Anyone use this shifter?

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I read a tech article on this in the Dec 02 issue of 5.0 Mustang. It's the MGW adjustable shifter handle. I figured it'd be a cheap alternative to a shifter since the last time I did one I dorked up the seal on the base pretty good. IMO the stock shifter is fine I just want to eliminate the slop and like the idea of being able to adjust the orientation. So like I said anyone know anyone who thinks they know someone who installed it. :shrug:

shiftkit-x.jpg

03DOHC

Established Member
Me told myself, that I installed it on me's car.;-)

Works great! Better feel than stock. Nice and crisp. I'm not buying a shifter for mine. I like it.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I give it two thumbs up!:D

Last edited:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Well I found it hard to belive something so inexpensive would have gotten the review that they gave it, so I had to ask. So is it hard to adjust? Is it possible to finally get the shifter knob oriented to personnal fit? Lastly can you retain the stock shifter knob?

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
Well I found it hard to belive something so inexpensive would have gotten the review that they gave it, so I had to ask. So is it hard to adjust? Is it possible to finally get the shifter knob oriented to personnal fit? Lastly can you retain the stock shifter knob?
No. Yes. Yes.:D

I used the two small round washers instead of the big single one. A little more NVH, but not nearly as loud as my Pro 5.0 was on my '97 Cobra.

Last edited:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Thanks for the info, this will give me something to look forward to doing when I get the car back. I've really got to find a way to improve my shifting and make this next clutch last longer.

OBTW are you guys experiencing board problems? I could see that there were replied to the thread but every time I clicked on it all I'd get was my original post. Or was I just impatient and catching you guys while you were still typing?:shrug:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
[Partially Excerpted...]

Be aware that the handle is comprised of two separate pieces, compromising overall strength. Apply some Loctite Tite’N for Bolts on the screws that hold the telescopic shaft in place as they will tend to back out under hard shifting. I have the MGW + PRO-5.0 combo on my '03.

Aside from the shorter throws, the difference in general 'feel' between the MGW vs. MGW+ PRO-5.0 is negligible. In fact, I found the MGW alone to be quite satisfactory.

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
I put the MGW in the yesterday. 3rd much easier now. Also going 6th-3rd and other downshifts much better. Took me(mod noob) 15min. Postban has great pics for reference.:beer:

jason

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
MGW makes quality products and also backs them up very well. Anything they make is highly recommended.

:beer:

Snoker

Established Member
I installed MGW about 2 weeks ago, made a big difference in shifting ease and finding 3rd gear. However, I did notice more transmission noise. But will live with it for ease and precise manner of shift that MGW offers. Also got the shifter closer to me, less reaching in 3rd and 5th.

mm49

Established Member
Running the MGW Handle with a Steeda Tri-axe !!! The Ultimate setup IMHO. I love the reach and the way it shifts !

JL

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I read the article as well and plan to make the Steeda Tri-Ax with the MSW shifter handle my first mod. From everything I am hearing and reading this seems to be the optimum setup. Thanks for everyone's comments!

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
http://www.mgwltd.com/ good people , fast shipping.

Love mine. My trouble has been in down shifting to 3rd. The handle definately helps feel and shift, but does a tri-ax or 5.0 help the 3rd gear down shift. This happened twice on a road course and it made for an interesting turn in. I am going to switch to Mobil 1 syn tran fluid. I believe that should help with shifts and vibrations. Love the MGW handle.

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by mm49
Running the MGW Handle with a Steeda Tri-axe !!! The Ultimate setup IMHO. I love the reach and the way it shifts !

JL

I'm glad that like this combo. For me, though, I could not get used to it; I prefer the shorter, more upright Tri-Ax handle. I do, however, have the MGW Race Knob and L O V E it!

Users who are viewing this thread