Anyone knowledgeable on this?

MikeDoom

Dedicated Gamer
Established Member
I just got a 98 ranger for a winter "beater" with 150k miles on it. As parts break I intend to upgrade to performance parts until I have a complete badass ranger. The suspension already feels kinda beat, so I'm figuring that will be my first point of interest. Now, here's my problem: I am semi competent when it comes to the cobra, but I have ABSOLUTELY no clue what to do with the ranger. Are there any people on here that have done a ranger buildup or that know much? I need to know what would be a good suspension setup for a street/strip ranger. I don't really care about what it costs, because it's probably not too much more than just putting in a new stock suspension.
And don't tell me to just mod the cobra because it's cheaper:) My wife won't let me and I don't want to lose warranty or possible resale in case I like the 06-07's.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance fellerz.

MikeDoom

Dedicated Gamer
Established Member
Can one of the mods please keep this bumped for a little while in case someone can help me?
Or maybe I am in the wrong forum?

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
First thing is new shocks. I doubt your leaves are bad. Tires on the Ranger, at least OEM or similar replacements, are just about the worst money can buy.

MikeDoom

Dedicated Gamer
Established Member
Originally posted by AzureBlue03Mach1
Try these guys out this may help You,
http://www.kaufmannproducts.com/kpi.html#
:beer:

Yeah, I was already planning on going with a 5.0 swap (probably). Also gonna throw on either a turbo or procharger. Probably a turbo. I don't want to go the high horsepower naturally aspirated route becuase I don't want the driveability to take a crap. All thats probably at least a year or two away though. Will be suspension for now. After that may be tranny and wheels. Shocks in the next few weeks or so.

MikeDoom

Dedicated Gamer
Established Member
Originally posted by EvergreenSVT
You'll need a new rear axle if you run lots of power.
In the long run, I'm figuring on 500 or so. Maybe a bit more. What size would you recommend?

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
Well, think it doesn't get much better than the 9 inch, or Dana 60, depending on your preference.

They come with a Dana 35, IIRC. Not particularly impressive.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Sounds like its cheaper to take the $4000 rebate on an 04 FX4 LII ranger at invoice and finance the rest, that way it stays at 3xx bucks a month with no surprises for years. Just the rear axle on the beater covers your payments untill February already, an engine gets you through till Jan 06........

Last edited:

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
Originally posted by EvergreenSVT
True, but then its not fast.
Isnt that what the Cobra's for?
You could solve the whole parts breakage issue once & for all with a brand new ranger..Hell,they're practically giving them away..
If you want a 'playtoy'It seems like there are easire ways..Like a gen 1 Lightning..Lots 'o' room for a turbo..Already has the motor..& the cool factor's already built in.
Just a thought

LogiWorld123

Established Member
You got a ranger "beater" now and you wanna make it have gobs of horsepower?

im confused.

Cobra99Dave

Established Member
True, but then its not fast.
Not neccisarily. I own an 04 FX4 ranger with the 4.0L and it definately holds its own. I ran a 15.9 with it which isnt bad for a fully loaded 4x4 extended cab. Regular cab 2wd one are running in the high 14s. Not bad for a winter beater.

MikeDoom

Dedicated Gamer
Established Member
Originally posted by Scoriox
You got a ranger "beater" now and you wanna make it have gobs of horsepower?

im confused.
I explained this in my first post. Cobra stays stock for now or maybe forever. Truck was a gift from my 'ol man so I wouldn't need to drive the cobra in the snow. Truck has 150k miles on it. Parts will be breaking soon, if not already. Instead of replacing broken parts with normal stock parts I will be replacing broken parts with performance parts pretty much as they go. So down the line I will have a badass street/strip ranger for my efforts and money. I can't afford to finance another vehicle. Already have the 03 cobra and 04 F150. Plus insurance is under 300 a year for the ranger. Soooooooooo, instead of forking over thousands and thousands for a "new" ranger with reliabilty and factory performance, I'm choosing to sink money (over time) into my "free" ranger and have something magazine worthy when I'm done. Catch my drift? That's why I need solid info from people that know what they're talking about.
I know I could throw a pulley on my cobra. That's not what I'm trying to do here.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
an 8.8 rear from an earlier Explorer/Moutaineer will give you a nice strong rear with disc brakes....
If you can,.............just buy a wrecked 5.0 Explorer/Moutaineer for parts...
Jimmy:beer:

Last edited:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Originally posted by Jimmysidecarr
an 8.8 rear from an earlier Explorer/Moutaineer will give you a nice strong rear with disc brakes....
If you can,.............just buy a wrecked 5.0 Explorer/Moutaineer for parts...
Jimmy:beer:
Would be nice to be able to find a 5.0 explorer/mountaineer for parts, but they are hard to find, or at least in the rocky mountain region. Some of the ranger/bronco II's had 8.8's in them as well.

Users who are viewing this thread