Anyone use D-link routers? I'm tired of Linksys

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Well, long story short, my Wireless-G router from Linksys is a piece of junk. This is my fourth Linksys in about 3 years. :loser: I have no idea why I kept buying them.

Anywhoooooooo, I'm thinking about this D-link router. We use one at our church for the local network and I haven't heard any complaints from those that use it (secretary, etc.).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127028
33-127-028-04.JPG

If you read some of the reviews, it's almost as if Linksys is sending people over to Newegg to give Dlink's stuff bad reviews. Everything, "Don't buy this, buy Linksys." :loser:

hoamskilet

Established Member
I've used a D-link trouble free for about the last year and a half or so (also replaced a bad linksys)

Kysnake03

Established Member
My wireless G linksys just went out this week, it last 1.5 yrs.. I think I am going back with the Linksys n mode router, 12 times faster than the G.

PDubs

Established Member
I stay far away from Linksys and a little away from D-Link. Never had a problem with any Netgear equipment.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I've installed several D-link and Linksys routers and have had issues with each, replaced them all with Netgear, no issues since..........

DSM Storm

Established Member
The problem I notice with the linksys routers are mainly due to DHCP leasing. I was always having router lock-ups and IP conflicts. I had enough of that $hit, I setup all the hosts running off that router to use static addresses and shut down DHCP broadcasting. Problem solved.

Storm

JasonSnake

Established Member
I just bought a Linksys WRT 54G wireless. But I was using a DLink 524M. The only problem I had with it was accessing its setup program.. I would have to disconnect it (NOT reset it though) and reconnect it again so I can get into setup.

Internet wise, never gave me a problem with that.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I had a linksys router (non-wireless) for 4 or 5 years, no trouble at all. I quit using it when Verizon gave me a free D-Link wireless G router with the fiber optic internet I had installed... It too has worked, with out any problems, for the last 9 months.

I think you can have problems with anything made by man :-D

If I was buying one, price would be the biggest deciding factor.

BTW the Verizon internet is blazingly fast... 15 mega bits/sec for $34.99 a month :pepper:

-Brian

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
my Dlink G router gave me nothing but problems. i got rid of it and went for Linksys G router. works beautifully.

PhotonSabreX

Motor City Slicker
Established Member
I'm surfing using an identical model right now...I've probably had it for about 2 years now with no unfixable problems...I guess just based on this thread that I must be REALLY lucky though. I've had horrible problems with the older school linksys router that's black with blue face trim. those from my experience are terrible.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
D-Link and Linksys are basically consumer grade junk that you find at Best Buy.

Everyone I know who ever purchased one of those brands ALWAYS had problems.

Get yourself a nice mid to high grade Netgear router. You probably won't find them at Best Buy though. You'll have to go somewhere like Tiger Direct.

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
You guys are cracking me up, saying to stay away from Linksys and deal with D-link or Netgear... Linksys is the McLaren of network equipment, its teh retail division of Cisco. Netgear and D-link are hit-and-miss POS devices.

If you are having consistent trouble with your router, you need to look at two things:

1. have you done a flash update on it in the last year? No? Shame on you. Flash it and you'll be suprised how much faster/better it works.

2. You do keep the router in a well ventilated spot, don't you? you don;t? Shame shame shame. These things need airflow. Workign for 6 months with zero airflow is damned impressive.

Update it and make sure it can breathe.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
PDubs said:
I stay far away from Linksys and a little away from D-Link. Never had a problem with any Netgear equipment.

bingo!!..I thought linksys would have gotten better after cisco bought them and started writing the firmware (latest rev on mine) and WebUI for linksys...My wireless G bombs out all of the time..The wireless netgear seems to be ok. I am still thinking of spending alittle extra loot and going with business/enterprise class router.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Snarf said:
You guys are cracking me up, saying to stay away from Linksys and deal with D-link or Netgear... Linksys is the McLaren of network equipment, its teh retail division of Cisco. Netgear and D-link are hit-and-miss POS devices.

If you are having consistent trouble with your router, you need to look at two things:

1. have you done a flash update on it in the last year? No? Shame on you. Flash it and you'll be suprised how much faster/better it works.

2. You do keep the router in a well ventilated spot, don't you? you don;t? Shame shame shame. These things need airflow. Workign for 6 months with zero airflow is damned impressive.

Update it and make sure it can breathe.

All good points on the fw and ventilation. I do disagree on the McLaren of network equipment comment..In the words of Dr. Dre N**ga Plz... You will not find Linksys in too many company network infrastructures, its really meant for the home user, and small business owners..There is much better equipment out there, but you will pay a pretty penny for it.

horseplay

Crazy MMA Junkie
Established Member
Thats what we have...... It kicks me off here and now, Because something with the phone. I dont know....

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
I have had nothing but problems from lynksys. and d-link. I have been trouble free with my Buffalo router for almost a year. I say try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread