Anyone Have Bad Knees?

RedDemon91

Established Member
I've recently started noticing my knees feeling a little bit different lately. I wouldn't say that they hurt, but when I'm at work and I'm squatting down, and then I stand back up, it's kind of a strain and I can definitely feel it. I'm not sure if it's because lately I"ve been doing heavier squats at the gym, I know the difference between pain and soreness, and this is neither. It just seems like it takes a little bit more effort to stand up now (I'm 20). And I don't want to continue doing heavy squats if it's gonna make it worse, and I'd rather not see a doctor. Just looking to get some opinions from people in here and hear from the people who suffer from bad knees, cause I don't want to be limping by the time I'm 30.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I have had bad knees ever since I can remember (11-12 years old was the first time I really remember it). I went to the doctor about 6 weeks ago and I have chondromalacia of patella and have been working on making it better in physical therapy by strengthening my hips and core. The PT told me that since it's been going on for so long, it will be harder to correct.

wjk

Established Member
I'll ask my girlfriend if she has any advice... :dancenana:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
nope lol

got a torn rotator cuff though...can't wait to get that worked on this winter

Go to a DR get it checked out...my uncle has had both his knees replacd twice! some of that i am sure is becuase he didn't get them looked at by a DR earlier

TJSwoboda

Established Member
I'm starting to wonder, myself. I've always been more comfortable sitting with my knees bent, rather than stretching out. Lately, it's become the opposite: I've been experiencing a discomfort while sitting, that can be alleviated only by keeping my legs extended. This came after some token attempts at exercise, so at first I was like "I'm finally starting to limber up!" But, I'm no closer to being able to touch my toes than I've ever been, so at this point I have to question the quality of my knee joints. :(

I just turned 36. I really need to get in shape before I fall apart...

Last edited:

03snakenvtn

Established Member
My knees always hurt after about 10 seconds of kneeling down. The left side hip is even worse. I'm only 27, but I attribute it to my ridiculous growth spurts when I was young. My legs essentially hurt from about 14-20 years old. I guess that's the deal when you're 6'4" though.

Monster Mach

Established Member
I have cysts on the bone of my left knee said I should have them removed asap... id rather them not **** up my knees.. so I deal with the pain when running standing ect

RedDemon91

Established Member
I have had bad knees ever since I can remember (11-12 years old was the first time I really remember it). I went to the doctor about 6 weeks ago and I have chondromalacia of patella and have been working on making it better in physical therapy by strengthening my hips and core. The PT told me that since it's been going on for so long, it will be harder to correct.
And that's what I don't want to happen, I just hate seeing doctors.
I'll ask my girlfriend if she has any advice... :dancenana:
:lol:
nope lol

got a torn rotator cuff though...can't wait to get that worked on this winter

Go to a DR get it checked out...my uncle has had both his knees replacd twice! some of that i am sure is becuase he didn't get them looked at by a DR earlier
Rotator cuff injuries are no joke. And that's what I always hear, "Well they said if I would have had it looked at sooner...." I'm just so damn stubborn about seeing the doc, guess I better schedule an appointment.
I'm starting to wonder, myself. I've always been more comfortable sitting with my knees bent, rather than stretching out. Lately, it's become the opposite: I've been experiencing a discomfort while sitting, that can be alleviated only by keeping my legs extended. This came after some token attempts at exercise, so at first I was like "I'm finally starting to limber up!" But, I'm no closer to being able to touch my toes than I've ever been, so at this point I have to question the quality of my knee joints. :(

I just turned 36. I really need to get in shape before I fall apart...
Same here!! I find myself getting uncomfortable sitting in a chair unless I extend my legs out now, I just don't know what would cause that.
My knees always hurt after about 10 seconds of kneeling down. The left side hip is even worse. I'm only 27, but I attribute it to my ridiculous growth spurts when I was young. My legs essentially hurt from about 14-20 years old. I guess that's the deal when you're 6'4" though.
A good friend of mine is as tall as you and told me the same thing, he had crazy spurts when he was younger that hurt like hell but now they've settled down.
I have cysts on the bone of my left knee said I should have them removed asap... id rather them not **** up my knees.. so I deal with the pain when running standing ect

That's one thing I would have taken care of, I"ve heard that's pretty common. I mean if they know what it is for sure, and it's a pretty well-known procedure, I'd get it done.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
And that's what I don't want to happen, I just hate seeing doctors.

I do too. The only reason I went now was because when I turn 26 in May I can no longer be on my dad's insurance so I wanted to go get a few things checked out while I know I have good insurance. I'm glad I did because now I know what's going on and what I can do at home to help the pain.

I also went in for my foot because it had been hurting for the last few years and it turns out I need to have surgery sometime in the next few months because I have fairly advanced hallux rigidus. :(

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member

Sounds like me. Im about 6'3 and I cant kneel down too long without my knees killing me for a couple of seconds when I stand back up. I played a ton of sports growing up so that didnt help. The doctors diagnosed me with having this Osgood when I was younger.

OP, I would try to go lighter on squats or try other leg exercises that put less stress on your knees.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Sounds like me. Im about 6'3 and I cant kneel down too long without my knees killing me for a couple of seconds when I stand back up. I played a ton of sports growing up so that didnt help. The doctors diagnosed me with having this Osgood when I was younger.

OP, I would try to go lighter on squats or try other leg exercises that put less stress on your knees.

I'd agree going lighter on the squats. I've found that I can still do leg presses and whatnot, but squats feel like they put a lot more stress on the knees and hips. I'm tall but only 190 lbs so that also doesn't help squating much.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you do see a doctor, don't rule out getting a second opinion if he recommends surgery. You want to be sure surgery is needed. Very often a good PT can help remedy any minor damage done to your knees. I run outside often, and occasionally run 5Ks, 5 mile/10 mile and 1/2 marathons. I've learned to listen to my body. I hurt one of my knees last summer and it took 9 months to heal on its own. Now, if my knees start to ache then I quit the exercise or ease up. I will never "run/exercise through the pain". Pain is a warning sign that I heed. I also do a good warm up/cool down whenever I run. I stretch before and after as well.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Rotator cuff injuries are no joke. And that's what I always hear, "Well they said if I would have had it looked at sooner...." I'm just so damn stubborn about seeing the doc, guess I better schedule an appointment.

hurts like hell man!...and it would have to be my right one so i'm gonna have to learn to wipe my butt with my left hand lol

Last edited:

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
I tore my MCL and partially tore my ACL playing soccer. I can tell you that time heals all. Go easier on your knees and body at the gym. I went to two different orthopedics who had different options/opinions on the next course of action. I decided surgery was the LAST option. I couldn't afford (at the time) to be out of work for more than a few weeks. I still play from time to time and the soreness comes back here and there.

Get a few different opinions. can't hurt too much right?

bright blue

Established Member
Bad knees here. Well, my right knee anyway. It'll pop out of joint from time to time. Other times, it will be fine until I try to sleep, then it'll wake me up at 1 AM saying, "hello, I'm going to be ****ing with you for the next few hours. I serve no purpose other than to keep you up all night." When it does that, I break out the knee brace, tighten it to the point that I can't bend my knee and it'll give some relief. My knee seems like it has pressure if I have my foot held straight, but if I point my toes out just a little all the pressure goes away.

I'm 29 and been dealing with this knee since I was 13.

Users who are viewing this thread