Anyone heard of speed cameras?

Jens03GT

Established Member
I have not been in the states for almost a year now and I was wondering if they use speed cameras. They are everywhere over here. For you guys that may have never heard the term.....
They have these cameras posted all over the streets and HWYs.If you drive passed them speeding they will take a picture of your car. A few days later you will receive the picture in the mail attached to your ticket. I think it is cops being lazy .Have you guys ever seen this.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Cops being lazy?? Not really!

These are often vans with the equipment and no officer in them. They are triggered by radar and the photo is taken. Most places have stopped using them as the photo needs to be a perfect face shot of the driver to show exactly who was driving.

In one area I know they were using it, people stood in line to show the clerk the picture on the summons wasnt of them. It seemed that 3 times out of 5 the person could not be adequately identified by the picture so the summons was dismissed.

SVT4ME

Established Member
They have perfected it in Germany and it can't be that hard to do. So why can't the states. Well on second thought am glad they havent.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
The problem is different windshields and glares and lighting that effect the quality of the picture. So no one will ever "perfect" it. Plus a driver wearing a hat, glasses, facial hair, etc...

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
North Carolina legislation has just okayed the use of speed cameras over in the Western part of the state around Charlotte. Charlotte/Meckenburg County always seems to be the test bed for things like this. They were the first in the state to get stoplight cameras.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Didn't the gold color in the Taurus [ I think Taurus] windshield throw off the camera? I thought I heard something like that a few years ago. If true the cameras would create a market for gold tint.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
Hawaii had that crap,....van cams. It was a $h!ttY program ran by the Dept. Of Transportation. Public created such a stink, the Governor abolished the program shortly after.

donpablo

Established Member
Yep, seen them in Germany. They also have them heavily in Qatar and Kuwait for you soldiers/airmen/marines. We were leaving base one night on a 2 lane road. We were in our Pathfinder on the left side passing a slower car on the right. I notice the rapid approach of an SUV from the rear, and before I can merge back right, he blows by both us off-road into the desert on the far right and in a big cloud of dust comes back on the highway doing well over 100MPH.

All of a sudden, the whole area in front of us lights up with FLASH! Scared the sh*t out of me and my buddy. It took us a few moments to assimilate that Haji in the big Toyota LandCruiser just got nailed by candid camera.

DonPablo
in Kosovo

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Originally posted by DonPablo94SVT
Yep, seen them in Germany. They also have them heavily in Qatar and Kuwait for you soldiers/airmen/marines. We were leaving base one night on a 2 lane road. We were in our Pathfinder on the left side passing a slower car on the right. I notice the rapid approach of an SUV from the rear, and before I can merge back right, he blows by both us off-road into the desert on the far right and in a big cloud of dust comes back on the highway doing well over 100MPH.

All of a sudden, the whole area in front of us lights up with FLASH! Scared the sh*t out of me and my buddy. It took us a few moments to assimilate that Haji in the big Toyota LandCruiser just got nailed by candid camera.

DonPablo
in Kosovo

Imagine the liability claims in the U.S. from accidents caused by a bright flash. LOL.

Poseidon

You want some?
Established Member
they have the cameras watching intersections for red light violations, but they have too many problems with proving who was driving to use the speed cameras. They did try though.

TXFLYME1

Pay No Attention
Established Member
Spain has them too. They are hooked up to the fronts of parked unmarked cars along the sides of the roads. You speed by, they auto take a pic of your rear plate. Ticket is mailed to the owner of the vehicle. Doesn't matter who was driving, owner gets the fine. No if's and's or but's.

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
no speed cameras around here but that is because Plano has a VERY highly paid police force that has speed traps set up all over town and are manned by REAL cops, not cameras. Nothing will ever work better than the human element. BTW---we do have stop light cameras around here and there are signs posted at every intersection with these lights that read, "xx,xxx amount of red light violation tickets were issued last year at this light," just to make ppl aware that they do work!

Jens03GT

Established Member
My friends and I have been driving around before and then all of sudden a light flashes in our eyes. When I first saw that I had no idea what to do. They told me we would be getting a ticket in the mall pretty soon. At that point I felt like I had seen everything.

Jens03GT

Established Member
Why can't they just pull over any more. I think that they are just panies over here and are afraid of confrentation.

kiwicobra

Established Member
They have them in Australia and here in NZ.
Here it's the owner's responsibility to 'fess up or finger who was driving - all they need is a pic of the plate front or rear.

In Australia they count for demerit points against the driver and you can lose your licence after three or so and they do double demerits on public holidays.....just drove thru' one yesterday while i was over there so i'll find out the fine soon.

TrophyCar

2wheels are better than 4
Established Member
Originally posted by Bluesnake
If this goes mainstream its time for everyone to start driving around in ski masks. :)

LMAO. Hmm not a bad idea, but then we'd get pulled over. They'd think we robbed a bank or something. LOL. Just no way out of these things.

I think I'll just start driving topless. "No officer, those aren't my boobs. Yes you can keep the picture, and the ticket." LOL

TrophyCar

Users who are viewing this thread