Anyone use D-link routers? I'm tired of Linksys

DesertMach

Established Member
I have had 2 of those routers, the first one lasted about 2 months and then the DHCP quit working and would only work as a switch. the second has been working great for quite a while now...

Before you ask the first one I bought used, thats why I didn't return it.

txyaloo

Established Member
I love my 3 year old WRT54G Linksys router. One of the best routers on the market in my mind. Especially with the hacked firmware. I think the firmware is one of the biggest Linksys problems. Never had a problem with any Linksys router running one of the alternative firmwares available on the net. Wifibox and DD-WRT just rock.

My Wifibox firmware has a builtin VPN/Telnet server, lets me increase/decrease the gain of the antennas, and runs a built in DNS server. I have to reboot the router once every 3-4 months. Other than that, it's rock solid.

JasonSnake

Established Member
yeah, except for the version 5 WRT54G's. As far as I know, those are not flashable. Maybe they saw what everyone on the internet was doing with those routers V. 4 and older. lol

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Snarf said:
You guys are cracking me up, saying to stay away from Linksys and deal with D-link or Netgear... Linksys is the McLaren of network equipment, its teh retail division of Cisco. Netgear and D-link are hit-and-miss POS devices.QUOTE]

Are you joking? Just because Cisco happened to buy Linksys doesn't automatically make them the "McLaren of network equipment". Their stuff is still absolute junk.

More like the "Yugo of network equipment".

txyaloo

Established Member
JasonSnake said:
yeah, except for the version 5 WRT54G's. As far as I know, those are not flashable. Maybe they saw what everyone on the internet was doing with those routers V. 4 and older. lol

There's a version of DD-WRT available that works on the V5's. It was released a few months back and seems to work great. I was having DHCP issues and frequent wireless disconnects on one of my v5's till I changed the firmware over. Router's been rock solid since.

03DOHC

Established Member
Snarf said:
You guys are cracking me up, saying to stay away from Linksys and deal with D-link or Netgear... Linksys is the McLaren of network equipment, its teh retail division of Cisco. Netgear and D-link are hit-and-miss POS devices.
This is the funniest thing I've read in a while. I've seen the quality of linksys go down since cisco purchased them and I've seen just as many defective linksys routers as I have netgear, d-link, and not as common, but it does happen, bad cisco routers. The cisco employees are the worst ones to convince their equipment is bad. They simply can't believe it. Funny stuff.

JasonSnake

Established Member
txyaloo said:
There's a version of DD-WRT available that works on the V5's. It was released a few months back and seems to work great. I was having DHCP issues and frequent wireless disconnects on one of my v5's till I changed the firmware over. Router's been rock solid since.

That's awesome to know man, thanks! I had to buy a V5 right away or else I could have waited to et a pre-V5 on ebay. Looks like I don't have to return the thing after all once I would havegotten the older one in the maill. Glad I held off on ordering it..

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I had a Linksys that took a crap after a year, needed constant resets, was always dropping my connection. I went to Netgear and never looked back.

I've had the WPN824 for about a year and a half, I've never had to reset it. In a 3,800sq ft. two story, it covers everywhere. And it's located upstairs in the far corner of the house.

N100-1672-a.JPG

LogiWorld123

Established Member
i have a microsoft wireless router, has not had to reset/turn off in 3 years.

strange i know. when i had wired intranet, i used a 3com router. YMMV as most of it nowadays is all the same tawaianese crap.

91hatch

Established Member
Brother just got a linksys router yesterday was fairly easy to set up and havent had any problems so far hopefully it will stay that way!

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
I've had the WPN824 for about a year and a half, I've never had to reset it. In a 3,800sq ft. two story, it covers everywhere. And it's located upstairs in the far corner of the house.

N100-1672-a.JPG

My neighbor has one of these and it's been working great for the 6 months he's had it. Never had to reset it.

The signal is so strong that I can pick it up full strength from my house across the street and he's got the thing in his basement. Not bad.

JDStud6

Established Member
03Sssnake said:
All good points on the fw and ventilation. I do disagree on the McLaren of network equipment comment..In the words of Dr. Dre N**ga Plz... You will not find Linksys in too many company network infrastructures, its really meant for the home user, and small business owners..There is much better equipment out there, but you will pay a pretty penny for it.

Yes, he said it is a good retail product. He never mentioned commercial use, so obviously it's not used in large company networks. But I would say Linksys is still the best for home users, followed by Netgear.

I've used a Linksys G router for years with no problem. If you have issues, try upgrading firmware. If it just keeps dying and wont power on, then its probably an issue with the power you are giving to it. Perhaps lightning or something.

JD

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
my linksys router alng with my netgear wireless thingy & im zooooooming just fine!

Good luck with your new set of tools.

Users who are viewing this thread