Anyone go from roush tune to vmp tune on tvs?

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
What it says. Maybe installing smaller pulley (82mm) and vmp tune. How noticeable? Throttle response? Impressions in detail please.

Turbosixx

Established Member
Not sure about Roush's tune, but switching from the 90mm to the 82mm is a very noticeable difference.

torridgoat05

Established Member
im also interested in this, im currently running the roush tune also and was looking to go either with VMP tune with 82mm pulley or VMP tune with JLT cai

10secvette

Established Member
I went with VMP and BBR tunes when I went to a 82mm pulley and JLT intake. Right off the bat the BBR tune rocked while the VMP tune felt just as soft as the Roush tune. On top of that, the logging info from VMP just flat didn't work.

I had heard nothing but mega praise about VMP, which is why I initially ordered from him. Unfortunately, my experience with VMP was less than stellar on a few different levels. Ultimately the tune didn't perform and I wasted $350 for absolutely nothing.

The BBR mail order tune gave 550 rwhp out of the box. The car has since had meth added and a dyno tune. 626/550 10lbs.

JerryC

Established Member
By soft do you mean throttle response?

I dont like a sensitive throttle, I think you have less control that way.

I asked VMP for a more stock like sensitivity. It a matter of prefernence and easily adjusted in the tune.

What were the specs (pulley, cai?) when you hit 550 on the BBR tune? Did you dyno the VMP tune the same day?

10secvette

Established Member
By soft do you mean throttle response?

I dont like a sensitive throttle, I think you have less control that way.

I asked VMP for a more stock like sensitivity. It a matter of prefernence and easily adjusted in the tune.

What were the specs (pulley, cai?) when you hit 550 on the BBR tune? Did you dyno the VMP tune the same day?

The car was flat, weak, wouldn't turn the tires. 82mm pulley, jlt 123mm intake, corsa axelback with the bbr mail order tune. I didn't even bother loading the VMP tune on the dyno, it was that weak.

JerryC

Established Member
The car was flat, weak, wouldn't turn the tires. 82mm pulley, jlt 123mm intake, corsa axelback with the bbr mail order tune. I didn't even bother loading the VMP tune on the dyno, it was that weak.

Wow, I have the 82mm and no CAI, made 528. I wonder if he didn't factor in the CAI.

10secvette

Established Member
Wow, I have the 82mm and no CAI, made 528. I wonder if he didn't factor in the CAI.

I don't know, but after waiting 3 weeks for a simple tune, I asked him to just cancel the order and he miraculously finished it in a day.

It isn't like it was a difficult tune........ anyhow, like I said, $350 down the tubes. As I said, I was really looking forward to his tune, especially after driving the lame Roush tune for weeks. VMP flat out didn't deliver.

grnenvy

Established Member
lol

LOL 34 posts? If u didn't load the tune how do u know it was weak?
I have so many words to say but I will hold my tonge!
My car is so fast it's stupid scary sometimes! VMP tune.

10secvette

Established Member
LOL 34 posts? If u didn't load the tune how do u know it was weak?
I have so many words to say but I will hold my tonge!
My car is so fast it's stupid scary sometimes! VMP tune.

LOL, OMG I only have 34 posts. WTF could I know.......

What ever man, you're happy with your tune? Great! Mine was weak sause.

I responded to someone asking a question. I didn't come on hear flaming VMP.

JerryC

Established Member
When I got my setup from VMP there were directions to do a datalog and send it to him. Did you get those instruction, if so did you do that?

Man, I hate to hear you spent all that money to not be happy.

10secvette

Established Member
When I got my setup from VMP there were directions to do a datalog and send it to him. Did you get those instruction, if so did you do that?

Man, I hate to hear you spent all that money to not be happy.

Yes, as I said in an earlier post, datalog link didn't work.

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
Yes, as I said in an earlier post, datalog link didn't work.
So because it didn't work right away you disliked the tune? I understand that the datalog thing can be frustrating but that's why he and other tuners want it, to make sure that the required adjustments can be made. I know that Justin is super busy sometimes and to be honest, if I ever get the Roush kit I would get his tune no questions asked. I have a N/A tune from him right now in and I have a BBR as well and I definetely prefer the VMP one. You can tell the difference in attention to the tunes between tuners. Just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

JerryC

Established Member
JerryC,

How come you are not running a Dynospeed tune?

The VMP tune was part of the deal. Also, at the time Joe didnt have the "template" or whatever it is called for all of the tuning parameters for the Roush. He worked with Justin while it was up on the dyno to get it tuned. I think it was pretty close on the startup tune.

Since then I've had a couple of different tunes from Justin to fit my "old man" driving style to where my car has a little better throttle sensitivity than stock and the stock part throttle shift points. It drives like a slightly torquier all stock 5.0 until you get into the boost. The stock shift points are pulling down 1 - 2 more mpg as well.

10secvette

Established Member
So because it didn't work right away you disliked the tune? I understand that the datalog thing can be frustrating but that's why he and other tuners want it, to make sure that the required adjustments can be made. I know that Justin is super busy sometimes and to be honest, if I ever get the Roush kit I would get his tune no questions asked. I have a N/A tune from him right now in and I have a BBR as well and I definetely prefer the VMP one. You can tell the difference in attention to the tunes between tuners. Just my personal opinion.

The data logging file had nothing to do with the tune he sent me. The tune was weak as hell. It's that simple.

To be frank, the BBR tune was almost ideal out of the box. Damn close for a mail order tune. The tunes were so different it was scary. Maybe VMP screwed up, maybe not. Either way it doesn't matter now since the car is not runnning either of the mail order tunes today.

Last edited:

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
10secvette, I am sorry you were unhappy with my tune. If the issues had of been brought to my attention I would have addressed them. I make it aware to my customers up front that tunes may take a few weeks, that is the nature of the business when you order something custom. Datalogging can be crucial to making a safe and well performing tune. In many cases, I send the tunes out with reduced timing until I am supplied with datalogs by the customer. There are many intricacies to the SCT software. It is unfortunate the "datalogging link" did not work for you but that is something beyond my control, though I could have helped you with it. I am glad you have found a solution to get it running to your specs, even though its not my tune, or even BBRs.

We have had extremely good success with our own Roush supercharged 2011 5.0L Mustang, running the fastest times in the country with a stock engine/trans single power adder street car, 9.79 @ 138 mph. We also have many customers on the forums running solidly in the 10s with milder setups.

Users who are viewing this thread