Apten cooling mod

i8u

Established Member
I would do it with your power levels. Who wants heat buildup around their 7 and 8 guides?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I just called. You get "a metal piece and some tubing." I ordered it because my clutch is going in this week.

They said it won't ship for a week and a half. Freakin Great.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Thats a good question. Since a lot of us will eventually need to upgrade the clutch when the stock one goes out, I think we might as well install the cooling mod at the same time.

But it would be nice to know if it fits right the first time the way it comes, especially since it costs $120 for some metal and tubing.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
When mine shows up I'm taking pics of it and posting it. If I spent 120 bucks on 10 dollars worth of tubing I'm going to be pissed.

If this is just tubing I smell a "DIYS SVTperformance cooling mod".

I remember when some company that will remain unnamed tried selling a "boost bypass kit" for 15 bucks when it has 2 dollars worth of autozone crap in a bag. I hope this isn't the same situation.

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by bassin247
When mine shows up I'm taking pics of it and posting it. If I spent 120 bucks on 10 dollars worth of tubing I'm going to be pissed.

If this is just tubing I smell a "DIYS SVTperformance cooling mod".

I remember when some company that will remain unnamed tried selling a "boost bypass kit" for 15 bucks when it has 2 dollars worth of autozone crap in a bag. I hope this isn't the same situation.

Or the densecharger, which can be found at home depot for 89 cents in the PVC isle.

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
From what I have read there is a problem with getting the new tube from the driver side head around the EGR tube without pinching the new drivers side head tube.

I read that Brian@APTEN before leaving was going to make a new EGR tube to fix the problem, but haven't heard anything for a while......

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
This is a PIA to install from everybody who has done it. And they said it is virtually impossible to do with the motor in the car. The key problem is the EGR tube needs to be bent for it to fit. Several people have complained and requested a pre-bent tube so it could just be replaced and the last I heard they were looking in to doing it.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
i did it on my 99 with the motor out. it was fairly easy and is working nicely.

however, the parts are not worth anywhere close to 120 bux. you can fab something like this for much cheaper, but im not giving away their secret because they do deserve some compensation for the idea.

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
besides the hassle with bending the egr tube, i've read nothing but good things about this kit. can you put a price on peace of mind... $120 for just that is more than fair. especially when you're talking about a $12,000 motor.
i personally am waiting for the pre-bent egr tube to come out. that is of course if the clutch doesn't go out first.

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
It is a PIA to do.
The whole EGR sucks.
So i removed my Egr tube and pluged the ends and had my tuner lose the code for it. Who wants hot Exhaust Gas Returning to you Eaton anyway.
JP

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Wasn't the poor design of the 7/8th cylinder cooling situation remedied after the first 03 run? If it was, then the cooling mod should not be necessary for the later runs should it?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by IronTerp
Wasn't the poor design of the 7/8th cylinder cooling situation remedied after the first 03 run?

nope...they didn't add a coolant flow path from the back of the drivers head, which is what this mod is all about

Users who are viewing this thread