Anyone Run A Hellcat yet?

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
Hey guys,

First let start out by saying I'm not a troll. I actually had a 2008 GT500 (Kona Blue/White Stripes). It's just crazy when I think about how awesome the muscle car / performance car world is now in 2016. My 540bhp baby would not have survived this war :)

I was looking for a new car around August of 2015 and there were really just 2 cars that excited me. The GT350 and the Hellcat. Completely different cars on many levels, but I knew both would be around the same price and both would offer a visceral driving experience unmatched by anything Europe or Japan could create. I just love an American V8!

I'd been lurking on this site and Hellcat.org trying to get as much info as possible. It seemed getting a GT350 would be impossible and also not many were going to be made in 2015. On the other front, I got luck when a guy backed out of a Hellcat order because they were only making manual transmission in the latter half of 2015. Dealer offered to order a manual for me, my specs, MSRP. No markup, nothing. So instead of waiting another year + for the GT, I got the Hellcat. Here are some photos.

12095058_10153780737711177_7819288163512724284_o.jpg
12120200_10153780737956177_2304751140773617974_o.jpg
12038576_10156277094175105_7155591910713401032_o.jpg

She's nowhere near the track capable car the GT350 is, but she does go like hell! She's more of a nascar for the public roads. Sure I would have preferred the GT350's driving experience, but I think for my lifestyle, the Hellcat probably provides more daily fun (I do more highway blasts than backroad blasts).

That being said, has anyone run a GT350 yet against a Hellcat? I think it would be pretty close for sure. God knows I can't get the Hellcat to hook up no matter what I do. I could beat my Hellcat with a GT 5.0 stang 0-60 all day. That car you can just dump and go. I'd sit there and spin.

Anyway, I hope you guys get your cars soon. It's an amazing machine and I can't wait to see one on the road. (And then maybe blow a door off...I think:))

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
Oh and guys, don't pay over sticker. I have a friend who paid 10K over for his Hellcat in New York City. He's still butt hurt every time he sees my car and realizes I have the same thing but paid much less. 5-10K is A LOT to pay over for something that depreciates once you drive off the lot.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
I loved my Hellcat and got it for $500 over invoice last Summer. I traded it for the GT350 and love both of them for very different reasons. I would love to run them, but I think a Hellcat with an automatic will be hard to beat in a straight line.

I had a manual so it could well be a drivers race, but I am just speculating on it as I can't run against myself :-D ........Steve

Last edited:

93oh

Established Member
I have Hellcat a8 on order and have GT 350. The GT 350 has more than enough to give a Hellcat fits on quarter track and my GT 500. You spin a bit and that Voodoo will whip your ass.. Because I have zero traction into 3rd with 2014 GT 500 and the GT 350 is way better balanced machine and has serious horsepower from idle to 7 k ( 500 mile break in).

RusWolf

Established Member
Hey guys,

First let start out by saying I'm not a troll. I actually had a 2008 GT500 (Kona Blue/White Stripes). It's just crazy when I think about how awesome the muscle car / performance car world is now in 2016. My 540bhp baby would not have survived this war :)

I was looking for a new car around August of 2015 and there were really just 2 cars that excited me. The GT350 and the Hellcat. Completely different cars on many levels, but I knew both would be around the same price and both would offer a visceral driving experience unmatched by anything Europe or Japan could create. I just love an American V8!

I'd been lurking on this site and Hellcat.org trying to get as much info as possible. It seemed getting a GT350 would be impossible and also not many were going to be made in 2015. On the other front, I got luck when a guy backed out of a Hellcat order because they were only making manual transmission in the latter half of 2015. Dealer offered to order a manual for me, my specs, MSRP. No markup, nothing. So instead of waiting another year + for the GT, I got the Hellcat. Here are some photos.

View attachment 61703
View attachment 61704
View attachment 61705

She's nowhere near the track capable car the GT350 is, but she does go like hell! She's more of a nascar for the public roads. Sure I would have preferred the GT350's driving experience, but I think for my lifestyle, the Hellcat probably provides more daily fun (I do more highway blasts than backroad blasts).

That being said, has anyone run a GT350 yet against a Hellcat? I think it would be pretty close for sure. God knows I can't get the Hellcat to hook up no matter what I do. I could beat my Hellcat with a GT 5.0 stang 0-60 all day. That car you can just dump and go. I'd sit there and spin.

Anyway, I hope you guys get your cars soon. It's an amazing machine and I can't wait to see one on the road. (And then maybe blow a door off...I think:))

OP i think in a straight line a hellcat will absolutely destroy a gt350.
Now, take them to a road course track and it will be reversed!

On that note where in NY are you?

You should run my 5.0 once it becomes warm!
We'll see if you can beat that lol

conceptmachine

Established Member
Hellcats will be dead cats if they cross my path. Most mustangs aren't stock. Most hellcats are. Mustangs are just too fun to mod and react well to them. Sure, spin is a problem with any high hp vehicle! Throttle modulation, tranny and suspension help but the driver seat experience makes a huge difference.
I've only seen a few hellcats cross my path when in my GT 500 and lucky for them they were going the other direction:)
I don't expect that a gt350 manual would give an auto 707 hp a good race. The 350 is serously under powered for redlight racing IMO, but it would clean the Hellcats clock in any other catagory, including street presence. I plan on getting a 350 just to tool around town in...it looks fantastic!

93oh

Established Member
I don't know about underpowered for red light race it's a 12oh car. And I've seen Hellcats run 12s with spin it's not a vht track when you're at a light(not that I'd advocate running on street) but GT 350 has plenty of power. Scat Pack felt down two cyls compared to the GT 350. Hellcat is fast but shit it's a low 11 second car at best. GT 500s prowling around will punch 10s with ease and will run 11s out the box. Love retro theme and I'll own one and mine will have ARH headers tune and lower pulley with pinned crank. (Just because).

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
If you look at the test results in the mags, the GT350 is a better straight line match for a 16 SS or a 12-13 Boss302 than a Hellcat..... The car was built for the track, not the strip. Just sayin.....

93oh

Established Member
I don't read magazine articles to hear what someone else has to say I've driven all of the cars so far you mentioned. The Boss with a 5.0 would be cannon fodder for the Shelby and I drove 8 speed Camaro and it is quick but not as fast as the GT 350 a supercharged 6.2 in a 4000 pound car has one trick, a good trick, but really one. Straight line speed. The GT 350 has 3 that make it a better all around car brakes, that will have blood shooting out of your nose, handling that will rock 1 g, and a motor that revs forever and pulls from idle. The Camaro is no comparison and an old Boss, no offense was a great car but time way moved on. And transplanting the Corvette motor was a great move but it's not as flexible as the voodoo nor does it have upper rpm charge. If I let you drive mine back to back with all cars mentioned you'd see what I mean.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I clocked around 70K miles on my '03 Cobra and my 2012 Shelby GT500, combined.

I now have a 2016 Challenger Hellcat A8.

I can tell you from experience, in a straight line, if you are going to beat the Hellcat A8 running Drag radials (305 MT ET Street's), you better bring your A game.

The A8 shifts fast and smooth and keeps you right in the power band. Point and shoot.

And just for the record, I think all modern muscle cars are awesome and we are living in a Great time.

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
I live in Manhattan. Car is parked in BK. To be honest guys, I'm no longer interested in red light clutch drop races. Why? Shit always breaks on these cars if you do that a lot. Rear axle broke on my GT500. Whole rear end broke on my S2000 when I had it. I have to imagine the worst thing you could do to a GT350 would be a high rpm dump. I think some of you guys are smoking more than tires :) if you think the Hellcat wouldn't absolutely WALK on a GT350 if you lined up the side view mirrors during any sort of roll and gunned it. At the track, sure the GT350 would crush the big cat. Both are incredible cars.

If anyone neat NYC ever wants to run em, just let me know.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I didn't realize 2008 GT500's came in Kona blue...

and there would be no point in running a hellcat with a 350 unless it has FI like the lethal car or the hellcat has a stick and can't drive for shit

ObieFox

Established Member
A8 Hellcats will run mid upper 10's stock with a tire....It will take a fairly modified GT500 and a fantastic driver to do the same. My 13 GT 500 was fast, but it is no match at all for my A8 HC.

jbs$

Established Member
A8 Hellcats will run mid upper 10's stock with a tire....It will take a fairly modified GT500 and a fantastic driver to do the same. My 13 GT 500 was fast, but it is no match at all for my A8 HC.

Agree, I too have owned both cars, moved from a 13 GT500, which I loved, to a Hellcat. The A8 Cat is faster. They are, as others have stated, different cars with different personalities.

Para81

Established Member
Nice Hellcat congrats. I would bet the Hellcat would win against most production cars in a drag/street race including the new GT350.

I will say that the GT350 straight line speed has surprised me - it feels like an 11 second car for sure when driving. I did a couple random races and won both. 1st was was with a 2011 Corvette Grandsport and the 2nd was with a 2009 CTS V Coupe (556 hp I believe).

Last edited:

hotford

Established Member
hell ya like last September..Charger rolled up on me in my Marauder....... lets just say he didn't like the fact I called it a kitty ....he says no hell cat ...I say no kitty.....no sense of humor....hes all messed up as the merc had him covered by two cars all the way up to 120...then we both shut it down.....

for those who are gonna ask....the Merc laid down 683 RWHP on 93 pump.....

93oh

Established Member
Fairly modified GT 500 to go tens? I don't know maybe headers, tune and lower pulley with clutch.. The Hellcat 6 speed needs about the same. And the A 8 absent a tire has gotten embarrassed by Scat Pack with A 8 on DRs. Faster car on shit tires..equals a loss. GT 350 punches hard and is not a quarter mile car but if I held each gear coming out of a toll booth with a Hellkitty you might be in shock. Has no power adder and with good air on street tires will beat a spinning A 8. I'll test the theory at E town with my car vs my Hellcat which is on route. I know the A 8 is fast I drove SRT 6.4 and Scat and thought was quick. But GT 350 makes the driving experience of those cars slightly forgettable. They weren't close to the GT350 in either power or driver involvement.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very nice looking Hellcat Challenger. I really like the white paint. Gotta love em. Really good looking cars.

But, yeah, on a road course the GT-350 is flat out boss. I would imagine driving the GT-350 is quite an experience.

conceptmachine

Established Member
The 350 will thrill, the lug of that heavy hellcat has literally nothing going for it other than hp. Even the 13 gt500 had more going for it than the current Hellcat. Sure not as much HP but just as quick and much more nimble. The ONLY thing the hellcat has an upper hand in is the auto tranny. It will shift much quicker than humanly possible. Props to dodge for stuffing the tranny in there. As with the 350, Ford nailed it and ANYONE who loves a total driving experience would rather have the 350 than a hellcat, I promise you that. Make a poll on it and see. Plus the 350 looks amazing and the Dodge is way over done... sorta like the turkey at the Griswolds family Christmas

Users who are viewing this thread