Anyone with a 21 or newer explored limited?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Wifes 15 fusion is dying...damn rocker panels have rusted out and the firewall is almost see through...never seen anything like it on any car i ever owned.

Anyway she wants and explorer and the local for store has a 21 limited with 30k on the clock at 34k price (which i think is high) but anyway...wondering how the explorer is these day...last one we had was an 06 lol

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Overall, I believe they are pretty solid with the biggest issue being the infotainment screen. I will just throw out you should consider a '20+ Toyota Highlander Hybrid (at least a Limited or Platinum). They had some updates for '23 that would be worth considering, but the biggest perk is getting an easy 30+ mpg regularly.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
to the best of my knowledge the sideways mounted 3.5 has the water pump behind the cover, if you arent paying attention to coolant levels and it lets go completely it will dump everything into the oil pan and wipe out the bearings.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
@DSG2003Mach1 The 2020+ Explorers are a new platform, longitudinal motors. 2.3 or 3.0, no more 3.5.

No real engine issues I know of.

If it's AWD, check the front axles, the original ones had a weird boot design that would be cut by the clamp and spray grease everywhere; the replacements are fine.

Camera issues, getting frequent blue screens. This is solved by a recall, replacing the camera. And there was a Sync software update that caused the ACM to get corrupted and the infotainment basically stopped working, but a fix has happened. Most were able to download the latest software update and it fixed the issues. I needed a new ACM, but was covered under warranty.

Nothing else major. I like mine. I've done a bunch of mods to my ST, but a 2.3 Limited would make a great, comfy family hauler.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I drove it home and overall it was a nice ride, seats are nice, comfy, ergos are decent. Car felt and rode quite nice. The carfax said no hits...but im a sneaky dude and put her in the air...she had a minor hit as i could see where the bumper cover had been repaired and there was cracked plastic behind it.
Some overspray that was not factory. I also found out it was a rental...so its a limited without half the limited options...basically an xlt with leather and no sunroof

Interior was good overall but it was banged up some.

Handled good, plenty of power, roomey and comfy...i truly liked it a lot...but im gonna pass...i found another 21 nearby with 10k less miles. 1 owner ford preowned cert with waranty for 3k less...and optioned out...gonna go look at that one...plus it isnt red lol

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I drove it home and overall it was a nice ride, seats are nice, comfy, ergos are decent. Car felt and rode quite nice. The carfax said no hits...but im a sneaky dude and put her in the air...she had a minor hit as i could see where the bumper cover had been repaired and there was cracked plastic behind it.
Some overspray that was not factory. I also found out it was a rental...so its a limited without half the limited options...basically an xlt with leather and no sunroof
After I sold my car to carvana and looked at the carfax report, I saw that it wasn't detailed. Sure it listed when it was in for service and such but it offered nothing concrete.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a ST for a little bit.

Nice refinement over the 2013+ explorers.

Damn cameras were buggy as hell.

Brother had a limited as a rental for over a month. Truck in normal mode kept on gear hunting and was laggy. In sport mode to me it shifted and drove nice.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I had a ST for a little bit.

Nice refinement over the 2013+ explorers.

Damn cameras were buggy as hell.

Brother had a limited as a rental for over a month. Truck in normal mode kept on gear hunting and was laggy. In sport mode to me it shifted and drove nice.
I left it in the normal mode...shifted pretty good actually...i noticed some turbo lag but not trans lag

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I left it in the normal mode...shifted pretty good actually...i noticed some turbo lag but not trans lag

I've had probably 5 vehicles with variations of the 10R series transmission(60 v 80).
Never felt what that rental did in any other 10 speed vehicle. Maybe there was a reflash needed or just was a rental due to the transmission acting wonky.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I know i liked it tons better than the 15 i drove back in 15 lol

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Those 10 speeds are interesting critters. Mine hates it when it just gets rolling when it's cold.
Yes mine is like that, doesn't like low throttle getting rolling when cold.

There's no real issue with the Explorer transmission, just that the calibration was written by a drunk chimpanzee. The other car with the same powertrain (at least the same as the ExST) the Bronco Raptor, has a pretty good calibration from the factory. The ExST basically needs a tune to be driveable.

Users who are viewing this thread