Anyone who has/had smoke on start up?

2003 CobraSVT

Established Member
Just wondering what you did to get rid of that problem? Has anyone fixed this problem? If so what was the cause? Was it the valve seals or guides? or was it the oil that gets shot right back into the intake?

Thanks in advance!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Mine smokes white smoke on start up, but I think that I am running seriously rich now that the weather is warmer. It smells like raw fuel. But I can't get anyone to give me a tune. I have worn my E-mail out trying to get a hold of tuner shops. Sambandit is willing, but I am not sure if I want to go back to a predator now that I am switched over to the SCT. I plan on getting the Pro-racer pack for the SCT once I get my money in order. I am dead broke now.

-Jeff

trey193

Established Member
Mine smokes at startup as well. I have been told by some people on the inside of SVT that the main problem is synthetic oil. SO I switched back to a reg. 5w30 oil this coupled with installing breathers in both valve covers and eliminating the pcv shoud kill my smoke at start, if not then I have to look at vavle seals or guides. My car burns no oil, makes no odd noises and runs like a top. I can live with it but its embarassing as hell. I have been told this will take several oil changes to get all the synthetic out since it bonds so well to the internal parts and nooks and crannys of a motor. We'll see.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
My car was using oil and I had hell trying to get ford to fix it. It is now in the shop getting the heads worked over. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Question. Does it just smoke after sitting say overnight? Mine did. I work for BNSF and when I would get back to my home terminal (24 hours of sitting) I would start the car and it would smoke like mad. Even smoke some under throttle right after but would clear right up and never do it again until the car wasnt started for a day.

If that is the case then I am 99% sure it is the valve seals/ valve seal guides. It was getting so bad that I was having to put a quart of oil in the car every 700 miles or so. Hopefully getting new heads will fix the problem.

I also had a home made seperator on the driver side PCV but plan on either deleting the system or going with the JLT setup as soon as I swap to a new blower.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
trey193 said:
Mine smokes at startup as well. I have been told by some people on the inside of SVT that the main problem is synthetic oil. SO I switched back to a reg. 5w30 oil this coupled with installing breathers in both valve covers and eliminating the pcv shoud kill my smoke at start, if not then I have to look at vavle seals or guides. My car burns no oil, makes no odd noises and runs like a top. I can live with it but its embarassing as hell. I have been told this will take several oil changes to get all the synthetic out since it bonds so well to the internal parts and nooks and crannys of a motor. We'll see.

That bonding is a good thing! You can run what you want but I think they handed you a line BS!

Synthetic oil is the cause of smoke at start up??? Pure :bs: from Ford.
Those clowns at SVT are probably some college kids they hired to answer the phones!

No instead they want us to run a 5w20 synthetic blend :rollseyes (factory fill)

BTW Fords 5w30 is now a synth blend too.(which is a good thing :thumbsup: )

As over heated as the guides in these things get there is no way I would run Dino oil in there ever again. That's where the tick comes from.... next step after the tick is burned exhaust valves.

Most of the guys seeing smoke are running catless and have some miles on with a smaller pulley. Not all of course some do it stock.
I still like the JLT PCV screen idea... A LOT!!!

2003 CobraSVT

Established Member
Mine Seems to smoke after I take it somewhere, let it sit for a little and start it up again, seems to smoke more when its hotter out. when i bring it home and leave it in the garage overnight, and i start the car up in the morning it does not bearly ever smoke. only when i seem to leave it outside for a little while then get back in it. but i do have to add maybe around a quart or so of oil before a change. sometimes more or less. seems to depend on how much i drive it, obviously. I also sometime get some smoke comin out when i floor it (can see it through the rear view mirror) , but that does not seem to happen to often.

trey193

Established Member
Yeah Jimmy I know what you are saying about the adhering to parts with the syn. My reason for changing was a good friend of mine had the same smoke at startup with syn, went to none syn and 2 oil changes later the smoke is gone. He said JLP has seen it time and time again with snythetic oils in these motors . I will see if the reg. oil coupled with deleting the pcv so I know its not sucking any oil in will reduce or eliminate my smoke at start.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
trey193 said:
Yeah Jimmy I know what you are saying about the adhering to parts with the syn. My reason for changing was a good friend of mine had the same smoke at startup with syn, went to none syn and 2 oil changes later the smoke is gone. He said JLP has seen it time and time again with snythetic oils in these motors . I will see if the reg. oil coupled with deleting the pcv so I know its not sucking any oil in will reduce or eliminate my smoke at start.

