Anyone have Maximum Motorsports k-member?

Troyz R Us

Outlaw Division
Established Member
Anyone have an MM k-member? If so, were you forced to use the relocation kit? Or have any MM k-member owners found a filter that fits?

I know the relocation kit is the way to go, just curious as to if anyone has found a filter that for sure fits.

Thanks!

JohnsDSGVert

Established Member
K-Member

Had to relo......the down size of it is not the relo.....it is the size they selected......if you are like me and prefer WIX filters.....they are $15.00 each......I do not understand with the relo why they could not have used a more universal filter.

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
Is there anyway to avoid relocating the filter or is it a must? Will an alternate filter provide necessary clearance?

I guess if I relocate the filter I may as well do the oil cooling mod. I am Just running out of room for coolers and heat exchangers up front.

Jroc

Established Member
I think their relocating the filter to where they do should make changing it much easier and less messy. I have changed oil filters on S10's which have them in the same position and its a cake walk with no mess on the car or the ground. Not that the factory location is overly hard to change or anything.

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
I just wish the oil filter relocation kit was part of the K-member price. I haven't checked thoroughly but I know that relo kit is over $200.00 alone. I can only assume that its not part of the K-member kit. The control arms are not either for that matter. Anyone installed the oil cooler mod?

Troyz R Us

Outlaw Division
Established Member
I agree with you Fastlane, it would be nice if the oil filter relocation kit was part of the k-member kit. The relocation kit for the Cobra is $300....and while I'm sure it will change and already easy oil change job into an easier oil change job, I'd rather spend that $300 somewhere else, but oh well...it's just money right??? lol :cuss:

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
I guess its a well designed K-member with a strong emphasis on handling charateristics. I guess its probably best for me to just modify the stock k-member and save $1000.00 on the upgrade K-member and oil filter relocation/oil cooler kit. Wait a min, its just money right?

And I just hate cutting stock parts...even plastic. I will just keep researching for now.

Troyz R Us

Outlaw Division
Established Member
I hear ya!...I'd much rather buy a $7 filter that fit vs. a $300 relocation kit. If I find anything I'll report back here. Do the same if you don't mind.:rolling:

Zimmer0924

Master Debater
Established Member
I bought a universal kit from Summitracing.com, type in part number SUM-G4985. I've been using it for 1.5 years and it works great. it's only $30.00 too. I have an 03 by the way.
There's no way in hell I would spend $300.00 on a relocation kit. Granted it looks really nice, but who sees it any way. Take a look, it's only $30.00.

Zimmer0924

Master Debater
Established Member
Oh, and I've tried the small filter thing too. I think a bought just about every kind you can get. The smallest I've seen is the cheap generic Walmart kind or Mobile. They will fit if you put them on before you put the k member on. You just don't have enough room to screw the filter out. Relocation kit is a must.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
you do have to relocate the filter. The $300 one from MM is stainless braid, buy the $200 I think it's OC-8 it runs a fiber braided hose. then you can get the cheaper relocation kit's from summit...

Kmember is awesome, don't get caught up in the oil filter relocation!

Users who are viewing this thread