Anyone have a ZR2 Silverado?

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Thinking of one of these or a Trail Boss. The additional $ over the Trail Boss seems worth it. Thoughts?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Guy at work just bought an AT4 Sierra with the 3.0l diesel. Holy shit that truck is nice. He let me drive it and its damn impressive. Rides great, very quiet inside. Great power off the throttle, great mpg being diesel, 10sp auto.

GM has really stepped up in their interiors as well. Its slick.

If there's anything specific you want to see, let me know ill get some pics of his.

muscleatsrice

Established Member
I test drove one of these with the 3.0L diesel and to me the interior seemed very “small”. I was not impressed with the truck. I felt like the sales guy was sitting on my lap. This truck had the full center console also. Compared to the f-150 it felt like a Honda civic interior space wise

Now the 2500, completely different. Very nice truck!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

RickyBobby51

Established Member
Hi Klaus. I like Chevys and race Chevy engines. However, I think that you may wish to be mindful that the newer engines (like my 2016 5.3 Suburban) have direct gas injection. As such, since there is no gasoline flowing past the back of the intake valve anymore, there are now issues associated with carbon build-up on the intake valves. With my 2016, I promptly installed an oil catch-can. It seems to help. I love the Suburban as my daily driver, with 120k miles.

There is also the issue of the cylinder deactivation program. That program has not given me problems on my 2016.

Here is a video re cylinder deactivation issues:

Good luck.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Stay away from the 3.0 Diesel. Extremely complex engine. As an example, Warranty time to R&I the engine is 38 hrs. Warranty time pays the tech only 60% of regular flat rate time. Imagine it taking over a week, 8 hrs a day, for approx 6 days to R&I the engine. All of the timing components are between the back of the block and the trans bellhousing.
They have an issue with the fuel Inj wire harness. Warranty time to replace that harness is almost 7 hrs.
Front crank seal, which I have done 4 of, takes a full day to accomplish. The last front crank seal I did was because one of the other techs had done it 3 times and it still leaked. Replacing the catalytic converter is also a full day job. None of this stuff is fun.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Good stuff, fellas. I would go with the 6.2. The GMC was not on my radar but is now. Very nice truck. Not sure if I want to cough up the extra ching for it but have it in mind. Noted on the Ranchos, my tundra has toytech coil overs so I will be very disappointed stepping down to garbage shocks.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Just picked up this 2023 LTZ Z71 this past Saturday.
I drove the 6.6 gas and the 3.0 diesel and decided on sticking with the 5.3

The 6.6 felt strong, but it was in an LT 2500 with pretty limited options. I was game for the 3.0 until I started reading about them. Their numbers aren't impressive and it sounds like there is a ton of things that can go wrong with them.

As for the interior- I'm super impressed. Its a huge step up from my old 2015 and even my fathers 2022 Elevation package GMC.

Ended up getting 23K trade in on mine and got them down to 62,000 on the truck.

Got the bed cover and leveling kit on order. I'll post pics once I get her sorted out.
Also, let me know if you have any questions or would like more pictures.

Attachments

• 20230722_113712.jpg
    20230722_113712.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230722_153250.jpg
    20230722_153250.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Stay away from the 3.0 Diesel. Extremely complex engine. As an example, Warranty time to R&I the engine is 38 hrs. Warranty time pays the tech only 60% of regular flat rate time. Imagine it taking over a week, 8 hrs a day, for approx 6 days to R&I the engine. All of the timing components are between the back of the block and the trans bellhousing.
They have an issue with the fuel Inj wire harness. Warranty time to replace that harness is almost 7 hrs.
Front crank seal, which I have done 4 of, takes a full day to accomplish. The last front crank seal I did was because one of the other techs had done it 3 times and it still leaked. Replacing the catalytic converter is also a full day job. None of this stuff is fun.

Why are front crank seals going bad?

venmos1

Established Member
I drive an 09 yukon denali with the 6.2L. Love this engine. was never a fan of the chevy/gmc trucks (square wheel wells, etc.). ive owned several ram 1500 and driven various gm at work. i feel that the rams are the most comfortable. having said that, the newer silverados are sharp. check out paxpower.com. vids on youtube as well. for like $20k they do a bunch of upgrades (blower to 650hp tq, exhaust, tune, custom flared fenders etc). looks awesome. a lot of money but i bet its a sweet truck. i would personally get the trx for that money.

Users who are viewing this thread