Anyone have a 2017/2018 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ a 6 Speed Manual and a 6.7L Cummins?

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
6 Speed Cummins 17/18' RAM it is for me! Sounds like a great truck and it has the one thing any vehicle I buy must have...a manual transmission.

01yellercobra

Established Member
They put exhaust brakes on these?
I have seen a few Rams around that sound like they have Jakes on them.
Yep. I think I got lucky with mine as my understanding is 2015 was the first year Ford had a button for it. Before that it was something with the brake pedal needing to be modulated I believe.
That thing has got to be absolutely screaming at 3500 RPM.
It scared the crap out of me the first time it did it. It's one of the reasons I switch to manual going up and down mountains now. I use it when I'm not loaded too. I have a 6% grade I deal with when driving to and from Az. I'll push the button and then cruise down the mountain without having to touch the brakes.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I'd avoid the years with the CP4 injection pump if you can. I don't remember which ones they are though.
19+ on the rams is CP4
Ford/GM went to it in 11.

You'd think Bosch would have figured out how to fix it. They've made a few minor revisions but nothing big to prevent it. I've seen people cite fuel lubricity/quality as the cause of it, or Bosch blame fuel temperatures, but based on firsthand testing experience, what seems to do it in is losing supply pressure. It's almost like the old VP44 years where if you lose pressure on it, you better shut it off immediately, or it's going to grenade. And the result is not pretty. It dies very quick, and the amount of silver sludge and shavings that was once pump is obscene.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
19+ on the rams is CP4
Ford/GM went to it in 11.

You'd think Bosch would have figured out how to fix it. They've made a few minor revisions but nothing big to prevent it. I've seen people cite fuel lubricity/quality as the cause of it, or Bosch blame fuel temperatures, but based on firsthand testing experience, what seems to do it in is losing supply pressure. It's almost like the old VP44 years where if you lose pressure on it, you better shut it off immediately, or it's going to grenade. And the result is not pretty. It dies very quick, and the amount of silver sludge and shavings that was once pump is obscene.
At least Ram switch for the 2021+ model

Users who are viewing this thread