Anyone tip hotel housekeeping?

waggs

icy.i see.eye sea.icee.
Established Member
When I visited Vegas my friends asked if I ever leave tips for hotel housekeeping and I replied that I never thought of it. I usually keep my room clean anyway and pick up after myself before I checkout. Just wondering if anyone actually does.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
When I visited Vegas my friends asked if I ever leave tips for hotel housekeeping and I replied that I never thought of it. I usually keep my room clean anyway and pick up after myself before I checkout. Just wondering if anyone actually does.

i do. i typically leave $5 a day. those poor ladies dont make shit and have a crappy job.
my friend is a cheap skate and says no (nothing). he says its already paid for in the bill. he has no problem tipping waiters 15% though :rollseyes

waggs

icy.i see.eye sea.icee.
Established Member
This weekend I visited San Antonio and left a few bucks on the nightstand before we checked out. We were running a little late and didn't have time to pick up everything (towels, a few wrappers, etc) later that day we got something to drink and the wife said I forgot some money in the room and so she took it. Kinda felt bad even tho she didn't realize what it was for.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Yeah we normally leave $2 bucks when its a normal place. We stayed in the OMNI in Manhattan and it was like $400/night. Yeah I didnt tip anything there lol. Cost me enough already.

wht93gted

Established Member
Always, and always on the first day for the entire trip. You'll be amazed how much of a better job they'll do. Not all of them, but most will.
If I'm staying for more than 2 or 3 days, I'll find the house keeping the next morning, and give her like $5-$10 per day up front.

When we were in Vegas last time, $50 the first day. The lady did our freaking laundry, it was awesome.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I've never tipped the house keeper. When we went to Cali back in March my mom left a tip the first day, but housekeeping didn't take it. So the second day she put more money in the same spot and they still didn't take it lol.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Always, and always on the first day for the entire trip. You'll be amazed how much of a better job they'll do. Not all of them, but most will.
If I'm staying for more than 2 or 3 days, I'll find the house keeping the next morning, and give her like $5-$10 per day up front.

When we were in Vegas last time, $50 the first day. The lady did our freaking laundry, it was awesome.

i dont want a stranger doing my laundry. im not creeped out or anything i just dont want my clothes getting messed up lol. but not a bad idea

I don't but I also leave the do not disturb sign on my entire stay

i have done that before. so they dont have to clean the room at all until the last day. then i leave $5 for the one day of cleaning. depends on my funds in my wallet lol. its nice to have fresh towels every day though. especially if traveling with woman/kids

I've never tipped the house keeper. When we went to Cali back in March my mom left a tip the first day, but housekeeping didn't take it. So the second day she put more money in the same spot and they still didn't take it lol.

they likely didnt want to touch it because they could be mistaken in that you guys left some money behind while out and about. they dont want to assume that's for them. imagine if it wasnt? talk about getting fired real fast lol. next time leave a note with it if you want to do that. otherwise its safer to wait till the guest is gone. its customary for the guest to leave the tip after they leave for good so if there is $ there its ok to assume its for you (worker).

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
$5 a day or just tip them at the end and use the do not disturb sign during your stay.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I feel like a cheap skate because I never do, except on our honeymoon I believe we did on our cruise I often travel for work and they always put us in nice hotels. As others have stated half the time I leave the do not disturb sign up when I am at hotels, only thing I need is towels every few days. I just returned from a 16 day trip and the hotel charged us 18 dollars a day to valet park the car (cant park car yourself). Everyday we were getting the car out and they always seemed to look at you when they brought the car around waiting for a tip. If they were not charging us 18 bucks a day per car (had multiple cars) for the service I would have tipped them but when you are gone 16 days paying 18 bucks a day plus tips adds up real quick.

MFE

Established Member
I do if it's a long stay or I've made a mess of the place. Kid barfs in the bathroom = $20

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
$5.00 everyday by the phone or television. If I'm there for an extended stay or vacation, I prefer to tip heavy in person on the first morning.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I feel like a cheap skate because I never do, except on our honeymoon I believe we did on our cruise I often travel for work and they always put us in nice hotels. As others have stated half the time I leave the do not disturb sign up when I am at hotels, only thing I need is towels every few days. I just returned from a 16 day trip and the hotel charged us 18 dollars a day to valet park the car (cant park car yourself). Everyday we were getting the car out and they always seemed to look at you when they brought the car around waiting for a tip. If they were not charging us 18 bucks a day per car (had multiple cars) for the service I would have tipped them but when you are gone 16 days paying 18 bucks a day plus tips adds up real quick.

doesnt your work pay for the travel and rental car and parking it?

i hate hotels that charge to keep the car at their hotel. usually only in big cities where there is no room to park anywhere. ive seen as high as $30 a day! :eek:

but then yeah it sucks if you're supposed to tip the valet out of your own pocket every day for two weeks. and same with hotel room.

HeyNow!

Established Member
Yes, you should leave a tip. In a normal place, $2-3 a day is fine.

I usually stay about 10 days at a time and just leave my do not disturb sign on the entire time. When I check out I'll leave a $20 on the dresser.

Users who are viewing this thread