Anyone using COMP CAMS STAGE 3 XFI NSR BLOWER CAMSHAFTS on VMP GEN2 STG3 setup?

Zona14Stang

Established Member
I was thinking of doing the Oil Pump Gears and was wondering if it is worth it to change out the cams since I would have everything torn down? Would I notice a difference at low end say 2000 - 4000 or is it alll top end? Just curious if anyone has used or is using them?
Would it be stupid since I have not done anything to the bottom end of the motor?
Thanks

James Calhoun

Established Member
Bump for any new info. Thinking about adding these to the new forged lower end build and just wondering if anyone daily drives with them also. Any info with say ported heads and these cams also. Boost will be 15# and up on my build.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I think VMP has been playing with cams. Try to ask them directly. Cams would be a waste on anything less then a max effort build. My tuner is planning on installing them in his car this winter, I'll wait to see how they turn out for him.

Zona14Stang

Established Member
I decided against them at this time. Justin said I might gain 20- 30 rwhp with changing only the intake cams. Since I am on corn and already pushing the limits on a stock short block I am just doing the JPC budget E85 system, MMR OPG, MMR Timing gear, and ATI superblancer. Let me know if anyone does use them and how they work. I also heard that it is more for high rpm and again on the stock block probably not a good idea. I also did not want to loose any low end torque. I will post picks when I do the installation.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Cams are good...

They lower boost, and make the engine more efficient. The 11-14 cams kind of choke things up top.

You can change only the intake cam and get good gains. A comp stage 2 or stage 3 is what i recommend on intake side, and i think the comp stage 3 is way more than you need on exh side. A smaller exh cam like stage 1 or 2 will make the car run smoother, and should keep MPG up more too. But like I said, you don't even have to change exhaust to see some level of gain.

Zona14Stang

Established Member
Cams are good...

They lower boost, and make the engine more efficient. The 11-14 cams kind of choke things up top.

You can change only the intake cam and get good gains. A comp stage 2 or stage 3 is what i recommend on intake side, and i think the comp stage 3 is way more than you need on exh side. A smaller exh cam like stage 1 or 2 will make the car run smoother, and should keep MPG up more too. But like I said, you don't even have to change exhaust to see some level of gain.

OK back on the fence for me. Would I loose any low end torque? By lowering the boost is that easier on the motor? I was thinking horsepower is horsepower.
For normal daily driving with a little hard acceleration here and there would you notice the cams? Will it kill my gas mileage anymore? I have not started my OPG
install yet and since I am pretty much there still thinking about it. Would you say more of the gains are above 5k and with a smaller pulley? or is a stg 3 set up with 79mm going to notice the gains? Also I believe you said not to use the phase limiters with the new intake cams correct?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer this post
Have a good one.

redline5.0

Established Member
Just do what vmp said, you can call comp cams and get the stage 3 exh and stage 1 int cams or visa versa.

Last edited:

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
DO NOT RUN PHASER LIMITERS, they are what kill torque, as long as you can fully advance the intake cam, you will not loose any tq. The bigger exh cam will result in a little loss of part throttle torque and MPG, but in all reality the comp off the shelf grinds are not "BIG" by any stretch.

I can help with the mix and match comp stuff.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
we run the stage 3 comp with lockouts.. car goes 166 mph... not too worried about torque loss.

the comps are a really nice setup,

like justin said, they work well. anytime you can lower boost and make the same or more power, it's easier on the engine. same thing as adding headers, you typically will drop some boost, but pick up top up.

let us know if we can help with the comps at all. also , e85 is great on these cars. we have some great fore setups if your looking to go that route as well

Users who are viewing this thread