Anyone into MMA?

ModularFan

Established Member
Just curious to know if anyone here is into MMA, or have done it? Do you like it, does it benefit you? do you get satisfaction of it? I'am just looking for somethings to do to benefit me thats all. Just wanted some opinions for people who have done it or are doing it.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
Haven't stepped into the MMA thing yet, but im looking into it going into 2013. I've been doing martial arts off and on for 14 years, and its my life. If you're looking to better your life in every aspect, i would highly recommend finding a good dojo. If you take this route I would recommend you stay away from sport-like martial arts, such as Tae Kwon Do, and find yourself an ancient art. If you cannot trace back their style or Grandmasters, then you're probably wasting your time. Jujitsu and Kempo are what im studying now, and after a year here i have far surpassed what i learned in 8 belts worth of Tae Kwon Do.

As far as satisfaction and what i gain from it, the list is endless. Im in shape, i can defend myself, my confidence has sky rocketed, i am much more humble than before, iv met great friends, and its an excellent way to take out your troubles and get away from the world.

If you want to get into MMA, you really got to start with a good martial arts. Even good MMA fighters don't stick to just one style, it just isn't enough to compete anymore. Also if you take a martial art then you can practice sparring and moves without just jumping into fights and getting your ass handed too you lol.

I dont know how many practices there are around the country, but i can NOT recommend my style enough. I study Ryute Kempo karate which is a mix of kung fu, jujitsu, and karate which is tracable back from an ancient Okinawa family. My grand master, Taika Seiyu Oyata, recently passed, but he was world renowned in American martial arts in the early 80s and 90s for bringing his family art to the states. We learn so much more than self defense. We learn life protection. How to protect yourself and your opponent. Its all about manipulation of joints and anatomy to subdue your attacker, so it doesnt matter how big you are by comparison. I would look into one of his students as a teacher if you can find one in your area.

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
Thanks for the reply man, I'am looking into a little bit of what UFC does, Not really into that Karate stuff, But I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

Thursday

Tu ne cede malis
Established Member
I'd be interested in getting in to BJJ and Muay Thai strictly for fun, but I don't know where to start.

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
I train MMA and have fought in the cage(155, now going to 145)

I study BJJ and Muay Thai, and have for a little bit over a year. I started because I wanted to challenge myself and needed something to keep me busy. It is a great way to stay in shape. It is very satisfying. I train after work and it is great to get some frustrations from the day out.

For the record, I do NOT own ANY Tapout. I think it is hilarious that amount of people who were Tapout. I casually ask them, "Do you train or fight?" They say, No, and I just smile and walk away.

TorchMach

Established Member
Let's just say you'll walk away humbled after a month or two. Anyone that has done anything similar to the practice will tell you that...douche bags with big ego's quit right away because they can't handle having to be tapped out an be beaten.

Everyone is their to learn and improve.

Hope this helped a bit.

Blown 89

Established Member
Best thing I ever did for myself was walk into an mma gym 8 or so years ago. If you can afford it don't hesitate to try. I'd stay away from the traditional martial arts and krav maga. No offense to anyone that does that type of stuff but one night in an mma gym and you will see just how useless they really are. Good luck.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
MMA is good stuff....depending on where you go to train they usually start you off in a certain pattern ( BJJ, then boxing or muay thai) They usually emphasize BJJ before standup unless you go in there with previous experience with a stand up game. Wrestling goes a long way because you already know how to gain positioning and understand mat movement. Ive done the training strictly for training and its great. You have to work at it and as some have said above, your will is going to be tested. One of my friends has been doing it for a couple years and hes pretty good at it, hes obsessed lol. I plan to get back in soon ( classes can get pricey) good luck OP and if you have the desire to learn or pursue it, then go for it. Dont be fooled by the guys who wear tapout shirts and have never even been in a fight their whole life :lol1:

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
5 years ago now I did a google search for an MMA gym, picked one and went. One of the best decisions I have made in a long time. No egos, no harda**'s, just a bunch of guys training hard and trying to get better every day. I've been to about 4 different gyms over the years and they have all been better or worse in some ways but they were all great. Most have a free week or two where you come in, train and see if it's what you're looking for. I would say just take that first step and go. You'll be glad you did.

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
and just as devil's advocate here but how is wearing Tapout different from NFL jersey or any other sports apparel? Why can't they just be a fan of MMA?

ModularFan

Established Member
Yea I don't own or want to own anything TapOut, lol But thanks for the replies, For some reason I've been getting crazy ideas popping into my head, I want try to sky diving as well, that's a whole other topic. But Yea I'd really like to try something like this that's why i asked!

dgood86

Established Member
Im a huge UFC/Strikeforce/Pride fan, its my favorite sport, and i wrestled when i was in middle/high school. I have always wanted to get more into it by going to an MMA gym, but it always came down to balancing it with work, school, and distance to drive to the gym, and considering how pricey some of them can be i dont think id get my moneys worth out of it. For now i just stick with hitting the weight room 6-7 days a week, and am just a huge fan of MMA, but maybe someday before i get too old ill be able to get more into it.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
everyone on svtp is a pro level mma fighter. It's one of the requirements before you are allowed to sign up.

+65,0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Stinger2011

Established Member
I love to watch it. It's my favorite sport to watch along side drag racing. I might would be interested in doing it under different circumstances, but I can't do it now. If I get punched in the throat, put in a chokehold, or get hit with enough force that it jolts my throat i'm done for. I've got some kind of plastic trachea pipe in my throat (old accident) and, if it gets knocked loose, the doctors say that'll pretty much be it for me. I had to stop knee boarding because of it.

Last edited:

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I used to practice Muay Thai and BJJ a few years back. Had alot of fun but ended up leaving because of money. I've been looking to go back sometime within the next few months depending on how other things work out.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
+65,0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

:lol: I practiced Tae Kwon Do for 9 years, and loved it! I practiced both traditional and Olympic Tae Kwon Do and have to say that traditional is the way to go. I'm looking into an MMA gym or perhaps Krav Maga since I got stationed on the east coast. Maybe even Kendo just for fun lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread