Anyone hear anything new on the Cobra pedal stick issue?

tdo

Established Member
Yesterday, for the second time (first barely noticable), the gas pedal stuck to the floor. I was entering a highway (fellow ahead would not enter the highway (70mph) above 45 mph, so I went to go around him and it stuck. Didn't notice till I went to shift and the revs when through the roof. Happened so fast and banging the gas pedal released it, that I didn't really notice anything as far as tach, etc. Concentrating on not dying.

Anyway, I filed a report last night with NHTSA. This has been under investigation for a long time and from other investigations, it looks like it takes about 5 or 6 months. Well, we are past that.

Anyone hear anything new?

PS. I attack the carpet this weekend. Thanks for the excellent sticky post.

tdo

Established Member
klonoa said:
Is this on all year cobras? Or only the 04's? Was wondering cause that is some scary a$$ stuff right there.

03's and 04's are what they are investigating.

The weird part is, that it doesn't seem to involve regular mustangs. Must be a different pedal (more than just a different pad?).

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
The cobras have different pedals. Supposedly some of the 04's had a notch in the carpet and it was just the 03's with problems. Only time mine gets stuck is when I leave my foot mashed on the floor! :burnout: :shrug:

tdo

Established Member
toomanymustangs said:
The cobras have different pedals. Supposedly some of the 04's had a notch in the carpet and it was just the 03's with problems. Only time mine gets stuck is when I leave my foot mashed on the floor! :burnout: :shrug:

I just got off the phone with NHTSA that called me to follow up. They stated that Ford claims it is only an 04 issue as the pins are different between the 03's and 04's.
All I can do is tell them what happened to me. It did catch. It didn't catch on any floormat.

The caller sounded very interested and I hope this helps us. He did state that he has only seen an 04 pedal assembly. I hope they take the time to check out a production 03 and 04 and see if Ford is telling the truth, or that it even matters that they used different pins, before they make their final decision on what cars to recall.

This is a safety issue. It's not like we are all going to make out like bandits on this..

ravage

The Prick's on the Inside
Established Member
I was the passenger in a fox body one time and that happened. Good thing he responded quickly and cut the ignition. He sold it so now it's someone else’s problem.

BurnTire

Established Member
Happened to me at the track last night.
I trimmed the carpet and it won't happen again.
Could be a major safety issue on the street.

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
Yeah I agree my floor mat slides forward and it sticks a little. I'm not saying it isn't a legit problem but that stupid floor mat ARGH

TEABG

Banned
It happen to me also there is a TSB for it also. So Ford Motor Company is fimiliar with the concern.

TEABG

Banned
Do not laugh at me, but I had a real crappy canned Hypertech tune on my car. Apparently when the motor got very warm the pedal periodically got stuck and it was necessary to turn the car off to stop the car from revving and bouncing off of the rev-limiter. Once I pumped the pedal a few times the pedal popped back into position. Once I had a custom tune performed the gas pedal incident never occurred again. Ford TSB is to replace the Throttle Cable and to avoid oiling the cable.

Last edited:

TEABG

Banned
CALL SVT, they knew all about it when I called. It happened to me about 30 times. Since the tune 0. :smmon:

Last edited:

xchpstang

Established Member
It happened to my 04 a few times and it felt stomach churning nasty to see your RPM's go through the roof and the thought of a toasted motor. Well, fortunately nothing happened but I was nice enough to give the local SVT dealer a chance to fix it. They had it there one day and adjusted the carpet which improved a little bit but the pedal still got stuck. They told me to bring it back and this time they decide to replace the carpet. The carpet was ordered and I will take it back to have it installed. I told them I wouldn't mind them cutting up the carpet to fix the problem but I guess that's not what Ford wants them to do. That tells me Ford is aware of the problem and I am satisfied they are willing to fix it. I did want to be fair and give them the chance to fix the problem before I cut up my carpet. The only thing I am afraid of is that it may be the same exact carpet design and it will get stuck again but who knows, it just may be a better design.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
TEABG said:
It happen to me also there is a TSB for it also. So Ford Motor Company is fimiliar with the concern.
Do you have the TSB number? If so, can you PM or email it to me so that I can add it to my website? Thanks.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
TEABG said:

No...no there isn't! Not at all. There is no TSB...or any acknowledgement whatsoever from Ford at this time for the pedal sticking under the carpet. They definitely know it's out there and that it's being investigated. They have also been asked by the NHTSA to supply information on this issue...and they have complied. Ford, SVT, and the NHTSA all know about it...but nothing as of yet as to a resolution...if one ever comes of it. But there definitely is no TSB regarding this issue.

However, if one has recently been published that I haven't seen, I want to apologize for shooting my mouth off and would LOVE to see a copy of it. But at the time I started the investigation by the NHTSA, there were none.

Last edited:

TEABG

Banned
Edited By L.L. WTF is with your attitude lately? Mellow the fock out!!!! :nonono:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread