Anyone own a GT-R?

c6vette

Established Member
I've been fighting the urge to buy a GT-R for a few years. It just didn't make sense to have both the GT500 and a GT-R and I wasn't ready to part with the GT500. I was checking out the GT-R forum and noticed several threads on 2015 pricing. $20k off on 2015s seems to be the norm now. At that price a used 2012+ doesn't make much sense. So, I've been shopping 2015s the past couple of weeks. I'd keep the GT500 for the time being.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Sold my 09 GT500 for a 09 GTR. Then when all the rebates started hitting it was a no brainer to upgrade to a 14-15. I ended up with a 15 tho few a few dollars more got the updated lights, suspension and noise canceling stuff.

It's a totally different comoared to a RWD car. It just hooks as goes. Launched my new 15 two times already and puts a huge grin on my face every time.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I considered it, but have decided to stick with American muscle.
Just not ready to learn a whole new language.

c6vette

Established Member
I'm wondering how hard I should pursue it. The 2016's are due in a few weeks and there's a 4 month supply of 2015s in the US, so prices certainly won't be going up. I'm assuming the 2017 will go way upmarket and compete with the NSX, but who knows. I think now's the time to buy... or at least I'm pretty sure...

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I find it funny the OP drives a GT500, but is looking for a GT-R and his user name is c6vette! :-D Maybe a name change to "Undecided" is in order?

U.M.

c6vette

Established Member
It's a totally different comoared to a RWD car. It just hooks as goes. Launched my new 15 two times already and puts a huge grin on my face every time.

Yeah, I finally put some tires on the GT500 and have a little traction around 30-40 mph now...

ThomasL

Established Member
I think GTRs are awesome. Would love to drive one just to feel the difference.

c6vette

Established Member
I find it funny the OP drives a GT500, but is looking for a GT-R and his user name is c6vette! :-D Maybe a name change to "Undecided" is in order?

U.M.

Now that you mention it, the C7 Z's really nice too :idea: I need something that at least resembles a back seat for the boy, but I loved my Vette! Better balance than a 700hp Mustang. I bought the Vette new, had it for a year and a half and I've had the GT500 for almost 7 years. That's almost the record for me. I still have my W210 E55 which is the record holder.

Last edited:

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I'm wondering how hard I should pursue it. The 2016's are due in a few weeks and there's a 4 month supply of 2015s in the US, so prices certainly won't be going up. I'm assuming the 2017 will go way upmarket and compete with the NSX, but who knows. I think now's the time to buy... or at least I'm pretty sure...

If you play the waiting game for then next best thing you will be waiting for ever and never upgrade. Need to take the plunge and enjoy it now.

The 16 isn't worth it in my eyes. Premium wheels are ugly that year. Plus pricing hasn't even been released yet.
I would scoop up a new 15 or find a lightly used one that already has modifications done. Best bang for you buck as well as most people won't return to stock before trading in or selling as its to costly. Plus if already modified shouldn't get the mod bug like I have.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Damn it...swore I would always have American Muscle with my Terminator...but that deep discount you mentioned has me wanting to go drive one.

Dammit Jim.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've never driven a GT-R but I would bet if I did I'd be hooked. The '15 model year sounds like the best choice right now, what with the deep discounts. Shouldn't be much more added to the '16 to justify waiting for it IMO.

c6vette

Established Member
If you play the waiting game for then next best thing you will be waiting for ever and never upgrade. Need to take the plunge and enjoy it now.

The 16 isn't worth it in my eyes. Premium wheels are ugly that year. Plus pricing hasn't even been released yet.
I would scoop up a new 15 or find a lightly used one that already has modifications done. Best bang for you buck as well as most people won't return to stock before trading in or selling as its to costly. Plus if already modified shouldn't get the mod bug like I have.

I agree with everything you're saying and the '17 isn't really an option. Frankly, without the discount a '15 is more money than I'm willing to part with for a car. This is a really stupid purchase for me... as I work from home... and have 6 cars... but a GT-R is as close to a supercar as I'm going to get and there may be a window of opportunity that's likely to close with the last of the R35s.

xenodragon

Established Member
Wait, seriously $20k off? I was writing these off because I just figured over 100k and didnt want to spend that much, but if I could pick one up for 80k I would.

Where are you seeing a 20k discount, or do you just need to haggle them down?

c6vette

Established Member
Wait, seriously $20k off? I was writing these off because I just figured over 100k and didnt want to spend that much, but if I could pick one up for 80k I would.

Where are you seeing a 20k discount, or do you just need to haggle them down?

On Autotrader you'll see as much as $17k. You'll probably have to ask for the rest of it. There's $10k dealer cash.

Matt in Houston

I like SVT & I cannot lie
Established Member
GTR's are excellent bang for the buck but I went to a paddle shifted transmission in my last car and have spent some time in a PDK Porsche. Never again...Its great for about a year and then I realized its much more fun to shift my own gears. The driving experience became mundane and almost boring, regardless if the car was fast. Just something to think about if you really enjoy driving a manual.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
OP what about a Hellcat? Just kidding, had to say it because I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up yet.

c6vette

Established Member
You can get a premium for as low as $80k.

What dealer? The best deal I've seen posted was $81.7, but $20k off seems to be the stretch goal which would be about $2k more. I'm currently looking for something with the interior upgrade, which is another $4k list.

kaz109

Established Member
GTR's are excellent bang for the buck but I went to a paddle shifted transmission in my last car and have spent some time in a PDK Porsche. Never again...Its great for about a year and then I realized its much more fun to shift my own gears. The driving experience became mundane and almost boring, regardless if the car was fast. Just something to think about if you really enjoy driving a manual.

What sold you are on getting the XKR-S?? I almost traded my C63 for one and in a way I regret not doing it. Did the super low redline bother you are was it just me? All the play in the steering wheel bother you?

xenodragon

Established Member

I 100% agree with that. I went to a CTS-V after my cobra, and while it was definitely fast, I COMPLETELY missed having the manual (or at least another car that has a manual to go with it). If I got a GTR i would need a stick shift car sitting next to it.

I have a slow as crap BMW z4 at the moment, and its still a blast to drive (because of the stick shift) probably because I can, drift it, floor it and run it up to redline without worrying about going over the speed limit :-D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread