Anyone with a 2.7L EB F150 regret not getting the 3.5?

Coiled03

Established Member
So, I'm looking at EB F150s, and I've been pretty focused on a 3.5L, or 5.0, preferably the 3.5 cuz dat torque. But, I rarely tow anything, if ever, so I wonder if I'm unnecessarily limiting my options. Is the 2.7L noticeably weaker/slower when not towing? Anybody who has a 2.7L regret not going for the 3.5L, even if you don't tow?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Have you drove a 2.7? That’s what I ordered. It’s a little powerhouse. I rarely tow either. Mine is a 18 thought, and can’t give a full review for 2 weeks. Supposed to be here next Saturday.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I only driven the 3.5 Ecoboost then made my purchase. Loving it so far! Only got 500 miles on it. Plenty of power and torque!
IMG_20180710_093520124_zpsnhi4zsmy.jpg

IMG_20180705_170739960_zpsqbfmkx6y.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Coiled03

Established Member
Have you drove a 2.7? That’s what I ordered. It’s a little powerhouse. I rarely tow either. Mine is a 18 thought, and can’t give a full review for 2 weeks. Supposed to be here next Saturday.

I've never driven any of the three of them to be honest. It's such a PITA to get a test drive, now, that I haven't bothered trying.

nxhappy

Established Member
I think they are basically the same price, might as well get the 3.5

PS I'm selling my 15 supercrew 27k miles =)

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I have a 2.7 and my father has a 3.5. I find the 2.7 to be smoother, quieter and I get 2mpg more than his. As a bonus, my 2.7 is quicker . I think the 3.5 may offer better engine breaking when towing.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Get the 5.0. Cheaper maintenance. Repairs are cheaper. No intercooler piping or turbos to deal with. It’s a great engine.

I have a friend with the 2.7 in his F150 and we have it in our Edge. It’s a great engine and I wouldn’t be afraid of getting one. They have plenty of power.

But for maintenance reasons, 5.0 all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Get the 5.0. Cheaper maintenance. Repairs are cheaper. No intercooler piping or turbos to deal with. It’s a great engine.

I have a friend with the 2.7 in his F150 and we have it in our Edge. It’s a great engine and I wouldn’t be afraid of getting one. They have plenty of power.

I probably would have gone with the 5.0 if I bought outright. But I'm leasing, so if it's a lemon after three years I can dump it.

Coiled03

Established Member

I've certainly considered the maintenance aspect. Plus, less complexity usually means less complications. Is it really that much cheaper in terms of repairs?

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Have the 2.7 in both the edge and fusion sport. They are very smooth and have good grunt. Not a big top end engine but it has power in all the right spots for daily duty.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Turbos would add components and complexity to some repairs. I wouldn’t sweat it too much though, by all accounts it’s a solid motor.

Exactly! But, coming from someone like me who owns something for quite some time, I like the 5.0 due to not having to worry about the above mentioned. Driving all three trucks listed, the 3.5 is the peppiest, the 2.7 gets the best fuel mileage and is still pretty peppy. But the 5.0 is N/A, easy to service, pulls great and doesn’t need a turbo with a ton of boost to do it.

Does anyone know if the new 5.0 Ford truck is going to be port and direct injected?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I've never driven any of the three of them to be honest. It's such a PITA to get a test drive, now, that I haven't bothered trying.

Wondering the same I’m looking hard at 16 XLT Sport package, super crew F-150’s almost all are 2.7 couple 5.0’s no 3.5. I honestly want the ecoboost. I’ve driven a rental 13 5.0 F-150 but never a ecoboost.

I haven’t bothered with a test drive I prefer to sell my Fusion than trade it in.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I have a 2.7 and my father has a 3.5. I find the 2.7 to be smoother, quieter and I get 2mpg more than his. As a bonus, my 2.7 is quicker . I think the 3.5 may offer better engine breaking when towing.

Reviews I’ve read seen say the 2.7 is pretty damn peppy.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
If not are you going or planning on buying it out? What is buyout if you lease a new one?

It all depends on how the truck treat's me these next three years. The buy out would be around 29k.

The crappy part is, Minnesota uses salt on the roads in the winter. So it's just a matter of time before any daily driver gets rust.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Exactly! But, coming from someone like me who owns something for quite some time, I like the 5.0 due to not having to worry about the above mentioned. Driving all three trucks listed, the 3.5 is the peppiest, the 2.7 gets the best fuel mileage and is still pretty peppy. But the 5.0 is N/A, easy to service, pulls great and doesn’t need a turbo with a ton of boost to do it.

Does anyone know if the new 5.0 Ford truck is going to be port and direct injected?

The 2018s 5.0 F150 did get direct and port injection.

Users who are viewing this thread