anyone have a continuation/resolution to this problem??

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
ok then, probably just a bad starter motor. I've had it happen on a couple of other cars. I think they can develop a flat spot so depending on where in the rotation it stops spinning from the previous start the next time it may not engage.

rmgtc01

Established Member
So that is the starter assembly or a separate part? Why would it take 10 minutes or so to crank again.

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
yes, starter assembly. I've never quite figured out why it would start after 10 minutes but that is the way it happened to me also. Maybe just in turning the key the thing is rotating just enough for it to grab.

rmgtc01

Established Member
Cool,....the only problem is that they said they need to duplicate the problem. I know I was trying for them this morning just to see, and it did take a bit longer to crank a few times, but others was right up. I hope at the very least they will just replace the starter so I didn't waste a trip to the dealer and a $50 dollar deductible.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
It could also be a bad grounding wire. When new, my 98 wouldn't turn the starter every 5th or 6th time. I could roll it and pop the clutch (not enough to start it, but just bump the motor slightly) and it would turn over.

Turned out to be a loose grounding cable near the starter. Bumping the motor was enough to make a connection.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Bad ground? PATS? Starter solenoid? All good suggestions. How about an aftermarket alarm? Do you have headers on the car? They could be baking the starter.

rmgtc01

Established Member
no headers, but I do have an aftermarket alarm. It was installed almost a year ago though. Its seems like the grounds in several locations and the starter are the common ideas here. Is PATS the throttle sensor?
Well the car is at the dealers now, but if they cannot duplicate they are giving it back to me less $50 bones out of my pocket.

If/when I do get it back, is there a way to check the PATS? Also where are these grounds located approximately? Pics would be a big help, especially for future reference.
Lastly would the alarm malfunction after 1 year, any history/stories on this? It is a Viper 650V.

thanks

rmgtc01

Established Member
Got the car back a few weeks ago, so I am updating for the records.

The car was at the dealership and they couldn't duplicate the problem for 3 days straight. Service manager said they started it over 30 times a day and drove it as well (good thing I have an optima). Anyways, I asked if they would change the starter out anyways. They did, and come to find out that the Lead tech stated that he speculated a flat spot in the starter (thanks SVTperformance/evans) even though they could not duplicate it.
Had the car for 3 weeks now with no issues at all!! Went from having issues every other day, to starting up every time.
Thanks everyone for the input :beer:

Last edited:

NY04snake

track rat
Established Member
same poop!

having the same issue with mine.

full headers, aftermarket alarm. It does start eventually after stabbing the clutch a few times and/or moving it in and out of gear a couple of times. battery good, alternator still showing proper voltage on the datalogger, I am going to start with the ground, check the tightness of the starter using only two bolts, maybe even swapping the relay out if it is cheap enough but I'm afraid my full headers, which wrap completely around the starter, may have baked it so the next one will get a blanket. Not sure if I even want to risk leaving it at the dealer, but I might.

anyone else resolve this with other discoveries?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Some shielding between the headers and the starter is probably a very good idea anyway. Like my grandmother used say say about a bowl of chicken soup, "Vell, it couldn't hurt."

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
If you take it to the dealer to be fixed, you will have to pay a ton extra to have the job done with headers. Plus you will probably get the warranty denied because of them baking the starter. If it were me, I would do the job myself.

Users who are viewing this thread