Anyone have a suggestion for a street tire and size for the 00R

Garlin

Established Member
I was just looking for some info on street tires for my 00R. Sad to say I don't track my R. But I do put the miles on it. 25,000 to date. I did replace the original tires once with the original BFG G-Force but barely got 10,000 miles out of them. I'm going to replace the tires and would like to keep it close to the same look and tread pattern as possible. Anyone have street tires on their 00R. What brand and size are you running. Thanks for your time and help. :shrug:
Garlin

TcM-668

If you got 10K miles, you did well. I only got about 1K out of my first set, and at almost $400 a pop, that broke me real fast.

I went with BFG KDW in a 265/35/18. good all weather tire, and decent mileage.

Also, be sure to have the alignment checkedon your IRS. If it has a track vs street setup, you'll eat tires pretty fast too.

Check with Tire Rack and see what they have that fits.

Garlin

Established Member
Thanks so much for the info. I know what you mean at $400 a pop. I like to get a little more for my money. Did you have any problem with fit on the car with the 265/35/18's? Did they fit ok on the stock rims?

TcM-668

Yep... Plug and Play. Throws off the Speedo a bit, but its not a big deal.

I'm looking at the Yokohama Advan S.4s in 265/40/18 and tire wear of 400. At $ 227 each, they are cheap and should wear like a steel skate wheel. Hopefully not grip like it tho.

See tire Rack dot com.

Looks like a good street tire. I've got 3 sets of wheels, 1 original Y2K with OEM tires, 1 set with The BFG KDW and a set of Steeda UltraLites with BFG R1s

oh Yeah, Discount Tires is a sponsor here, check with them, and see what they might have.

Looked on thier site: Goodyear Eagle F1 All Weather tires for $ 186.00 each. T/W rating 420. Looks like Goodyear FTW.! Especially at that price.

BFG DRIIs for $ 201 each. Might be fun. Just don't get froggy and drop the clutch on them. Might start breaking axles.

Last edited:

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
I have a set of near new (200 miles) 265/35/18
that were on my project car that I am selling.
They are Dunlops.
Went with a bigger tire.
PM me if interested, as they are just taking up space in the garage.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I was just looking for some info on street tires for my 00R. Sad to say I don't track my R. But I do put the miles on it. 25,000 to date. I did replace the original tires once with the original BFG G-Force but barely got 10,000 miles out of them. I'm going to replace the tires and would like to keep it close to the same look and tread pattern as possible. Anyone have street tires on their 00R. What brand and size are you running. Thanks for your time and help. :shrug:
Garlin

If you keep your eye on eBay, good deals on 265/40 KD's can be had that beat $400 per corner. It may even beat some of the other tires quoted in this thread, and you still have "correct original" (except the 100 t.w. rating). From what I have seen recently on Tire Rack, the correct original size KD's for the 2000 Cobra R may be going obsolete. As of last week, all they had were right sides and the inventory for both sides was "low" a couple of months ago. If I remember correctly, the 265/40/18 KD is no longer listed in the BFG on-line catalog.

I think this price is very reasonable for replacement KD's in the correct size for the 00R..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Ne...002QQitemZ120294660929QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Remember, the original KD's were 100 tread wear, very sticky, very soft. The replacement 200 t.w. KDs' might do a little better for extended miles. :shrug:

R

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I would put 285's on there. I know they are not the same as stock, but they would stick better.

As soon as I burn off the wimpy 255's on my '95 I am replacing them with some 275 series Nitto 555RII or NT01s.

Users who are viewing this thread