Anyone running the Kenne Bell CAI system???

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Jcard cool idea. :) A little work yeah but we should have fun doing it. The end result of an accomplished well job done is what id like. Plus the other CAI pipes that does not have any ceramic coating touch them. Its hotter then the freeking stock housing.

j card

Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
So the KB CAI is nothing but a 12" filter and a hose and I assume a maf adapter? Hmm, simple enough.

You got it. Here's my first attempt at posting photos:

vnms 03

I am also running the kenne bell CAI. So far I like it I can definatley tell a SOTP difference and haven't experienced any probablems with it.

j card

Established Member
This is the view from underneath. The bottom edge is the lower moulding under the nose, the upper right is the fenderwell. You cam almost see the intercoooler hoses behind the filter.

KOTH

Hang loose - travel light
Established Member
Originally posted by kpinco
Patience!!!! (smile) Mine is positioned so you can see the filter through the hole next to the fog light.

I live in Florida and its impossible to avoid the rain. Will the filter see rain if it is in the position you describe?

j card

Established Member
Originally posted by KOTH
I live in Florida and its impossible to avoid the rain. Will the filter see rain if it is in the position you describe?

It shouldn't be too bad, I think the bulk of the water would be thrown by the tire and it's pretty well shielded by the wheel well liner from that. You could always shorten the hose and mount it a little higher if you want to.

John

kpinco

Established Member
Koth: What j card said.

j card: great pics! Exactly where mine is located. Did you see the link I posted about the anderson filter? What do you think?? At higher speeds that filter will act like a ram air. I'm waiting to KB to get back to me on their opinion.

j card

Established Member
I don't think that the hole is large enough to get any real ram effect. For real ram air, you're talking about building some positive pressure in the air inlet. First, you'd need a somewhat sealed box to get it to pressurize, then you have to get more air into it than the engine is already consuming. I don't think that you're going to get that much air through that hole. Even if you made a box and used that hole and the fog light hole, I don't think it would be enough to see any real ram effect. I think the KB site said that they removed the headlight and ran a tube straight out into the airflow and only got a small gain at over 100MPH. I'd just stck with the filter you have.

Glad you guys liked the pics - glad to be able to help out.

John

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Thats sweet. Prefect set up. U should get the max out of the air ur hitting, as your going crazy fast. Hey what about the rain? Doesnt it cause problems for u engine?

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Originally posted by Silver TT
(underhood) temperature can be 150° hotter (+10°=1%HP loss) and result in up to 50HP loss!

Interesting statement. 50HP loss means that the underhood temperature is 500 degrees higher than outside temperature, so on your average May day that means your engine is running a little under 600 degrees Farenheight.

I somehow doubt that. I could believe 15 hp though based on that statement (which I'm sure it's true that for every 10d difference, there is ~1hp loss). However, I think its probably less than that because we are talking about intake charge temperature, and I don't think the delta is as big as they would have you believe. When the element is placed under hood with a shield, you will still suck some engine heat, though most of the air will come from the hole in the fenderwall. In addition, underhood temperatures are far lower when the vehicle is in motion than when it is stationary.

I am sure the KB will show more real world gains than my steeda; however for me it's not 100% about performance. When I open my hood to show off, I would like something that's also nice to look at. So I'll settle with the steeda since it's nice to look at and while it doesn't provide the MOST gains, it provides an acceptible gain over stock.

Sorry to ramble, just kind of got thinking in a singular direction (I'm studying for the LSAT and working on the whole directional logic thing :) )

Last edited:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
For what its worth, I installed a striaght 9" filter directly up to the MAF, after having the UPR CAI for about 6 months. I dyno'd 463 with the UPR, best I can get with the 9" was 455. The only other change from the 1st dyno to the next was a Billetflow idler install. Same Dyno, about 4 months apart. Not sure if that tells you anything. Position of the MAF wasn't changed. I was looking to pick up HP due to fixing the belt slippage issue. So not sure where the loss came from.

kpinco

Established Member
j card: Thanks for your thoughts on the anderspn filter. You are absolutely correct. I forgot about the test KB did with the straight tube (bazoka as they call it) on the dyno.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
03S...strange that it should happen. Maybe the UPR CAI worked o.k.?

But as Sonic is stating he cares to show of his nice ride so wants all parts associated that way.... its cool that way.

Jcards Ideas do have very good weight. All tuners i had seen always says its how clean you get the air in the Engine, that will make the power. Heat is not good thus i would prefer to stick with the ones that GIVES US THE BETTER CHANCE TO TAKE IN THE COLDER AIR. Performance reasons of course.

Why cant we get both? Nice Clean Look & the location were Jcards has his?

j card

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
03S...strange that it should happen. Maybe the UPR CAI worked o.k.?

But as Sonic is stating he cares to show of his nice ride so wants all parts associated that way.... its cool that way.

Jcards Ideas do have very good weight. All tuners i had seen always says its how clean you get the air in the Engine, that will make the power. Heat is not good thus i would prefer to stick with the ones that GIVES US THE BETTER CHANCE TO TAKE IN THE COLDER AIR. Performance reasons of course.

Why cant we get both? Nice Clean Look & the location were Jcards has his?

You could use something like the tube and shield from the UPR or densecharger, and then run the hose from there down to the filter down low. Of course then you'd have to buy two kits and you'd have some pieces left over. You'd end up spending something like $300 for the air intake. Maybe if you did it with used stuff you could do it wothout spending too much money.

John

jonas

Established Member
Man my home made ram air in my 93 gt looks much nicer than tha kb pos. They should maybe make a plastic hardpipe with a plate up to the fender opening and use that dryer duct riceboy pipe to the filter where it wont be seen.

Holy hole in a doghnut batman I have an idea!! what about using a densencharger (sp?) and butcher the kb pipe down, with the 12 inch filter? IMHO those crappy lil filters look restrictive in most cai's

and speaking of laminar air flow. that lumpy ass hose doesnt exactly look very efficient at moving air at high speed.

Users who are viewing this thread