Anyone using Diablo chips or heard anything about them?

Jens03GT

Established Member
I have heard a lot about them. I was just curious if any of you had experience with them. I have been reading up on them and they seem alright. Just wondering what you guys think. Let me know. If you have any good links that would be great. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Diablo chips are fine...I have one in the Cobra and the GT.

Just curious, but what will be the purpose of the chip?

On a stock GT, you will see minimal power gains, but it's useful for other things. For intance...adjusting for a gear swap, changing the shift points on an auto, disabling traction control, disabling the rear O2 sensors for an off road h-pipe.

A chip will most likely void your warranty, so keep that in mind.

If you put a supercharger on the car, then a chip isn't an option, it's necessary to handle fuel delivery, timing etc.

Jens03GT

Established Member
I am not going to use it on a stock GT. I am going to put my headers, full exhuast, front to back, excuse me if the wording is not correct, possible cold air intake. Right now I am mostly taking suggestions on good mods. Someone referred the chip to me so I am just getting opinions.

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
The usual first mods on a GT are:

K&N drop-in filter or CAI (for looks)
Highflow catted midpipe
Catback exhaust
Timing adjuster
Underdrive pullies
Short throw shifter (for manuals)
3.73 or 4.10 gears

IMO, headers are a waste of money on a non-supercharged car. Install is expensive and a PITA for minimal gains or maybe even a loss of torque.

If you plan to supercharge in the future, save the headers till last. A chip is not necessary for any of the above listed mods unless you have an auto and change rear gears.

edit...forgot...lowering springs are a must!!

Last edited:

Jens03GT

Established Member
Thanks. About the shifter... I have been asking around for advice and mostly I am hearring that the Pro 5.0 is damn good. Definitley short shifter though. Really appreciate the advice.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
For the shifter, go with a Pro 5.0 or a Steeda Tri-ax. I have the Steeda in my 99 and the Pro 5.0 in the Cobra. They're both good. The Steeda is a little notchier, but that may just be tranny related.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Eibach is good. Just don't go too low on the springs and find out if caster camber plates are needed.

I have the steeda sport springs, Tokico illumina adjustable shocks and struts and steeda aluminum upper & lower control arms on my 99. It handles a TON better than stock.

CobraCallie

Banned
For a GT with other mods.. I'd recommend the edlebrock aluminum heads.. I've had alot of friends with GTs put those on and gain a significant amound of rwhp. Ask BlackGeeTee about his.. I remember talking to him about it.. and reading his dyno slips.

Also look into the ford racing intakes if you're gonna have those aluminum headers..

And I agree completely with Tracy, UD pulleys, 3:73 gears I perfer over 4:10, and the Eibach lowering springs is what I got on my cobra.. and I love it, but I had to get bbk caster camber plates with it.

As for a chip, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're going heavy modding.

Blah Blah Blah.. :whine:

Jens03GT

Established Member
Yeah I wasn't too sure about the chip right away. Just curious to see what people are running with them. My friend as the Eibach lowering springs. I love em'. I think that stance looks so much better if the car is lowered. They just look too high stock.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Chip=instavoidwarranty but the other things might also.

Would do chip after you have done all your mods, so you can have it burned right.

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraCallie
For a GT with other mods.. I'd recommend the edlebrock aluminum heads.. I've had alot of friends with GTs put those on and gain a significant amound of rwhp. Ask BlackGeeTee about his.. I remember talking to him about it.. and reading his dyno slips.

Also look into the ford racing intakes if you're gonna have those aluminum headers..

And I agree completely with Tracy, UD pulleys, 3:73 gears I perfer over 4:10, and the Eibach lowering springs is what I got on my cobra.. and I love it, but I had to get bbk caster camber plates with it.

As for a chip, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're going heavy modding.

Blah Blah Blah.. :whine:

How much are heads for a 4.6 just curious ! ! Those have got to be a ton !

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Callie...do they have new heads for the 99+ cars? I've been focused on the 03 for the last year, so I'm a little out of touch.

Jen...I've been through most of the available mods for the newer GT's, including a Bullitt intake swap and an ATI Procharger. Any specific questions, just ask away.
I don't know all the answers, but I know a few.

1.5 inches is good. That's what the Steeda sport springs did and I didn't need caster camber plates.

Jens03GT

Established Member
I am not quite sure. Not too worried about the cost. Never put cheap anything on a car if you want it to last. MY car will only have the best.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Originally posted by Jens03GT
I thought that headers would viod the warrenty, no?

I don't think they would, but if they have any sort of sensor on them, it just might.

Users who are viewing this thread