Anyone here own a German Shepherd?

IcE

Established Member
I am very interested in having a German shepherd soon and would like to know if anyone around the NJ area has one. I just want to know what they think of the dog and where they purchased from. I am looking to find a good breeder in the area and I know all about the puppy mills in Lancaster so I'm trying to stay away from anywhere near that area.

Thanks

dogmush

Established Member
I have two GSD's and they're great dogs. There's the useal disclamer of make sure they get exercise, and train them to do stuff that goes with any smart, active breed. They tend to find ways to entertain themselves if you don't give them stuff to do. And for the most part dog's self-entertainment isin't behavior their humans like. (Mine eat the house. Yes, eat, as in chew and swallow, and yes, the house, as in walls and flooring)

While I don't know any breeders in NJ, I urge anyone looking to geet a dog to check out rescues in their area. They tend to be less $ and nothing in this world is more loyal then an abused dog that has found a good home.

Looks like you have a good Rescue there in NJ:

http://www.gsgsr.org/

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
I've had a couple. Our last one was quite aggressive and had to be put down. However, he was one of the best family dogs we've ever had.

If/when you decide to adopt/purchase one, I'd strongly recommend exposing it to other dogs and children and other people at an early age. They are extremely loyal dogs and will protect you at all costs, but the things they see as endangering, you might not see in the same perspective.

All in all, they are awesome dogs. I want another one when I get my own home..but, you MUST do some research and put a lot of time into the dog.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
I got one three years ago from the SPCA. He was a year old at the time. Great dog -- very protective of my 11 year old daughter. He loves people and doesn't bother my cats. He doesn't like other dogs though. (Still trying to teach him not to play with skunks though. He doesn't seem to get that.)

+1 on trying to rescue one. Rescued dogs are some of the most loyal dogs ever. It's almost like they understand that you saved them.
Most shelters and rescues will "test" the dog to see whether he gets along with kids, other dogs, other pets, etc.

paintballpyro1

Established Member
I have one also along with our boxer. The shepherd tends to be submissive around our boxer even tho he is twice the size. If you do get one like dogmush said TRAIN THEM, give them a job. If you dont they will eat the house, mine does the same thing. He ate my brand new oakleys...never got to wear them! They are very protective esp if its just my sister or moms at home. They lose hair alot so you have to brush them out. They are great dogs tho, people are afraid to come to our door with an all black german shep. barking his ass off.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Best dogs in the world IMHO! I grew up with them and love them to death. Don't have one now but will hopefully get another one sooner or later.

ka3ak

Breast Connoisseur
Established Member
interesting story: when the nazis tried to blow up the building my grandparents lived in, their shepherd put out the fuze of the tnt - it hid in the closet when the nazis were kicking people out of the building and by luck, the tnt was placed in their apt. smart, smart dogs man.

97samssnake

Established Member
I have one, great dog. He gets along with all my other dogs very well. He does like to bring him "treasures" though. Like skunks, rabbits, snakes, anything he can bring home.

MoreBoostPlease

Lifted and Boosted
Established Member
Why do you want a German Shepherd? How much time do you spend away from home?(ie. work/play/etc)
Adoption is the way to go. Mine is a rescue and I have never met a more loyal dog.

Your best bet is to go through a rescue group,...not something like an spca. I only say that because a rescue group will visit your home, ask the appropriate questions, and ensure that the dog will be a perfect fit into your life. And,..if anything backfires, they will usually take the dog back with no questions asked.

Having said that, mine is from an spca, but I knew what I was getting into.

Research research research. Learn everything about the breed.

Lastly, if you do get one and things don't work out, give the dog to a rescue group, not the spca. Unfortunately, most SPCA's are "kill" shelters meaning that when they run out of room they start euthanizing animals.

Terrminatted

Turtle Man
Established Member
My German Shepard just turned 11. She's gettin old and will be missed alot. She has been very protective and VERY VERY loyal. If she gets out of the caged in backyard she will roam around for a bit and act like she doesn't hear you, but when she's ready to come back, she will. I love her to death.

IcE

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, I have been looking at websites that show all the dogs in the rescue shelters and some of them do seem really nice. The only thing I worry about is the health of some of the GSD's there because of the hip problems that larger breeds can run into.

As far as having time to spend with the GS, I would have more then enough time every day to play and train it. I would want one based on the fact that I want it to be a very good companion for years to come. There are also three other dogs in the household so that is why I would need a puppy to start. I can't have a battle over who will be the alpha in the household.

Common

Established Member
I have and am from NJ as well. Mine was a present though, cant really tell you much about where from, I hear his father was from a champion line of gs or something.

At 8 months.
max2.jpg

10 months
0515081900a.jpg

Last edited:

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
Makes me sad to look at all the pictures.... I had to get Rid of Maverick about 3 months ago because i am moving to Belgium..

He was a n awesome dog and well behaved..... i will get another when i retire....and settle down

paintballpyro1

Established Member
here is mine at about a year. Its hard to get a picture cause he is all back with alittle white on his chest.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

He started to "train" himself. He smells everyone that comes in the house and will bark at them if he smells something on them. Did that to the babysitter untill we asked what was in the pocket and ended up being small pieces of weed. haha freaked her out.

Last edited:

canibus

Established Member
i saw the HUGEST german sheppard the other day, he was the size of a saint bernard easy. when he barked people backed the f back. ofcourse my pitbull wanted to go up to it to say hello but i doubt the sheppard wanted to make friends

amigrad06

SVT Noob!
Established Member
I've had dogs my whole life, and most of them Golden retrievers, and then as I got older, Border collies. In December of '06 a very small, scared, and sick German Shepard was left on our doorstep. She was somewhere around 4 months old, skinny, and had a very bad heart defect. Here is a small article that was done on us

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-32999915_ITM

Neither of us had ANY experience with GS's, but she is an AMAZING dog. After she had open heart surgery, she was, and still is a ball of energy. She bounces everywhere she goes, not really running but pouncing. She gets along with the other dogs for the most part, we have 6 other dogs, so pecking order had to be established. There was a few scraps, but no bloodshed, and everthing fell into place. the MOST IMPORTANT PART OF OWNING THIS TYPE OF DOG IS EXCERSIZE. Shepards are a herding breed, so some of what folks might see as agressive is just a shep doing what they were bred to do, round up stuff, and sometimes that stuff maybe small children. They are fiercly loyal, and very protective of family. I cannot stress enough how important crate training is as well, it will protect your belongings, and your pet when you are not home. Heck even when we are home Hannah will just go lay down and chill in her crate, it's her safe place. Good luck with the dog!

paintballpyro1

Established Member
Our dog will not leave us alone haha. He will follow you to the bathroom, bedroom where ever. He tends to find spots that he can lay down and yet still keep an eye on where everyone is in the house at the same time. They listen very good tho.

Users who are viewing this thread