anyone here go from a 99-04 GT to a 2011+ GT? Thoughts?

paradigm

Established Member
I have a 2000 GT that is in great condition with the usual bolt-ons (shorty headers, full exhaust, 3.73 gears, struts/springs, intake plenum, throttle body, SFCs, canned tune), but the car feels sluggish around town, isn't good on gas, is very rough over uneven pavement, and just overall I am getting tired of it. It needs about $6k to get it to where I want (panhard bar, rear LCAs, used centrifugal supercharger & tune, good seats, cobra body pieces painted/installed). I am thinking that at the end of the day the 6k is a waste to drop onto something that will still not feel as nice as the 2011+ GT.

Is moving to a 2011+ GT the cure to all my problems? Is it that much better? Has anyone here owned both? What are some notes you can make on the comparison. I still have yet to drive a new 5.0L mustang, but I figure test driving will ultimately make up my mind.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I have not personally owned a new edge but I have driven countless of them at work.

A 2011+ is worlds above a new edge on every single category. If you have not driven one then you need to.

-Thomas

str3ck

Established Member
i went from an 03' to a 2013. (not including my Boss). I had the 2013 GT for about a week before i was able to take it back and get the Boss instead. Anyway move to the 2011+. you will not regret it in the least.

M33P

Established Member
I went from a supercharged 2002 GT to a bolt on 2012 GT. First off, the 2012 is FAR more comfy then the 2002, even with both being lowered. Also, the 2012 has a lot smoother ride. I think the sound system in my 2002 was better, i do have a premium 2012 and the sound just seems very lacking. As far as power, the 2012 is a lot more linear where as my centrifugal 2012 was all top end power. Overall, definitely dont regret the change.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
I had a full bolt on 03 GT a while back....they sound great. A 4V is much better bone stock than a full bolt on 2V. As far as it being a cure...umm sure why not but you will always want to mod. I'm about to have 12k in mine shorty when I do suspension/tires. There is no cure lol. You always want more... ;-)

ah4449

Svt browser
Established Member
I went from a 2000 gt to a 2011 over two years ago, I don't regret it in the least!!! Other than I'm still paying for it ;)

jas11151990

Established Member
I went from my 03 GT to my 11 GT...I would never go back. The ride, comfort and quality is amazing. I do love the styling of the 03 and if your car is paid off I would stick with it. The 4.6 sounds amazing and has potential and is less common now.

Last edited:

NavAv

Established Member
I currently have an '01 Bullitt and I just got a '14 GT a few months back. Night and day difference. I still enjoy the Bullitt for its own little quarks though

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Had an 03 Cobra, although I love the look of the New Edge Mustangs (Especially the Terminator), I would never own another after my '11 GT Premium. The new ones are better in every way.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
The new stuff is so much easier to work on and can make a lot of power with ease. The new chassis is just all around better - stiffer, can handle really well, etc.

Can't beat the looks of the new edge body style though.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
I went from a 04 Cobra to a 2014 GT and don't miss the Cobra really at all, aside from the blower whine, but that's about it. The 2014 is leaps and bounds above it in literally every category. So I'm sure going from a 99 GT to a 2011+ would blow you away.

SCMOKN

Established Member
I was in the same situation. After I had my 03 blown GT destroyed I picked up a 03 Mach 1. Had it for about a 16 months. After figuring out where I wanted to be with it and the money it would take it only made sense to move to a new (2012) platform. The only downside is having a payment after not having one for 4 years.

01GTB

Established Member
I currently have an '01 Bullitt and I just got a '14 GT a few months back. Night and day difference. I still enjoy the Bullitt for its own little quarks though

Same here. I'll say this though. To me my new one doesn't have the mojo the Bullitt has. The Bullitt still draws more attention.

13BlackGT

Established Member
The best way to find out is to go test drive a new one. The difference is amazing between a 2000 and a new 5.0. We kept our 2000GT when we got the 13

Last edited:

califsp

Established Member
I drove my 99 GT for 13 years. I was close to buying a supercharger kit for it. Then I talked to someone at a Starbucks with a 2013 GT500. That was it. I had to get a new mustang. Can't afford a GT500 so I got a 2013 black GT. I loved my new edge, but I don't miss it when I drive my 13.

pickles

Established Member
I had an 04 GT then moved onto an 04 Mach 1 (with full bolts). Ended up selling the mach 1 with intentions of buying a terminator. But I drive by the Ford dealer every day on the way to work so one day I decided to stop in and test drive a 13', just to see what its like.. Right away I knew I wasn't going back to a new edge, put a deposit down and ordered a car that week. No regrets

Users who are viewing this thread