Anyone put in a 12V socket in the console thats on only when the key is on?

mikestoyz

Established Member
I need to do this to ease pairing of a bluetooth adapter I got. I dont have the ambient lighting package if that makes a difference. Not looking to replace the "always on" 12v socket in the console, but add another one.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Edit, just reread title.

what kind of issue are you having with blue tooth? My phone recognizes as soon as im in my car and using pandora or anything is just a click through the menu button.

Last edited:

mikestoyz

Established Member
Edit, just reread title.

what kind of issue are you having with blue tooth? My phone recognizes as soon as im in my car and using pandora or anything is just a click through the menu button.

I have the base gt, I added a belkin adapter to allow hands free talking/music playing and want the belkin unit to totally power down when I shut off the car

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
You could easily wire the one in the console to come one with key with the addition of a simple relay. This would be the easiest option.

Parts required

Directed Electronics 8618 Mini Relay (should be available at any car audio shop)

either butt connectors or solder for making your connections.

Remove the shift knob.

Pop the center console top up by opening the storage compartment, then grabbing the top and pulling up. Unplug the connector at the front for TCS, trunk and hazards (one connector). With no ambient lighting that should be the only one to unplug.

Lift top out of way and set aside.

Find your 12v power point plug. It should be gray, and have 2 wires coming out of it. One will be gray/red and the other will be black/yellow. Cut the gray/red about 4 inches back from the plug.

Connect the yellow wire from your 8616 relay to the vehicle side of the gray/red wire. Connect the brown wire from your 8616 to the connector side of the gray/red wire.

Connect the black wire from your 8616 to the black/yellow wire.

Near where the shifter is should be a 6 pin plug not connected to anything (not the connector you unplugged from the hazard switch). In pin 5, there will be a white/blue wire. Connect the red wire from your relay to this wire.

Reassemble everything.

When you turn your key on, the relay will energize and power on the 12v socket in the console. When you turn the key off, the 12v socket will shut down.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention, cut short and insulate the orange wire on the 8616 relay.

Last edited:

mikestoyz

Established Member
You could easily wire the one in the console to come one with key with the addition of a simple relay. This would be the easiest option.

Parts required

Directed Electronics 8618 Mini Relay (should be available at any car audio shop)

Remove the shift knob.

Pop the center console top up by opening the storage compartment, then grabbing the top and pulling up. Unplug the connector at the front for TCS, trunk and hazards (one connector). With no ambient lighting that should be the only one to unplug.

Find your 12v power point plug. It should be gray, and have 2 wires coming out of it. One will be gray/red and the other will be black/yellow. Cut the gray/red about 4 inches back from the plug.

Connect the yellow wire from your 8616 relay to the vehicle side of the gray/red wire. Connect the brown wire from your 8616 to the connector side of the gray/red wire.

Near where the shifter is should be a 6 pin plug not connected to anything (not the connector you unplugged from the hazard switch). In pin 5, there will be a white/blue wire. Connect the red wire from your relay to this wire.

Reassemble everything.

When you turn your key on, the relay will energize and power on the 12v socket in the console. When you turn the key off, the 12v socket will shut down.

EDIT:

Amazing! Just the info I needed!!!!!

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member

Parts required

Remove the shift knob.

Reassemble everything.

EDIT:

Good god macgyver does it hurt then all that info just spews out so perfectly?

mikestoyz

Established Member
Good god macgyver does it hurt then all that info just spews out so perfectly?

LOL. Id love to make the between the dash socket ignition only.....so Ill throw that out there for ideas!
My GPS is hooked to it, thinking Ill run a separate wire to the GPS through the dash though instead of reworking that socket

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
LOL. Id love to make the between the dash socket ignition only.....so Ill throw that out there for ideas!
My GPS is hooked to it, thinking Ill run a separate wire to the GPS through the dash though instead of reworking that socket

Same concept. You can use the same relay. I dont know the wire colors off the top of my head and Im being lazy, but if you look at the wires going to the dash mounted 12v socket, one will be a black/something, and the other is a color/color. The color/color is your +12. Wire the relay the same way here, and there you go.

65sohc

Established Member
Amazing! Just the info I needed!!!!!

I take it this white/blue wire is a switched 12 volt source. Is there any reason I can't connect my QTP electric exhaust cutouts directly to this rather than going through a relay?

sleek98

Established Member
I take it this white/blue wire is a switched 12 volt source. Is there any reason I can't connect my QTP electric exhaust cutouts directly to this rather than going through a relay?

It's safer to go through a relay but yes you can, the risk is the wire shorting out and starting a fire. Been there done that, on a previous car.

Users who are viewing this thread