Anyone use a brush on there car?

Allan Byrd

Established Member
I have read a lot of these thread, and a lot on detailing forums. I am a little new to this but I have to ask. Is there any type of brush that is recommended to use to scrub your car? Not just the wheels but the paint. I never read any threads that talk about it. Even sites that sell detailing supplies brushes for the paint itself are very limited on the sites. Just curious, as I am wondering if this is damaging my paint. The one I use is super soft, but nothing special, just some knock off brand. I have seen the boar's hair brush and that is about it. It looks to be more rough than the one I use.

Allan Byrd

Established Member
Haha, I hear ya. Like I said kinda new to taking good quality care of the paint. After reading so many threads, I figured it was going to be a carnal sin to put a brush on it. But like I said, I am new to all the detailing. All these years I had never realized there was so much to taking care of the paint, and what it takes to make it look really good.

Spade

Established Member

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
If you have soft paint, I wouldn't go near it even with the finest brush. I do use a wheel brush on the rims, and even then carefully.

Just the thought of the hours of work I would lose (and then put back in) if a brush swirled my paint gives me cold chills up my spine.

oldmodman

Established Member
Not on the surface paint finish.

I do use a brush cleaning the door jams and under the hood.

And I do use specially made wheel brushes. But to clean the chrome lug nuts I use a foam lug nut tool.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
I would stay with a microfiber sponge. There is no need for a brush on the paint unless you want tiny scratches to your clear coat. That's almost like running your car through an auto car wash.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I would stay with a microfiber sponge. There is no need for a brush on the paint unless you want tiny scratches to your clear coat. That's almost like running your car through an auto car wash.

I'd recommend a plush microfiber towel or a wash mitt. Sponges are almost as bad for your paint as brushes.....

Microfiber "sponges" are designed to be used as applicators and should NOT be used for washing painted surfaces.

Users who are viewing this thread