Apollo 11 launch started today 40 yrs. ago

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
When one stops and actually ponders that humans made it to, walked on and flew back from the moon is truly amazing. :bowdown:

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
Listening to the audio kinda brings me back to my childhood. I remember watching the moon missions whenever I could. One fond memory (actually 2) was watching the live broadcast of one mission and the crew of the LM were preparing to step out, I was eating breakfast in the living room, watching on the big TV, eating Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter (FTW) Another was when I got to see Apollo 16 lift off close-up at Cape Kennedy.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I am of two minds on this. It is great that we went. It is not great that we only went to the moon six times, and then we have not been back. I don't whether to get drunk or depressed.

Did you know:

The Apollo capsule was designed to carry as many as 9 crew members, with air, water, food and power for 15 days?

The Saturn V booster was never stressed to more than 40% of it's capability, and that was when it launched Skylab.

I am going to get drunk.

Jim Snover

STG

Banned
I am of two minds on this. It is great that we went. It is not great that we only went to the moon six times, and then we have not been back. I don't whether to get drunk or depressed.

Did you know:

The Apollo capsule was designed to carry as many as 9 crew members, with air, water, food and power for 15 days?

The Saturn V booster was never stressed to more than 40% of it's capability, and that was when it launched Skylab.

I am going to get drunk.

Jim Snover

Whoa! You can't mean the Apollo Command Module's size as built could carry nine astronauts in pressure suits. The volume of its pressurized interior was about 210 cubic feet. Even if all 210 cubic feet were available ( no couches, instrument panels, etc., that would be 23.33 cubic feet per astronaut.

A coffin with interior dimensions of 7' X 3' X 3' = 63 cubic feet

Maybe somewhere, sometime NASA though about building a bigger Command Module.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Yep. They key there is the bit that goes "as many as 9 crew members." Remember that water and power came from the service module, and there were different configurations for the service module. Most likely for the command module as well. But yeah, you won't confuse it with a first-class airline seat.

Jim Snover

Whoa! You can't mean the Apollo Command Module's size as built could carry nine astronauts in pressure suits. The volume of its pressurized interior was about 210 cubic feet. Even if all 210 cubic feet were available ( no couches, instrument panels, etc., that would be 23.33 cubic feet per astronaut.

A coffin with interior dimensions of 7' X 3' X 3' = 63 cubic feet

Maybe somewhere, sometime NASA though about building a bigger Command Module.

STG

Banned
Yep. They key there is the bit that goes "as many as 9 crew members." Remember that water and power came from the service module, and there were different configurations for the service module. Most likely for the command module as well. But yeah, you won't confuse it with a first-class airline seat.

Jim Snover

You side-stepped my point. How in the hell do you get NINE into 210 cubic feet? That's 210 cubic feet in the pressurized portion of the Command module with most power and water already in the Service Module. With 23.33 cubic feet available for each occupant, and if each astronaut is 5'8' tall and 2'8" wide:

23.33'/ (5.67' X 2.67') = 1.541063'

5.67' X 2.67' X 1.54" is less volume than a body bag.

There wasn't enough room in the capsule that was flown to hold even one more astronaut for a moon mission much less six more no matter how it was reconfigured.

The amount of equipment in the Command module was the absolute minimum required for navigation and life support for only three astronauts during the last few hours of the mission (separation from the SM and reentry).

A Command Module for nine would have to be much bigger.

That would required a much bigger Service Module and a much bigger Saturn V. Wait! You stated the Saturn booster was never stressed to more that 40% of its capability. What precisely did you mean? It could carry 60% more fuel? 60% more payload? It could withstand 60% more flight loads?

The implication is that the Saturn V was only carrying 40% of its capacity. It may have been capable of lifting more, but I'll bet your "40%" is very close 100 is RATED capability with safety margins. If yoiu are correct, why not build a bigger Command and Service Module so three astronauts wouldn't have to spend 10+ days living, breathing, eating and shitting a space smaller than TWO PHONE BOOTHS?

That would push the Saturn V booster to what, 43% of its capacity?

I'm calling B.S.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
When one stops and actually ponders that humans made it to, walked on and flew back from the moon is truly amazing. :bowdown:

I was a volunteer at a hospital print shop during this. When they landed on the moon we all had gathered around and watched it. There was an old guy there that remembered when the wright bros made their first flight. He had litterally been there from the first flight all the way through the moon landing and return ... was an awesome time to be in that room with him.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

Did you know:

I am going to get drunk.

