Anyone ever track down "lost money" being held by the state?

Kevins89notch

Established Member
There's several sites like missingmoney.com or so. Basically, stuff happens, someone owes you money, they can't find you and they give it to the state who does nothing but sits on it. Ex: You move out of an apartment, and cancel your cable. They issued you a refund for half a money, but you left no forwarding address, so the cable company just gives it to your state.

Years back, I search my families name, and my great grandpa turned up, a man long dead before I was born. It said a value $250+. Hmmm, $500? $5,000? $15,000? I told my grandpa and he insists after several months of letters back and forth, they won't give him the money because there was no will.

This has sort of bugged me for years, so I've finally started the process again. Grandpa is getting old at 93. It will be 10 times easier to do this now than later if he passes. I figure I can do 99% of the work, and he just signs for the money.

1. I filed a claim to the funds, and the state of KY sent me the forms. Problem 1, it's forms that have to be notarized and now it has the wrong name/address on them. I can get new forms, so no big deal. Cool thing, I now know the amount, just under $3,000.

2. I called up KY and spoke to a super awesome worker in that department about the how/what/etc. She talked me through some things. Yes he was married, yes he died first, my grandpa is the oldest and only surviving child, and there's no will. So there's actually 3 claims, a life insurance policy, stocks, and dividends. For the life insurance, I need to first know if there were beneficiaries listed.

3. I call up the insurance company. They suggest I email them. I email them. They reply saying it has to be a hand written request. WTF? I write up a letter, and fax it to them. I email asked if I will get a response via fax, email, or USPS? They said email since that it what I requested. It will take 5-10 business days. 11 business days later I get a call saying they need to know his DOB. I call them back with that 5 minutes later and they say they will send me the info I requested via USPS.

4. I get the information. The policy has a beneficiary, but policy was turned over to the state because it hit its max age.

5. Now I have to file a "petition to dispense with administration" in the county court of where my great grandpa lived. Seems to be doable without a court hearing, and costs $75, but I need some legal help(more like a signature on the form). Luckily my mom's cousin (via my grandpa's side) is a lawyer and lives within 30 minutes of there. I don't know the him, but I've met him a time or two. Time to email him for help.

I think I know why my Grandpa just gave up on this when the asked for a will, and he said one never existed. LOL

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Trying to get your family money, that the State is holding, is like trying to get your dog to give up that T-Bone steak in his mouth. Good luck as you proceed.

So far not too bad. I just look at it as baby steps in a multi month process. I knew it won't be ask, and given. So like the insurance company taking from August 24th, till Sept 15th to get my the paperwork... 3 week or just waiting, but one step closer.

I haven't been told yet, but I'm factoring in probably needed to order my GGF's death cert, plus his wives, plus my GF's birth cert. Again, not hard, but will take a week or three.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Yes. One time in PA I located around 200 bucks for a friend and another time in Florida for my deceased grandma who was owed 1500 bucks from MetLife which went to her daughter(my mother).

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm not at all surprised that you've encountered numerous stumbling block. And I understand some of the requirements. But dang, the state makes getting answers/results more difficult than it has to/should be. The federal government is even worse.

I hope as you press forward that you'll see success at the end of the journey.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Cool, I just looked
It up and it seems an Insurance company owes my deceased grandfather money. He and I have the same name.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
A couple years ago I discovered through unclaimed.org that the state had $400+ in my name. Nice little windfall. Took several weeks to get it but it was pretty easy. Just had to prove my identity really.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Part of my sister's job is to find assets that belong to clients estates. She told me once my name was on a state list. I checked into it, and was way too much hassel to get back the $17 I left in a bank account when we moved to Pa. when I was 12.

ssssnake

Established Member
I found some money on an insurance payment for my husband. He was diseased, and they wanted a certified copy of the will. It would have cost more to get a certified copy than the amount of money I was trying to get. I called them, and they let it slide since I had everything else. I also found some money for my dad. I did all the work, then he gave me the money. Win!

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Part of my sister's job is to find assets that belong to clients estates. She told me once my name was on a state list. I checked into it, and was way too much hassel to get back the $17 I left in a bank account when we moved to Pa. when I was 12.
@BrunotheBoxer knows how to put that $17 to good use.

My94GT

Established Member
Did a search and came up with a less then 100. Doubt it would be worth the time to even pursue but maybe I’ll try when I’m slow at work one day

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I think it's actually youtube.

I had a video that got like 15k views some years back.

Good call. Youtube recently dropped a LOT of folks including me, so I will no longer make money but I just checked and I have $79.XX sitting in my account. I might as well request that now as it will never increase.

Did a search and came up with a less then 100. Doubt it would be worth the time to even pursue but maybe I’ll try when I’m slow at work one day

Most likely you fill in the boxes at the state level and they mail you an official form. That will probably need something like a copy of your driver's license and/or your signature on the forms to be notarized which a lot of banks can do for free. So no more than 15 minutes work and you get some free lunch money.

Users who are viewing this thread