I don't think deleting the PVC is a good idea...
Are you running a vacu-pan or something similar???
How are you going to evacuate the crank case gasses?

I would rather have a little smoke at start up and keep the protection a full synth provides.

Why not do the PCV catch method???

Last edited:

Tucker

The more I stop/reduce the oil in my intake the less I get smoke on start up.
Your PCV is dumping oil into your intake from both valve covers all the time while running. You shut it down and that oil puddles and collects on everything just infront of the combustion chamber, TB, Plenium, rotors, intercooler and runners. On start up that oil is dumped in a large shot and burned quick and will cause the smoke.
I run a breather on the passanger side and a JLT Pre Filter on the other. Smoke is all most gone completely.

Hope this helps,

Jay

Last edited:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
I don't think deleting the PVC is a good idea...
Are you running a vacu-pan or something similar???
How are you going to evacuate the crank case gasses?

I had rather have a little smoke at start up and the protection a full synth provides.

Why not do the PCV catch method???

I KNOW eliminating the PCV is a bad idea. Those gasses in the crankcase turn to acids and mix with the oil. Acids do very bad things to bearings, etc. Also, once you warm your oil above 212 degrees, any moisture in the crankcase turns to vapor and the PCV system pulls it out of the crankcase. If you don't do that, you will inevitably get the ol' "milkshake" looking crap start to develop in there. Not good.

Remember....even in the days before PCV valves were ever thought of, cars used draft tubes to evacuate the crankcase. They would place the opening of the tube down low in the air stream so it could pull the gasses out of the crankcase.

Charles236

Established Member
I don't have a Terminator, but my Mach1 used to smoke on startup after sitting if it had been run hard before being shut off. I deduced that the oil had to be coming from the PCV system, since it only did it under those conditions, and the amount of time sitting didn't affect the amount of smoke. I added a oil vapor seperator to the PCV line, and have not experienced anymore startup smoking. Added benefits are helping to keep the oil vapors from coating the back of the intake valves, and reducing the chance of detonation caused by oil burning. As soon as my wallet recovers from the current round of modifications (gears and Truetrac differential), I will have to order one of these new PCV Pre Filters from JLT.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
LOL. I just sold my wallet so that I could afford lunch today :)

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
As over heated as the guides in these things get there is no way I would run Dino oil in there ever again. That's where the tick comes from.... next step after the tick is burned exhaust valves.

Gotta raise the B.S. Flag on that one. I have a first production run Cobra (#85). I've been running Dino oil (Castrol) since day one. No tick no nothing. I've road raced the car at the Motorsport Ranch and at Texas World Speedway at sustained speeds up to 140mph. I've also had the car on the strip. ...just pure B.S.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Hicompression said:
Gotta raise the B.S. Flag on that one. I have a first production run Cobra (#85). I've been running Dino oil (Castrol) since day one. No tick no nothing. I've road raced the car at the Motorsport Ranch and at Texas World Speedway at sustained speeds up to 140mph. I've also had the car on the strip. ...just pure B.S.

Perhaps you missunderstood the point of my post..

I Would never run dino oil again!

Because you have no tick running dino just means you are one of the lucky ones.
I has absolutely no bearing on IF anyone else may develope the tick or not.

So what part of my post is BS???

The tick comes from over heated guides that loosen up???
or
"next step after the tick is burned exhaust valves"???

Or
Is it BS that I feel that running full synth is a justified safe guard???

trey193

Established Member
As Tucker said and I have saw first hand with removing the blower twice now for blower swaps. My intercooler is nasty as hell and this only with 7000 miles on it. I wanted no oil whatsoever making its way into the intake tract first so I could diagnose my problem which is why i removed the pcv and installed breathers in both sides, thus if my smoking quits i know it was a result of the pcv also I drive my car once on the weekends and own a quick lube so there will never be any milkshake in my pan. I expect to see the results Tucker has here fairly soon.

Users who are viewing this thread