anyone in to fish tanks.

BLK_VNM

Established Member
just curious i got some stuff i just upgraded so i will be selling a bunch of the old stuff and hate shipping this stuff so i figured i would see if anyone is into the saltwater hobby.

justin

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
hey, jose f8lbiteva was talking about getting a starter saltwater setup. ill let him know.

what all do you have?

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I have 3 freshwater tanks... Saltwater is much more difficult to keep but the fish are so much better looking...

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
damn Andrew I was just looking at the saltwater nanocube's. I got a good deal on a 46 gallon bowfront, but I think im going african cichlids again.

TRBO VNM

I use to do salt water. there are only a few things you need to keep up with on it. it really isn't that bad. the problem I have is finding quality fish around here, so I haven't had one since I lived in florida. I still have all my stuff here for a 55 gal setup. I might do something with it.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
theres a really awesome pet store in annadale, VA called Super Pets. thats where i bought the couple fish i had. and they have ALOT of fish.

also have a very good selection of rats, and mice if any of you have snakes.

snakecharmer

Established Member
I used to do saltwater as a kid. I have forgotten everything I knew about it, but keep thinking I'd like to get one again as the technology has changed a lot and I'm sure keeping one would be much easier now. I think it would make a FANTASTIC kitty cat torture device, as my three would go insane trying to figure out how to get to the fish. :)

BLK_VNM

Established Member
saltwater is actually easier to keep then saltwater. a general problem is people start with small tanks to see if they can do it and the smaller the tank the harder it is to keep. thats what causes the biggest issues for people. water parameters change so fast in the small ones which cause the tank collapses.

anyway i have an extra pump brand new rated for 1000 gph at 3 foot head its an inline not in sump-- brand new

extra ice cap 440 ballast( used for vho lighting)-- brand new

geo calcium reactor -- about a year old.

bunch of other power heads pumps light bulbs(went with a different color temperature) metal halide and vho.

turbofloater skimmer with pumps

basically my friends dad just moved and gave me his complete tank and set up for free which is why i couldnt go on the cruise or gtg's the last few weekends. allot of his stuff is doubled of my already extra stuff so i need to get rid of some of it. if any of you guys want to try saltwater id more then be happy to help you set it up and calibrate everything some weekend. ive been doing this stuff for well over 10 years so i have a little experience.

as for quality fish around here the only place i would buy locally would be the marine scene in herndon but they are so over priced its retarded.

i order all my live stock fish, corals, shrimp everything off line from a place called saltwaterfish.com. they basically over night you the order its to your door before noon and you just acclimate and put it in your tank. it cuts out the middle man and you get a hell of a good deal. they also offer free shipping for orders over 75 bucks. as an added bonus every order you place you get to select a free item fish coral shrimp or what ever. so ive reached the top level with the at level 4 so i get a free 30 or 40 dollar shrimp fish or coral every order.

some of the deals ive gotten in the past when they have their monthly super sales are

19.99 purple tangs( they sell for around 150 at the marine scene in herndon)
1.99 yellow tangs normally around 35 - 40
1.99 royal grammas and black cap basslets normally 40 dollar fish

they also offer a 2 week gurantee on all their live stock no exceptions which you will never get from a local fish store.

as for pictures ill see what i can get but i suck at taking pictures. i have a 90 that ive had for about 4 years now and then my new baby which is 250 gallon arcylic tank.

justin

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Salt here! Nothing setup now but used to have a 75 Gal Tank. Miss My fish like no-ones business. Shipped them to the West Coast when I relocated, Fed Ex (FTMFW), to an individual I met on the internet that happened to have a Salt Tank prepped and ready to go. She kept them for a month as my salt setup got primed and ready. I Had a 6" Porcupine Puffer and a 6" Lion Fish. Both were bad ass fish and I was purchasing 75 small goldfish a week to keep em happy. Anyone that has had a Puffer for sometime would understand. Had about 50lb's of liverock with tons of anenomies. Cant wait to move again and get a tank setup. Most people are feared of Salt water setups but they are not as bad as most people think.

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
Yep I have a 55 gallon setup. All chilid tank. 9 exotics, 1 tire track ell, 1 upside down cat, and 1 5'' plecco, 1 baby horned plecco. They are dirty a$$ fish, but cool as shit.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I've got a 60 gallion salt. I absolutly love the tank and have spent a good 2k on getting it set up. I've got an anemone, kole tang, Dwarf Angel Coral Beauty, blue damsel, clown, and my pride, an emperor angel (yes, I know my tank is to small for him!). Between live rock, live sand, and lighting, I'm broke, but I love how I can come home from a stressful day at work and just sit and watch them...it's very relaxing.

BLK_VNM

Established Member
yea im the same way. between cars and fish im broke 100% of the time.

what kind of anenomes do you guys have? ive been trying to get my hands on either a rbta or an electric green atlantic carpet. you guys wouldnt happen to have child colonies of those.

i know a good deal about cichlids if you guys ever need help. i was actually very successful in mixing african with south american in the same tank and not have any loses to fighting or stress. my fav were frontosa's and the entire family of Aulonocara.

time to start a tank contest lol :)

BLK_VNM

Established Member
oh for the saltwater guys i really dont have many friends into saltwater and actually the only 2 i do have are moving and 1 did give me his tank. so i do have allot of the same corals if you guys ever want to do frag swaps id be more then happy. especially if you guys have any blastomussa's or any cool looking zoo colonies.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
yea im the same way. between cars and fish im broke 100% of the time.

what kind of anenomes do you guys have? ive been trying to get my hands on either a rbta or an electric green atlantic carpet. you guys wouldnt happen to have child colonies of those.

i know a good deal about cichlids if you guys ever need help. i was actually very successful in mixing african with south american in the same tank and not have any loses to fighting or stress. my fav were frontosa's and the entire family of Aulonocara.

time to start a tank contest lol :)

I've got a green bubble tip anemone. The carpets are pretty easy to keep from what I hear. Suggestion if you wanna keep them....as much lighting as you can afford, tons of water flow (I have two emperor 400's, protein skimmer, and two flowjets) and a lot of patience! I seriously have to check my water twice a day to make sure everything is perfect. While a 60 looks like a big tank, it's actually really small. The salinity can raise two points in a matter of a day on a warm summer afternoon! Parameters that change = a dead anemone....not that I would know....ummmm....four times.... :bash:

Now that I've figured everything out with the anemone, they do great in my tank. He's gotten huge in a very short amount of time!

Last edited:

BLK_VNM

Established Member
ive got no problem keeping them my tanks have more then enough of everything. my 90 is especially bright running in at 770 watts or light total and i have wel over a 2k gph turn over rate in the tank.

i was just wondering if anyone had 1 of those 2 anenomes that had split. as far as keeping water paramaters perfect its more or less helping them find their perfect spot. i dont check my parameters that much mabey once a night when i feed them. its just about having a seasoned tank and not 1 you just set up. they can take changes after all they are primarily top of the reef and lagoon creatures and those 2 regions have huge fluctuations every day.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
mine hasn't split yet....give it lots of iodine, and lots of food....then change half the water. The stress will cause them to split supposedly

Users who are viewing this thread