Anyone here taking the LSAT next SAT?

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
so.. is anyone here taking the LSAT?
i am.. and shiat.. i'm scared out of my mind.. yesterday i dreamt i was taking the test and my eraser was defective and instead of erasing, it would just start bubbling all the wrong answers by mistake!:bash:

I just finished another practice test right now and so far so good. not a 180, but better than i was hoping for.

If you are taking the test, or have taken the test.. how did you prepare?
Any tips for the day of the exam? I have been preparing for the last.. 2-3 months.. but off and on, and this past week i have just been doing 3 hour drills... they are a biatch but i feel ready... one more week.
Can't wait.:beer:

I just want to get it over with.. if i do poorly, i'll have to take the GRE before december and just get a Masters on Sociology.
Anyone taken the GRE? how similiar is it to the lsat?
Thanks.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Wow you really sound committed to studying law:rolleyes:

I took the LSATs in Feb. I bought the book with ten practice tests in it and did all ten in the alloted time. I did well on the test.

I am in law school now!

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
i am.. but it's always good to have a back up plan, wouldn't you think?
how was the experimental part? were you able to identify it? for some reason, i'm scared that if i flunk it i won't be able be perferm well on the rest.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
jmir018 said:
i am.. but it's always good to have a back up plan, wouldn't you think?
how was the experimental part? were you able to identify it? for some reason, i'm scared that if i flunk it i won't be able be perferm well on the rest.

It is always good to have a backup plan, but if you dont do well on the LSAT one time you are off to a totally different career?

I happen to take the LSAT only once, but my understanding is that the vast majority of people take it more than once.

You wont know which is the experimental question part. Some texts say you will know because the questions seem off, I couldnt tell. So, all the sections appeared to be very similar except the writing section.

You wont know whether you bombed a section or not until you get the results.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I stayed in a bar the night before, never studyed, and only got a few hours of sleep. I did a little above average and got into my 1st choice of schools. It wasn't a very hard test for me. It was much different than my science background, with which I'm sure Adam will agree.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
SID297 said:
I stayed in a bar the night before, never studyed, and only got a few hours of sleep. I did a little above average and got into my 1st choice of schools. It wasn't a very hard test for me. It was much different than my science background, with which I'm sure Adam will agree.

Hell yes I will agree. The MCATs sucked and I studied a lot. The GRE was cake.

I found the LSATs to be logic and reasoning, so for those with heavy science backgrounds like us, it wasnt bad. I was just surprised they could read my handwriting on the essay part.

PhotonSabreX

Motor City Slicker
Established Member
I'm taking them this Saturday also. I haven't been studying as intensly as I should, but I'm finding myself more and more comfortable...I've been practicing on and off since May.

My biggest problem is my psychological state...I have really heavy test anxiety and I have an issue with shutting down and freaking out during my practice tests. If I could walk in there with some confidence, it would be easy street, but it's tough to whip my emotions into shape. I've been mentally preparing myself for the last week now, and it seems to be working so far.

Best of luck to you dude, you'll do great.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:

I found the LSATs to be logic and reasoning, so for those with heavy science backgrounds like us, it wasnt bad. I was just surprised they could read my handwriting on the essay part.

haha.. thanks for the tips. there are only a couple of schools who actually bother reading the writting sample, so maybe they never did.;-)

I'm so random on the game part. yesterday with one of the past lsat i scored 23 out of the 25 questions on that section and had time to spare(my highest score to date)
Today, i just came back from a prep seminar.. and did so poorly it's not even funny.

Yeah, the thing with taking the Lsat twice is that most schools average the scores.. and December would be the next test date and i won't get the results until a little after the deadlines for some schools.
Do you happen to have any websites that list all schools nation wide?
I have the ones for CA.. but will now start concidering going out of state.

I hope to get into UC davis, but will be applying to berkely and Standford also, although i know i won't get in. but it doesn't hurt to apply... ofcourse.. i'll be applying to about 10 more.. but those are my dream schools.. so to speak.
I plan on studying international law... some type of international corporate law and hopefully work in south america or europe.

One more question, kinda dumb, but.. when you get into law school. does your gpa start from 0.. or do you keep on building from you undergrad?
Thanks.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
PhotonSabreX said:
I'm taking them this Saturday also. I haven't been studying as intensly as I should, but I'm finding myself more and more comfortable...I've been practicing on and off since May.

My biggest problem is my psychological state...I have really heavy test anxiety and I have an issue with shutting down and freaking out during my practice tests. If I could walk in there with some confidence, it would be easy street, but it's tough to whip my emotions into shape. I've been mentally preparing myself for the last week now, and it seems to be working so far.

Best of luck to you dude, you'll do great.

Good luck to you too.
Let's pm each other after the test to see how we well we did.
Have you visited your test site yet? might want to try that.. that way you are familiar with your surroundings.. that might take some of the edge off..

Good luck, do u know what happens with our gpas?

I was talking to several people today and realizing how vital it is to finish in the top 15-10 percent of our class.. and was wondering if everyone starts out from the same score as opposed to having people start up already at a disadvantage.
Thanks.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:

haha, Im glad to see I wasnt the only person who was worried about them being able to read my handwriting.

At first I had serious trouble with the LSAT, however, once I took a couple deep breaths and just treated it like any other test, I didnt have a problem. I find the test to be just like Adam said, a reasoning exam. So just dont let the fact that its an important test stress you, its really not a huge deal.

I ended up taking it on 0 sleep because I was so nervous, and ended up doing reasonably well, however my score did suffer from the lack of sleep. I will be starting law school @ Nova this spring. I had originally planned on Stetson, but decided I should save my money on a really good tip from an anonymous source =p

FordSVTFan

Established Member
jmir018 said:
haha.. thanks for the tips. there are only a couple of schools who actually bother reading the writting sample, so maybe they never did.;-)

I'm so random on the game part. yesterday with one of the past lsat i scored 23 out of the 25 questions on that section and had time to spare(my highest score to date)
Today, i just came back from a prep seminar.. and did so poorly it's not even funny.

Yeah, the thing with taking the Lsat twice is that most schools average the scores.. and December would be the next test date and i won't get the results until a little after the deadlines for some schools.
Do you happen to have any websites that list all schools nation wide?
I have the ones for CA.. but will now start concidering going out of state.

I hope to get into UC davis, but will be applying to berkely and Standford also, although i know i won't get in. but it doesn't hurt to apply... ofcourse.. i'll be applying to about 10 more.. but those are my dream schools.. so to speak.
I plan on studying international law... some type of international corporate law and hopefully work in south america or europe.

One more question, kinda dumb, but.. when you get into law school. does your gpa start from 0.. or do you keep on building from you undergrad?
Thanks.

You havent registered for the LSAC? The LSAC site has a list of all ABA law schools in the country. When you take the LSAT twice the LSAC averages them.

You are going to apply to 13 law schools? Good luck with that.

Your G.P.A. at law school is a seperate and distinct entity from your Undergrad G.P.A.

For the schools you listed I hope you have an amazing undergrad GPA and awesome LSATs.

Berkeley: Avg undergrad gpa is 3.90 and avg LSAT is 169 for admission
U.C. Davis: g.p.a. is 3.8 and LSAT is 164
Stanford: g.p.a. is 3.96 and LSAT is 172

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
You havent registered for the LSAC? The LSAC site has a list of all ABA law schools in the country. When you take the LSAT twice the LSAC averages them.

You are going to apply to 13 law schools? Good luck with that.

Your G.P.A. at law school is a seperate and distinct entity from your Undergrad G.P.A.

For the schools you listed I hope you have an amazing undergrad GPA and awesome LSATs.

Berkeley: Avg undergrad gpa is 3.90 and avg LSAT is 169 for admission
U.C. Davis: g.p.a. is 3.8 and LSAT is 164
Stanford: g.p.a. is 3.96 and LSAT is 172

I registered for the lsac.. long ago. i only found a list of their california schools, but i haven't really devoted time to exploring that site.

Like i said.. you are actually wrong about the gpa at davis. you've got to look beyond the numbers there are other several aspects that influence admission.
Buddy of mine just got into Davis a couple of years ago with a GPA of ONLY 3.1 and lsat of 150 something. He, of course, has several mitigating factors on his side.
However, like i said. i wanna get into Davis.. .. that's my reach school, but will also apply to the previously mentioned schools expecting not to get in. I have a pamphlet of the people admitted in for 2005 and 2006 and there are several .. i mean several people being admitted with gpas of barely 3.0 and few with under 3.0s.. so why be pessimistic? the lowest lsat score for admission was 150. but like my advisor said.... what's the worst they can say.. no? i'll give it a try. rather KNOW they didn't take me.. than wonder what could have happened
My gpa is competent and solid, that's why i'm stressing about the test. The test is the only thing that can mess me up.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
jmir018 said:
I registered for the lsac.. long ago. i only found a list of their california schools, but i haven't really devoted time to exploring that site.

Maybe you should take some time to look at the site as it will answer a lot of questions for you.

jmir018 said:
Like i said.. you are actually wrong about the gpa at davis. you've got to look beyond the numbers there are other several aspects that influence admission.

I dont know where you get your info, but those stats are reported to LSAC every year and they compile them. My numbers are the median listed for U.C. Davis. That means that people got higher and and some got lower, but to be considered competitive you need to be in that area.

jmir018 said:
Buddy of mine just got into Davis a couple of years ago with a GPA of ONLY 3.1 and lsat of 150 something. He, of course, has several mitigating factors on his side.

So, that means what? The median is still the median. He is an example of one of the people that offsets the guy who got a 180 LSAT with a 4.0:shrug:

jmir018 said:
However, like i said. i wanna get into Davis.. .. that's my reach school, but will also apply to the previously mentioned schools expecting not to get in. I have a pamphlet of the people admitted in for 2005 and 2006 and there are several .. i mean several people being admitted with gpas of barely 3.0 and few with under 3.0s.. so why be pessimistic? the lowest lsat score for admission was 150. but like my advisor said.... what's the worst they can say.. no? i'll give it a try. rather KNOW they didn't take me.. than wonder what could have happened
My gpa is competent and solid, that's why i'm stressing about the test. The test is the only thing that can mess me up.

You need to seriously look at the OFFICIAL stats directly from the LSAC via the school. Your numbers are not accurate. Even the 25% low end of U.C. Davis is 3.46 gpa with 158 LSAT and those are the people with a lot of extracurricular activities and such that offset their low score. You need to take a realistic look.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/OFFGUIDE/pdf/aba4834.pdf

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I suggest you look for more in a school than numbers, find one that fits your personality.

That's what I did and I can't imagine going anywhere else.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
You need to seriously look at the OFFICIAL stats directly from the LSAC via the school. Your numbers are not accurate. Even the 25% low end of U.C. Davis is 3.46 gpa with 158 LSAT and those are the people with a lot of extracurricular activities and such that offset their low score. You need to take a realistic look.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/OFFGUIDE/pdf/aba4834.pdf

i got those stats i was mentioning from a pamphlet sent to me by UC Davis outlining the class of 2005.

WEll.. numbers don' matter.. i'm not in the lower 25% so i have a better chance than they do...
I don't believe that just because "my numbers might not be in the top 90 percentile" mean that i shouldn't apply? how would it hurt me to apply?
I don't expect to get in... that's why i said, it is my dream school.. not one of the ones i'll be getting in for sure.;-)

I honestly just want the best school i can get that specializes in international law.
whichever that one might be.

PhotonSabreX

Motor City Slicker
Established Member
jmir018 said:
i got those stats i was mentioning from a pamphlet sent to me by UC Davis outlining the class of 2005.

WEll.. numbers don' matter.. i'm not in the lower 25% so i have a better chance than they do...
I don't believe that just because "my numbers might not be in the top 90 percentile" mean that i shouldn't apply? how would it hurt me to apply?
I don't expect to get in... that's why i said, it is my dream school.. not one of the ones i'll be getting in for sure.;-)

I honestly just want the best school i can get that specializes in international law.
whichever that one might be.

I hear that. I'm going to be looking at going back to Michigan for my first choice. I went there for undergrad, and they're one of the few law schools that like to take from their undergrad stock. Plus they have on of the best public law school rankings in the country.

My father and half-brother both graduated from UC Berkeley law, so even though my GPA is a little bit under their average incoming class, I'm hoping that my family's legacy will help, provided that my scores are on point.

I'm also looking at University of Florida, UCLA, NYU, and some tier 2 schools in MI as back ups. It never hurts to apply. Who knows, anything can happen within reason.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
you have to wait.. you can pay extra to view them a little sooner.. i think within a few weeks.. but still.. waiting is gonna be worse than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread