Anyone here own a German Shepherd?

94ShoOff

AKA Darkside
Established Member
Picking one up in two days. Seven weeks in this picture.
Scooby.jpg

fiveo'cobra

Established Member
If you get a GS just make sure you have the room for it if its an outside dog. They need a lot of room to be happy. I had to get VERY creative to keep mine in backyard. She would dig holes underneath our fence to get out. I'd put cement blocks on both sides of the fence. She'd then move the blocks. We also put in high grated fence to keep her from jumping over (she would jump clear over a 6ft fence), but one day i looked outside and she was scaling it like a mountain climber.

Absolutely brilliant dogs. So well mannered and so loyal. I could throw a steak in front of her and tell her to stay and she would sit look at me dead in the eyes until I said otherwise.

Like others said sometimes she would just roam around our neighborhood close by since there isnt many children or people where I am and come back an hour later. But one sad day she didn't come back. 5 days passed and someone called and said they found her on the side of the road in neighborhood close by. She had been hit by a car. The mother****er that hit her didn't even bother to get out of his car and look at her collar to call and tell me. I would of loved to known what heartless prick it was so i could break his face. Till this day I blame myself for not being more protective of her, but it was so hard to keep her in one place.

So i guess the lesson is be forewarned. If you choose to keep it as an outside dog, their intelligence and creativity may surprise you.

MoreBoostPlease

Lifted and Boosted
Established Member
Thanks for the replies, I have been looking at websites that show all the dogs in the rescue shelters and some of them do seem really nice. The only thing I worry about is the health of some of the GSD's there because of the hip problems that larger breeds can run into.

As far as having time to spend with the GS, I would have more then enough time every day to play and train it. I would want one based on the fact that I want it to be a very good companion for years to come. There are also three other dogs in the household so that is why I would need a puppy to start. I can't have a battle over who will be the alpha in the household.

Shepherds are very prone to hip problems.

Why do you feel the need for a 4th dog? Just curious.

Also, you don't necessarily need a puppy. Many adult dogs get along just fine with others. A rescue group can guide you towards a dog that does well with others. I am concerned though, as it sounds like you are looking for a dog with a submissive personality, which is not very GS like at all. Don't confuse obedient with submissive.

Last edited:

MoreBoostPlease

Lifted and Boosted
Established Member
If you get a GS just make sure you have the room for it if its an outside dog. They need a lot of room to be happy. I had to get VERY creative to keep mine in backyard. She would dig holes underneath our fence to get out. I'd put cement blocks on both sides of the fence. She'd then move the blocks. We also put in high grated fence to keep her from jumping over (she would jump clear over a 6ft fence), but one day i looked outside and she was scaling it like a mountain climber.

Absolutely brilliant dogs. So well mannered and so loyal. I could throw a steak in front of her and tell her to stay and she would sit look at me dead in the eyes until I said otherwise.

Like others said sometimes she would just roam around our neighborhood close by since there isnt many children or people where I am and come back an hour later. But one sad day she didn't come back. 5 days passed and someone called and said they found her on the side of the road in neighborhood close by. She had been hit by a car. The mother****er that hit her didn't even bother to get out of his car and look at her collar to call and tell me. I would of loved to known what heartless prick it was so i could break his face. Till this day I blame myself for not being more protective of her, but it was so hard to keep her in one place.

So i guess the lesson is be forewarned. If you choose to keep it as an outside dog, their intelligence and creativity may surprise you.

This makes me sad. I feel bad for the dog, not you. Realizing that she was able to climb the fence, you should not have left her outside unattended. Letting a dog roam the neighborhood?? What's wrong with you?

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Well that's a little confusing. You put down the best family dog ever because he was aggressive? Sorry but this needs some explaining.

In twenty plus years this is the first I've ever heard of a GS needing to be put down for that reason. I know people who take in rescue dogs from the south, I mean dogs that have been seriously messed up by rednecks, and none of them have ever needed to be put down.

Again, I just gotta ask why, I've been around GS for years and reading your post floored me. Never in a million years would I have guessed that I would of just read that. I knew a GS(also a rescued dog from the south) that had been beaten for years, with a golf club even, and after being rescued she is the best dog.

He was just an aggressive dog. I was outside playing football, and there was a hispanic guy mowing the lawn about twenty or so feet from me. The dog just went after him. Had to get him tattoo'd due to him biting someone, then he did it again when one of the garbage men came close the back gate. At this point my family was moving out of the country and NO ONE would adopt him due to his past. So, we had to put him down. I cried like a baby for days....

Again, he was protecting my family and I, but in general was an aggressive dog when it came to people he didn't know.

Don't get me wrong, they are awesome dogs, and ours was as loyal as ever. If I laid down on the ground, he would push my legs apart and curl up in my lap (he was an easy 120lbs). Very playful with the family and extremely smart. But, for some reason, if ANYONE came around the house, we had to sit them down, THEN bring the dog in so he could get acclimated. Even friends that I had for years, would have to be treated the same way.

I miss him like hell, and think about him constantly....but, the fact of the matter is, he was an aggressive Shepherd.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
I have owned 2 and both were very loyal smart they are just the GREATEST BREED EVER IMO and I wil not even consider a different breed. And it's true if you dont play, train or just plan in simple give them attention they will let you know HEY you better play with me.

jeostang46

Established Member
I've had a GSD growing up, and adopted one about 4 years ago. How do you guy exercise your GSDs? I can throw a frisbee about 4 time and he will run after it and bring it back but when he get bored with it he wanders off.

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
Makes me sad to look at all the pictures.... I had to get Rid of Maverick about 3 months ago because i am moving to Belgium..

He was a n awesome dog and well behaved..... i will get another when i retire....and settle down

Why did you get rid of it? I'm in the AF too and stationed in Netherlands and there are plenty of dogs here that are brought from the States. True, we are not in Belgium but the regulations in Belgium and the Netherlands are very similar.

Last edited:

94ShoOff

AKA Darkside
Established Member
Here is Scooby protecting me while I'll sleep.(Yes, he's much better looking)
ScoobyDad.jpg

A crazy horse broke in and was taken out
ScoobHorse.jpg

Ice, you have a PM.

03cobraracer

Established Member
im in NJ and i have a shepard also. he just turned one. if u want the name of the breeder we used shoot me a PM and i will get it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread