbers are not going to be as bad as you seen to think they are.

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Heh Mark. Does your car feel different? When I ported mine, it felt slightly different. I did not dyno before, unfortunately, but afterwards with a 2.80 upper and 6 lb lower, full Bassani exhaust with no cats, Afco HE,JLP cai and flip chip, I had 491 rwhp and 518 rwtq. My blower was ported in March of this year. I ran a 11.50 after burning a valve at the 60 ft. mark. I think the blower made some improvement. I ran 2 tenths faster with it. And would have been quicker if I hadn't burnt the valve. See how it feels at the track, that's the true test. My Apten sits in my garage with only about 100 miles on it. When I ported the heads and installed blower cams, I did the KB at the same time. Good luck. We still have to hook up some weekend.... Later. J.R.

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
Did you get your car retuned for the apten?.... you dont have to but to make the best numbers it will help

looking at JRS numbers your right with him.. if you did not have the cated mid pipe.....

little things can add up to be big... retune, cats, Air temp outside pluges, belt,.............

always need to think about this stuff to

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
I put on my Apten on the same day as my last dyno tune (see sig). I picked up 55 SAE RWHP and 44 TQ. Needless to say I am a happy camper.

~ Fresh :burnout:

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
If I was guaranteed 55rwhp and 44rwtq I Wouldnt mind paying $1,500 for the apten, everyones numbers seem to be different all the time?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by vector
Did you get your car retuned for the apten?.... you dont have to but to make the best numbers it will help. Looking at JRS numbers your right with him.. if you did not have the cated mid pipe.....
little things can add up to be big... retune, cats, Air temp outside pluges, belt,.............
always need to think about this stuff to
That's not really true. Everyone installing a ported blower should check their A/F after the install. Amazon Racing recommends a re-tune for the Apten. Here's proof. Before the Apten mod my A/F was in the 11.5 - 11.75 range and very flat. After the Apten mod (with no other mods) the A/F leaned a full point, and resulting in a higher than normal power gain. I had the A/F adjusted but not close enough to the 11.5 and I sold the car. I lost some power with the A/F adjustment. So some of the high reported gains could be in part due to the A/F going lean.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
can you post a dyno graph and what does the A/F look like.

You cannot compare an MD to a DJ. I also think your pulley setup may be hurting it a bit as well

Dave

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Fresh Cobra
I put on my Apten on the same day as my last dyno tune (see sig). I picked up 55 SAE RWHP and 44 TQ. Needless to say I am a happy camper.

~ Fresh :burnout:
Can you post your dyno report? I'd love to compare yours to mine and also see your A/F. I had the Apten as well with similar mods. I got gains of 38rwhp and 8rwtq which are on the high side. That was with a 2.90 upper. 55rwhp/44rwtq are the biggest gains ever reported that I'm aware of. And your torque number is way higher than any other I've seen after the Apten porting. Typical high power gains are in the 35-40 to the rear wheels range. ;-)

03redfiresnake

Established Member
Thanks for the imput everyone, I agree with all of your points, I guess a little reassurance goes a long way. We tuned the car today and air fuel is flat all the way, 7 pulls and I am confident the tuner got the most he could ! The car does feel very strong, I will go to the track friday night
mark

03redfiresnake

Established Member
well, jeff (vector) I count atleast 3 others with better numbers and 2 more in another thread below this one about apten ported blowers. I realize these cars are all different as well as dynos are all different - I was expecting higher numbers just like some other people - thats all, and I think people should know that not everyone makes 44 more hp with the current apten porting-

Users who are viewing this thread