Anyone own a 94-97 power stroke?

silverstang84

Established Member
Hey guys. I'm looking at getting an older pickup to replace my worn out dodge ram. I'd really like to find a clean 95-97 f250/350 4x4 with a 7.3 . I'm familiar with the 99 and up powerstrokes but I haven't heard much about the mid 90s turbo diesels. Please tell me how you liked the truck and the pros and cons. I will be using the truck to tow my boat and for work around the house. This will not be a daily driver. Thanks

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Keep in mind that a clean OBS powerstroke will fetch some $$$. Find one with a ZF5 5spd if you can.

Either way, go for it!

This. A clean later year OBS brings serious money, especially if it's a manual. They are simple, solid, reliable truck. You need to make sure it has the updated CPS but of than that they don't really have any major problems. They are also non-intercooled, so you'll have to add one if you want to crank up the power much.

silverstang84

Established Member
This. A clean later year OBS brings serious money, especially if it's a manual. They are simple, solid, reliable truck. You need to make sure it has the updated CPS but of than that they don't really have any major problems. They are also non-intercooled, so you'll have to add one if you want to crank up the power much.

you guys lost me with the OBS/CPS stuff. i dont know what that means. I do however, see what you guys are talking about. The late 90's powerstrokes seem to hold their value. any special reason for that?

YJSONLY

Established Member
Because everyone loves the 7.3 obs. (Old body style). The 94.5-98 has less electronics and junk to go bad. The CPS is a $30 part. It's the (Cam position Sensor or something like that. It take 30 mins to change not a big deal. I own a 96 2 wheel drive crew cab dually with 72,000 original miles that I bought from my grandad who was the original owner. The inside is clean as a new car. The bed well its had a fifth wheel bottom out on it one or ten times. But other than that its clean.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Here is my $1000 OBS 97 7.3 service truck. A member here on SVTP hooked me up with the truck not running for a $1000 and another two members got it running for less then $400. It has 270,000 miles and runs strong.
2013-05-13153012_zps431db272.jpg

coposrv

Established Member
If you want a diesel a clean OBS powerstroke is probably more expensive than a 99-03 7.3. I wanted a RCLB OBS bad but the ones worth buying sellers were asking 10-12k.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Now, if you REALLY want to get something awesome, find yourself a powerstroke C250 or C350 centurion bronco. My ideal tow rig would be a 96 7.3 C350 :rockon:

Its literally a bronco and a crew cab F series put together, on a 3/4 or 1 ton frame. (or a 1/2 ton if its a C150)

img_7811.jpg

3.jpg

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Now, if you REALLY want to get something awesome, find yourself a powerstroke C250 or C350 centurion bronco. My ideal tow rig would be a 96 7.3 C350 :rockon:

Its literally a bronco and a crew cab F series put together, on a 3/4 or 1 ton frame. (or a 1/2 ton if its a C150)

img_7811.jpg

Those are just awesome!

adcausey

Established Member
Picked up a 96 4x4 CCSB on tha cheap.....it had right at 300k and needed a fuel leak fixed and some ball joints. All fixed and still rollin strong here.

tcstang17

Established Member
They hold their value so well because they are simple and run forever. You don't have to pull the entire cab off to work on them like you would if you bought a Super Duty. Mods that are good for the truck are Gauges, Tony Wildman 6 position chip, Intercooler, E-fuel (taking the fuel pump from a Super Duty), 3.5" downpipe to 4 inch exhaust. Check out powerstroke nation, powerstroke army, and powerstroke.org for an infinite amount of info. I would love to have a 97 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed but they are so high on price for a decent one that I just couldn't do it. Also, the F250's came with a Twin Traction Beam front axle. It's not that big of a deal but you'll chew through tires like crazy if you don't keep the suspension maintained in the front. The F350s have the dana straight axle. The manual transmission trucks are prone to the flywheel losing its weights (its called a dual mass flywheel) this will be something that will need replacing if it hasn't been already.

EDIT: I should also add that converting to E-fuel eliminates fuel bowl problems. This isn't really a big deal but it seems that everyone on the forums complains about it. I've done a lot of reading on this stuff because I have looked into buying a Powerstroke multiple times but have never pulled the trigger. You can PM me if you want some more info.

Last edited:

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member

img_7811.jpg

3.jpg

I've never seen or heard of a Diesel Centurion or a 250/350 Centurion. That would be a sweet ride tho.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I've never seen or heard of a Diesel Centurion or a 250/350 Centurion. That would be a sweet ride tho.

I think its rare amongst the rare.

Thanks for all the great info guys. I like the diesel broncos but I do need a pickup

Thats why you take the roof off, then you have a crew cab short bed pickup :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread