Anyone run a breather in place of the oil cap?

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
If so, any oil coming out? How about the passenger side? Anyone put a breather in there as well?

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
If you have the PCV system in tact, adding a breather will let in unmetered air. Not good.

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
Well, I have not added a breather, but yes I will be having an EGR delete. Does that matter?

mu22stang

Established Member
If the breather is compensated for in the tune, it's not a problem.

A tune can't provide accurate adjustments to the air/fuel ratio, amongst other things, without an accurate measurement from the MAF, amongst other things. Unmetered air is just that, an unmeasured amount of air coming into the system. If, in this case, you leave the OEM PCV system in tact and add this oil cap breather, air will travel through the breather and eventually end on the intake tube side of the PCV system downstream from the MAF. This will cause a lean condition.

Running a breather on both sides, with an appropriate tune, is the only way to do a proper breather setup.

Last edited:

boatcop1

Established Member
I run the Steeda Oil seperator on the drivers side (PCV intact) and a breather in the Pass side! Never had problems. I had my car tuned like this and talked to my tuner about it, Not an issue at all. No oil comes out of it because there is no vacume pulling it out. This is hotly debated so I am not going to get into a pising match with anyone over it. All I can say is I dont have any issues and i run a consistant 11.8-11.9 AFR!

D3 Racing

Freak Show
Established Member
Run a breather now on each side, was tuned with an oil cap and the factory line back into the inlet tube with a JLT pre-filter, and an oil sperator, then added the breathers. No issues, just drove it 1800 miles.

100_0979.jpg

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
Where did you get the matching set of breathers? Any oil expulsion?

mu22stang

Established Member
Run a breather now on each side, was tuned with an oil cap and the factory line back into the inlet tube with a JLT pre-filter, and an oil sperator, then added the breathers. No issues, just drove it 1800 miles.

100_0979.jpg

I don't understand what you are trying to do with your setup.

Whatever your reasoning, if the tube coming from the driver side PCV is still hooked up to the backside of the blower and lower manifold you are letting in unmetered air.

boatcop1

Established Member
I don't understand what you are trying to do with your setup.

Whatever your reasoning, if the tube coming from the driver side PCV is still hooked up to the backside of the blower and lower manifold you are letting in unmetered air.

I cannot speak for his set up but I guess I let un metered air into the engine via the pass valve cover and my AF ratio is solid.

Last edited:

mu22stang

Established Member
Honestly, why not just drill some holes in the intake tube. After the MAF of course. :lol1:

In all seriousness, it is completely ridiculous that you are allowing this to happen. It is incredibly easy to meter ALL the air coming in. Wake up guys.

Last edited:

mu22stang

Established Member
Can somebody explain the benefits of a oil breather?

With a breather, crankcase vapors are not recirculated through the blower, intercooler, lower manifold, cylinder head, or combustion chamber like they are in the PCV system. Thus, the vapors don't "coat" the surfaces of your top end. They go straight to mother nature.

mrose75

Established Member
With a breather, crankcase vapors are not recirculated through the blower, intercooler, lower manifold, cylinder head, or combustion chamber like they are in the PCV system. Thus, the vapors don't "coat" the surfaces of your top end. They go straight to mother nature.

Well, if it's not environmentally safe, it's not going in my gas guzzling Cobra!!! :poke: Thanks for the explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
Also, I have read many threads on the S197 forums about FI cars gaing like 30 whp when a breather system is employed. Actual back to back dyno comparisons.

Still trying to find out where D3 got that matching set of breathers!

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
In all seriousness, it is completely ridiculous that you are allowing this to happen. It is incredibly easy to meter ALL the air coming in. Wake up guys.
How much un-metered air are we really talking about? If your tune is that close to the raged edge that the minute amount of air that can be drawn in through the breathers puts your engine at risk, you need a new tuner.

4.6snakedoc

Established Member

100_0979.jpg

Hey D3,
I would like to ask the advantage of using the breathers,and also where you got them. You engine bay looks great!! Where in NC are you?

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
On the oil leaking subject. YES YES YES!!!!!! It leaks oil bad. I had a screw in breather for the oil fill cap also and it leaks. It runs down onto and into the alternator all over the oil filter, front crossmember and steering rack. after i put it on, about a week later i changed the oil and started to freak out thought my timing cover was leaking. I know that the alternators go bad all the time but im sure this didnt help mine out. when the alternator finally went south it was soaked in oil. now the only time that i put the breather in is for car shows.

Users who are viewing this thread