Anyone know how to breakdown VIN numbers?

03sLeEpeRSnaKe

Established Member
Hey guys, I wanted to know if anyone knows how to breakdown the VIN numbers and figure out certain things like what number off the assembly line your car is as well as how to determine what color your car is and so on and so forth. For instance the last numbers on my VIN are 00095 does this mean my car was the 95th 2003 cobra off the line? Also my car is SILVER, but there were 2 types of SILVER in 2003. There was a SATIN SILVER that was discontinued halfway through the model year and then there was SILVER METALLIC. So I'm trying to figure out which color my car is and how to determine it through the VIN or any other way. Does anyone know how to do this and what the difference is between the 2 SILVER colors offered in 2003? Also please let me know if you know what number my car is by the last numbers of the VIN I wrote earlier. Thanks a lot in advance guys!

Johnny03

Johnny
Established Member
Here is my vin: 1FAFP49Y93F301895. I don't know how to decode my vin, but here is some info on my car. 2003 Satin Silver convertible. Vehicle #668 of a build of 5082. Codes off of my dealer order receipt: TL = Satin Silver Clearcoat, M2 = Dark Charcoal Leather /Graphite, 99Y = 4.6L 4V EFI SC V-8 Engine, 44B = 6 Speed Manual Transmission,
T27 = P275/40ZR17 BSW Performance Tires, A = Black Convertible Top, 153 = Front License Plate Bracket, FP49Y = Dearborn Assembly Plant

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Here you go. Terminator FAQs -- VIN Breakdown

VIN Breakdown
Example: 1FAFP48Y73F310692

1FA F P 48 Y 7 3 F 310692
1FA ........ Ford Motor Co.
F ........... Restraint System (F-air bags & active belts)
P ........... Passenger Car
48 ......... 2dr Coupe Cobra
49 ......... 2dr Convertible Cobra
Y ........... Engine Code (4.6L DOHC Supercharged V8)
7............ Check Digits (vary)
3 ........... Year (3 - 2003)
F ........... Plant (F - Dearborn)
310692 ... Consecutive Unit Number

The VIN plate is attached to the driver's side of the dash, visible through windshield.

Last edited:

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
I think if your looking for the Paint Code your're looking in the wrong place, I don't think it is encoded in the VIN it is on the Door Plate on the Drivers Side.

2003 Mustang Exterior Colors

Color Code:

Black UA
True Blue L2
Sonic Blue SN
Azure Blue (Mach 1) L5
Dark Shadow Gray CX
Silver Metallic YN
Redfire G2
Torch Red D3
Zinc Yellow B7
Tropic Green SU
Oxford White Z1
Mineral Gray (Discontinued replaced by Dark Shadow Gray) TK
Satin Silver (Discontinued replaced by Silver Metallic TL

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Jimmy, to get your build info you can call Ford. There is charge if you want a certificate. 1-866-377-8862

Users who are viewing this thread