Applecarguy's Comp Orange Cobra Build (PIC HEAVY!)

applecarguy

Established Member
Let me start this off with a little history on the car. I personally have owned this car for just over a year. The previous owner had to have the engine rebuilt due to a bad used ported supercharger he put onto the car. While it was being tuned it fell apart and shot metal into the engine. I put about 10k miles on the car until in December when right after doing a short WOT pull my car started shaking and making a loud knocking sound. I knew right away something bad happened. I babied back to my buddies house where I had it towed back to my place.

Anyways... Here is a video of what it sounded like just after the pull:
[youtube_browser]gjIyEMmTgnM&feature=youtu.be[/youtube_browser]

Getting towed home..
IMG_1910_zpsc975ab8a.jpg

Here is a video of it idling once I got it home:
[youtube_browser]0sMC1ub99po&feature=youtu.be[/youtube_browser]

After some diagnosing it was determined that my intercooler pump was out. It was only working intermittently. I had the pump replaced and a compression test was done. My number 2 cylinder was quite a bit lower than the rest. Next step was a leak down which showed that my car was losing compression due to the piston or rings. I made the decision to have my engine rebuilt with a built motor.

Waiting to get picked up.
IMG_2502_zps138e7f9c.jpg

Being towed by my buddies Sonic Blue Lightning to get fixed!
IMG_2520_zps1c3cfc29.jpg

My buddy is doing all the work on my car except the actual rebuild of the engine.
Here are a couple pics of the car before the engine removal. Sorry its very dirty..
IMG_2587_zpsb180181b.jpg

IMG_2588_zpsf92d0998.jpg

IMG_2589_zps66b19830.jpg

He pulled the engine and removed the heads and this is what he found... A chunk of my piston was missing. That would obviously be the problem. (My buddy has more pics of the engine removal. I will post them once I get them.)
IMG_2606_zps80caf021.jpg

How my car is currently sitting.
IMG_2612_zps9f4f4fec.jpg

That is all for now. Currently the engine is at the machine shop we are waiting for a new quote because we decided to change some parts internally. Everything is going to be Manley. I will try to keep this thread updated as the car progresses. Thanks for viewing! Sorry if it was a bit long winded.

Last edited:

gabe1530

Banned
Cool little build. What else is being done to the longblock? Are you going to stick with the eaton? E85?
I recommend getting the arp2000 head studs and now would be the time to clean the engine bay, install headers, line lock, upgraded solid steering shaft and tubular k member. I know it's a lot of extra cash but I wish I did it the first time.

Last edited:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
That sucks man. My Aeroforce gauges let know when my pump died. They actually saved my engine a couple times.

applecarguy

Established Member
Thanks! I will be raising the compression to around 9.5:1 I believe and I will be getting ARP bolts and studs all around. Currently it already has the ARP head studs from the current build. I will be keeping my Posi ported eaton for the time being and I will most likely be sticking with 91. Eventually down the road I will probably go with E85 but my college student budget doesn't allow for it currently haha.

applecarguy

Established Member
I forgot to post this so here is a little update already. My rear tires on my car were completely shot so I had some used Hoosier DR's sitting around the house that I got from a buddy and I decided to mount them. I took them into Auto Shop with me and mounted them. Most of the people in my class drive Honda's and they were all mesmerized how big the tires were haha.

Here is a bad iPhone pic of the tire being mounted.
IMG_2603_zps2fd84c15.jpg

And the finished product.
IMG_2604_zps7dbacbf7.jpg

I also received my Hurst Line lock in the mail a couple days ago.
IMG_2646_zps14378c2d.jpg

laruei

Established Member
Is that like the universal line lock kit? The one I got had pre-bent lines and was basically bolt in?

Sucks about the engine.. How did the valves look on the cylinder with a piece missing?

applecarguy

Established Member
Is that like the universal line lock kit? The one I got had pre-bent lines and was basically bolt in?

Sucks about the engine.. How did the valves look on the cylinder with a piece missing?

Yes its the universal kit. I was just going to buy the solenoid and my friend was going to have the lines made but these were free on summit so i got them, not sure if he will use them or not. I never saw the valves but he said he was surprised they weren't damaged. Luckily I am getting new valves as well as springs and retainers, so either way I won't have to worry about it.

03cobraracer

Established Member
Looking good so far man. Sucks about the motor I toasted my sticker years ago. Def spend the time to clean the engine bay really well while it's out. I wish I would have.

Blk03CobraVenom

Love me some Boost
Established Member
Damn sorry to hear about your car. My last stang had to go through an engine rebuilding as well. Good part is you get to make the car stronger and faster than before hehe! I like how you said everything in the car will be Manley. As if the car wasn't "Manley" enough. LOL!

Svt_kid90

Established Member
Sorry to hear what happend man, on the other hand she is going to be a beast once the build is finished, keeps us posted. By the way and sorry for the rookie question but does anybody know why something like this would happend to these engines?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
best of luck with everything! nice to see you are keeping the car and getting her back on the road for more cars and coffee meets :beer:

applecarguy

Established Member
Damn sorry to hear about your car. My last stang had to go through an engine rebuilding as well. Good part is you get to make the car stronger and faster than before hehe! I like how you said everything in the car will be Manley. As if the car wasn't "Manley" enough. LOL!

hahaha yea good point. We were going to use scat rods and another brand of pistons I don't remember which but we decided it was best to just use Manley.

applecarguy

Established Member
Sorry to hear what happend man, on the other hand she is going to be a beast once the build is finished, keeps us posted. By the way and sorry for the rookie question but does anybody know why something like this would happend to these engines?

Thanks, I will definitely keep every one updated. Believe it or not these engine are not indestructible. Its all in the tune and cooling. It was fairly hot out side when I did the pull and with my blower setup already generating a lot of heat it probably caused a good amount of detonation which kills engines.

Users who are viewing this thread