Anyone Live in AZ?

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
I am flying to Arizona on the 13th of feb to visit a few friends. I will be interviewing for a job while I am in town and if I land it I might just stay.

I will be in the Scottsdale area and was wondering what the area is like and how anyone likes living there. Nightlife, recreation, Women... you get the point.

I was going to make the move a while ago but decided to stay in ohio for various reasons. The last time i was in AZ I arrived in Phoenix at midnight and it was 100* outside... I was like you have got to be kidding me, but it really didnt seem so bad after a while.

thanks for any info. :beer:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I live in North Phoenix. Really all the night life is in Scottsdale or Tempe. Depending on your age of course. More college age people in Tempe because of the Arizona State University. Scottsdale(snobsdale as its know) has some rather wealthy people and a lot of people who pretend to be wealthy. However, if you get past that it can be fun. There is a big car show every Saturday evening in Scottsdale off the 101 and Indian Bend.

It does get pretty hot here in the summer. 115+is the normal temperature in late June through early August, sometimes we get a few days that approach 120+. Good news is it doesn't take that long to get acclimated to the heat, one or two summers and you will adapt.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
You must go to the dueling piano bar on Mill Ave (tempe). When ever I go up to Phoenix I make a trip there. I think it is called the Big Bang.

Vigilante

Established Member
A lot of ricers in Tucson. Phoenix is pretty humid. And the temps arent that bad. Once it hits a certain point it all feels the same anyway. Plus no winter storage needed(if your coming from somewhere that you had to)

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
damn i drove thru AZ 2xs on a round trip from S.A. to san diego...OMG i thought i was gonna melt in my car w the AC on.

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
You must go to the dueling piano bar on Mill Ave (tempe). When ever I go up to Phoenix I make a trip there. I think it is called the Big Bang.

Yeah its the Big Bang, its a cool bar. Check out the Library too, pretty fun as well.

A lot of ricers in Tucson. Phoenix is pretty humid. And the temps arent that bad. Once it hits a certain point it all feels the same anyway. Plus no winter storage needed(if your coming from somewhere that you had to)

Humid? Its the desert dude lol.

Better learn spanish if you're headed that way, its pretty much New New Mexico.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was there a couple of weeks ago with a group to attend the Barrett Jackson auction. On the last night we found this awesome and unique restaurant in Old Town (Scottsdale) called the Italian Grotto. Owned by two guys originally from Brooklyn, NY. They've been in AZ for something like 30 years but they are still 100% old school New Yorkers. One of the owners bounced a basketball while he was talking to us. The minestrone soup was the best I have ever had. The owners are so cool. Rough around the edges in a good way. I'd definitely go back. If you want to look it up, the address is 3915 N Scottsdale Rd.

By the way, I absolutely loved Scottsdale! Great place. Just bring your money. LOL!

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
hows the area around Indian Bend rd? that's where ill be staying.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Yeah its the Big Bang, its a cool bar. Check out the Library too, pretty fun as well.

Humid? Its the desert dude lol.

Better learn spanish if you're headed that way, its pretty much New New Mexico.

My girlfriends best friend works at the Library, mater of fact we will be there tomorrow night and we will hit up a couple places along Mill ave.

As for the spanish, if you head towards west Phoenix or even worse south Phoenix(OP do not go to west or south Phoenix if you dont have to!!!) then that is absolutely true. Over in those areas the majority of the signs around are in spanish and the crime rate is really high. Often times I have people approach me speaking spanish asking for God know what automatically assuming that I can speak spanish as well. Joke is on them though because I may have a darker complexion but thats because I'm Israeli.

Jefe

Established Member
Compared to Ohio, youll love AZ. Snows maybe once every 5 years haha. Phoenix is a concrete dust bowl though. It stays warm till midnight, unlike Tucson 100 miles south. It cools off at sunset. But right now is the best time to be here. Its been 65-70 degrees and sunny most of the month and will be till March. Lots to do in Phoenix plus youre 6 hours from the Pacific Ocean and 5 hours from Vegas, 1-2 hours from some amazing skiing/snowboarding.

Hope you like Mexican food :rockon:

Darcsun

Established Member
It's hot, and a bit boring. Scottsdale is a pretty plasticy enviroment. Tempe is a good college town. The metro area has almost no culture, jobs are mostly about serving snow birds and tourists. The education is pretty much the worst in the nation, and the locals are the end result. Most people moving to the state move out in about five years or so after they tire from the place. The weather right now makes it worth it, though it's worth having a winter home here.

SlowNorth

Established Member
I'm from Gilbert which has to be the most boring city in the world for a teenager. Or any younger person for that matter. I usually go up to the pavilions (indian bend & 101) every saturday night with friends. If you're over 21, i've heard Tempe is pretty cool. Honestly, theres not much to do in the phoenix area. Plus it gets hot as hell 115+ like everyone said. You kinda get used to it but not really.

The area around Indian bend is a pretty nice area though.

Oh and another thing. If you like boating/Waterskiing/wakeboarding/fishing/off roading. Phoenix is the place for you. We have some pretty good lakes. Pretty much every day during summer, me and my friends all piled into my friend andrews jeep and went up to saguaro lake. There are a ton of trails and hills for offroading. And it gets better when you get to the lake, There are cliffs everywhere. Perfect cliff jumping and just having a good time.

Jefe

Established Member
Honestly, theres not much to do in the phoenix area..
If you cant find anything to do in 5th biggest city in America, you arent doing it right

Oh and another thing. If you like boating/Waterskiing/wakeboarding/fishing/off roading. Phoenix is the place for you. We have some pretty good lakes. Pretty much every day during summer, me and my friends all piled into my friend andrews jeep and went up to saguaro lake. There are a ton of trails and hills for offroading. And it gets better when you get to the lake, There are cliffs everywhere. Perfect cliff jumping and just having a good time.

You just proved yourself wrong :lol:

SlowNorth

Established Member
Thanks jefe.. Haha. Its balla from azss btw.. And yeah after a while it kinda gets old. In gilbert, when you're underage. There's not much to do besides: go muddin', go to the lake/river, hang out at quiktrip trying to find something to do..

werstlna

Established Member
I moved from Ohio to Tucson in 2001 and don't regret it. I only wish the lakes were more substantial and closer to Tucson. The Phoenix area has better access to lakes, but from here I gotta drive 100+ miles to find something decent.

I'm definitely a wimp now about the weather, used to the nice warmth and sunshine. The amount of sunshine is great - it really puts you in a better mood as opposed to the constant gray days of the midwest.

The job market is ridiculous as good paying jobs are very scarce. You've got to be an entrepreneur or just accept lower pay in order to live here.

Users who are viewing this thread