anyone in here "terminated" their 96-98?

trueblue

Established Member
I am perusing ideas for a project after I graduate and get a job and pottsy's car makes me want a White Cobra. And I was thinking it would be cool to have a terminator drivetrain/powertrain in it. Anyone on here done a complete swap? Im talking engine/harness/t56/IRS. I am just curious how much it cost and how involved it was. Thanks.

Kevin

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I was going to but after looking at everything I wanted done, it was cheaper to just go out and buy a 2004 Cobra.

-Jeff

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I'm on my way. I have the T56 and will be swapping my buddy for his IRS soon. Maybe the motor will come next, who knows.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Why do you guys want to swap to an IRS? I know its a better ride, but not good for 1/4 mile times.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Why is it not good for 1/4 times? You can get rid of the hop and its more or less comparable to beefing up a solid axle to drag...

I've been on both ends of the spectrum and would choose hands down an IRS.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
DKS2814V said:
Why is it not good for 1/4 times? You can get rid of the hop and its more or less comparable to beefing up a solid axle to drag...

It's heavier and weaker.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
na svt said:
It's heavier and weaker.
Harder to swap gears.

Like someone posted, the terminator is more of a road racing machine. If you want a drag racer, buy a Mach 1.

I'd never swap the IRS out for a solid axle.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Not everyone is interested in 1/4 mile times. Plus it's been proven the IRS can be built to run very fast times. But it has to be modded just like a solid.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
na svt said:
It's heavier and weaker.

You have to beef up a solid axle if you're going to make it a drag machine also...

I just hate to see the pros and cons of the two when they're really not all that different when you sink some money into them.

+1 to CY's comment. Road racing is hands down more fun than drag racing. My opinion anyways...

Not to hijack, but there was a sn95 for sale in the Market recently that had the swap done to it Kevin. I think you need a cowl hood too to clear the Eaton. Not positive though.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I think the Cobra hood will clear the eaton. It clears the KB with only a slight modification so I think it would clear the eaton also. Not positive though.

cobra196

svt poster
Established Member
looked into that already. to put that engine in would be from $3500 - $4000 plus the eaton will not clear the stock hood. i was told this from a place who just specializes in mustangs (one of the mechanics told me he tought about doin that already but the stock hood wont clear). yea and to do that other shi* is more $$.

matt888

Established Member
DKS2814V said:

You nailed it man! I love my IRS! I was on an open track this past weekend and knew exactly what my back end was going to do. Yes, a good solid setup will do well too but the IRS brings the mustang from the stone age up to at least.... well, the 80's! :-D

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
DKS2814V said:
Price, and a three link isn't as bad as the sn95 4 link.....

Yeah, the new 3 link is a bad ass compromise. It does not handle quite as well as an IRS, but it is 1000 times better than the old 4 link.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
DKS2814V said:

How many drag cars have you seen with an IRS? Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer an IRS myself because I am more interested in road course racing. But if the IRS was better for dragging, they'd all have switched by now.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Hersheyman said:
How many drag cars have you seen with an IRS? Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer an IRS myself because I am more interested in road course racing. But if the IRS was better for dragging, they'd all have switched by now.

They're not BETTER, but can be made equally as good and is a GREAT compromise if you build it up like you would a solid. You'd get a great launching car that has been proven to run 9s already, and then you'd get to drive home in a bit more luxury... If you wanted to take it open tracking, you could do that too.

I just find it confusing why people immediately jump to installing a solid axle in an IRS car when they haven't even tested the abilities yet. To each their own though.....

Users who are viewing this thread