Anyone get their paws on VMP 160 mono?

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I ordered Gen 3 with plan to upgrade from twin 67 to 160 mono. Still do not have my 160 as they had to "work out the bugs" on these. I am kind of nervous of being a beta tester, especially since they have had issues with the first run. Anyone running these in the wild? Any issues?

Willie

Established Member
Do you have any additional info on whether these issues are mechanical and / or tune related? Just curious...

Willie

Established Member
Take your OEM throttle stop screw, drill into the brass plug, use an easy-out to pull it out, thereby releasing the spring. Remove it, cut off "about" 1/4 of it, reinsert the remaining spring, then with a "dab of glue", push the brass center back in.

Does this work? Apparently not.....

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Perfect. Any recs on alternative TB for this application?

Willie

Established Member
Sorry, no. I've never been into VMP. Is the bolt spacing on this TB unique to their elbow?

Just curious how much this and their 173 TB flows though... like to see how it stacks up to mine...

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry, no. I've never been into VMP. Is the bolt spacing on this TB unique to their elbow?

Just curious how much this and their 173 TB flows though... like to see how it stacks up to mine...

I believe so although you can get adaptors.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Run one of the big Whipple mono's with an adapter. Not ideal, i know, but they flow a TON of air and are very steetable.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I ordered Gen 3 with plan to upgrade from twin 67 to 160 mono. Still do not have my 160 as they had to "work out the bugs" on these. I am kind of nervous of being a beta tester, especially since they have had issues with the first run. Anyone running these in the wild? Any issues?
Any reason to upgrade the TB? How much power and boost do you plan to run?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
My friend has a Gen 3 blown Coyote car in my garage. I've played with and taken measurements from the VMP 160. His car maxes or will max out this blower yet VMP wouldn't give him a 173 TB.
The VMP Gen 3 TVS2650 does have a unique bolt pattern only for their 160/173 TBs.
Car made good power with the 160 but charts we've seen direct from VMP show the 160 is outflowed by other offerings, specifically the Whipple 170 and KB168.
I currently run a 170 big Whipple and he made an adapter to run my KB168. No data from the track or dyno, but the plan is to get consistent times with the VMP 160 then swap on the adapter/KB168 to see the gains.
He has not had any issues in his Coyote/6R car with the 160.
-J

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
My friend has a Gen 3 blown Coyote car in my garage. I've played with and taken measurements from the VMP 160. His car maxes or will max out this blower yet VMP wouldn't give him a 173 TB.
The VMP Gen 3 TVS2650 does have a unique bolt pattern only for their 160/173 TBs.
Car made good power with the 160 but charts we've seen direct from VMP show the 160 is outflowed by other offerings, specifically the Whipple 170 and KB168.
I currently run a 170 big Whipple and he made an adapter to run my KB168. No data from the track or dyno, but the plan is to get consistent times with the VMP 160 then swap on the adapter/KB168 to see the gains.
He has not had any issues in his Coyote/6R car with the 160.
-J

I do know they make an adapter so that you can run twin 67 on gen 3. Do you know if this can be used on whipple 170?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I do know they make an adapter so that you can run twin 67 on gen 3. Do you know if this can be used on whipple 170?

Should be same pattern, yes.

I had the dual bore 68mm whipple on my GT500 and loved it. Probably drove better than stock. Was amazing.

I’ve heard nothing but great reviews on their mono 170.

I like that you can get them anodized black too.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
My friend made a custom adapter from Gen 3 to KB168.
I have no issues with my Whipple 170.
I should clarify, the TB data I saw wasn't flow data but surface area of various TBs. The 173 is at or near the top, the 2650 rotor pack wants as much air as possible.
-J

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
With the wait time we experienced before the 2650 came to market, you would think they had these monos figured out before now. Let's hope these don't suffer the same fate as their 72mm twin.

Users who are viewing this thread