Jim Snover

I am going to have to call BS on this one Jim. The apollo 11 capsule was able to carry 3. it was never intended to carry more than that. there was no room for 4 let alone 9.

I would be interested in your source for it being designed for 9.

STG

Banned
I was a volunteer at a hospital print shop during this. When they landed on the moon we all had gathered around and watched it. There was an old guy there that remembered when the wright bros made their first flight. He had litterally been there from the first flight all the way through the moon landing and return ... was an awesome time to be in that room with him.

NASA invited a 100+ year old man to the Apollo 11 launch. (He was old enough to have been a slave.) When asked if he believed Apollo 11 was actually going to the Moon he replied, "I believe they're going somewhere."

STG

Banned
I am going to have to call BS on this one Jim. The apollo 11 capsule was able to carry 3. it was never intended to carry more than that. there was no room for 4 let alone 9.

Nine? Shit. That's plenty of space. 5'8" x 2'8" X 1'5" for each astronaut!

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Wow. That really hurts. The dreaded BS flag, thrown down by STG his own self. With a side-order accusation of side stepping!

Learn to read and change your tone, or get added to the ignore list. That statement is all the effort I am willing to expend on you unless you show me something different.

Jim Snover

You side-stepped my point. How in the hell do you get NINE into 210 cubic feet? That's 210 cubic feet in the pressurized portion of the Command module with most power and water already in the Service Module. With 23.33 cubic feet available for each occupant, and if each astronaut is 5'8' tall and 2'8" wide:

23.33'/ (5.67' X 2.67') = 1.541063'

5.67' X 2.67' X 1.54" is less volume than a body bag.

There wasn't enough room in the capsule that was flown to hold even one more astronaut for a moon mission much less six more no matter how it was reconfigured.

The amount of equipment in the Command module was the absolute minimum required for navigation and life support for only three astronauts during the last few hours of the mission (separation from the SM and reentry).

A Command Module for nine would have to be much bigger.

That would required a much bigger Service Module and a much bigger Saturn V. Wait! You stated the Saturn booster was never stressed to more that 40% of its capability. What precisely did you mean? It could carry 60% more fuel? 60% more payload? It could withstand 60% more flight loads?

The implication is that the Saturn V was only carrying 40% of its capacity. It may have been capable of lifting more, but I'll bet your "40%" is very close 100 is RATED capability with safety margins. If yoiu are correct, why not build a bigger Command and Service Module so three astronauts wouldn't have to spend 10+ days living, breathing, eating and shitting a space smaller than TWO PHONE BOOTHS?

That would push the Saturn V booster to what, 43% of its capacity?

I'm calling B.S.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
"Lost Moon," by Jim Lovell. Go argue with him if you want.

Jim Snover

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
"Lost Moon," by Jim Lovell. Go argue with him if you want.

Jim Snover

well seeing as how I am in the sandbox with no access to a library. and seeing as how you are the one making the claim perhaps you could scan the relevant pages and PM them to me.

when I was in school I did a huge science project on the Gemini and Apollo programs that took first prize. There was absolutely no provisions for 9 people in that capsule. so perhaps you misread it. while STG's numbers are off as well I just don't see how Lovell could be that far off either.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Then you will have that to look forward to when you return.

Jim Snover

well seeing as how I am in the sandbox with no access to a library. and seeing as how you are the one making the claim perhaps you could scan the relevant pages and PM them to me.

when I was in school I did a huge science project on the Gemini and Apollo programs that took first prize. There was absolutely no provisions for 9 people in that capsule. so perhaps you misread it. while STG's numbers are off as well I just don't see how Lovell could be that far off either.

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
I have not read that book in years Jim, but there were various design configurations of the CM/ SM and Lunar Modules. I seem to recollect a drawing of a CM design that would carry more than 3 but I searched my reference material and could not find any. The current Orion module NASA will be using has 2 1/2 times more than the Apollo CM, and it is designed to carry 6 crew members and that is a capsule that will no doubt have more interior room thanks to Miniaturization.
As far as the F-1 booster rocket engines are concerned, the later Apollo mission did have uprated engines in order to carry the extra weight that the missions were designed to carry, but it was not that much. And remember, the F-1's job was not to get the crew into Earth escape velocity, - that was the job in part of the S-II and for the third stage S-IVB.
FoxFourX1
[/URL][/IMG]
Command Module Interior
from Apollo Training Manual
"Apollo Spacecraft & Systems Familiarization"
(March 13, 1968)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread