Anyone ever sue a mechanic?

TwistedMetal01

Established Member
Has anyone here ever sued a mechanic? I would appreciate any advice you have. I brought my car to a transmission shop they recommended i get a brand new transmission and clutch. So I got what they recommended it cost me $3,300 total for parts and labor.

Its supposedly a tko 600 with a centerforce clutch. So i got the car back and its grinding 2nd gear bad. So i take it back and they said its a bad trans. I pick it up again 2 weeks later now this time its grinding in 4th gear sometime 1st gear too.

So now i just dropped it off again for the third time and I have a bad feeling next time I pick it up its gonna be grinding the gears again. Im tired of playing these games they have had my car for 1 month and they cant get it right. They keep telling me its fixed but its not.

I think I should go to court to try to get my money back but ive never done that before.

I would appreciate any legal advice or opinions.

usmc320

Established Member
It sounds like they are trying to make it right. They take the car back and work on it every time you complain.

MachJoe

Established Member
It sounds like they are trying to make it right. They take the car back and work on it every time you complain.

+1. If they were charging you more money or not taking it back then I'd say fight for your money back. But since they're taking it back and working on it, then I don't think you can do anything about that.

MysticRob

Established Member
The shop personnel are obviously incompetent, and quite possibly lying. Apparently they've never heard of a test-drive prior to customer pick up either. I would have them prove to you visually exactly which transmission and clutch now resides in that car before they do any further work.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Just make 100% sure you document in writing every single conversation and event. If you do take them to court your journal will be worth it's weight in gold. Small claims court will be your best course, you can represent yourself if you have a solid argument, lawyers will cost you more than the value of the transmission.

DaleM

Sebring SVTOA
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I would not have taken the car to anyone in Clarksville.

I had a good experience with an import shop up past the Cumberland river turn, going past the Chrysler Dealership up the hill, it is on the left after a few miles.

they installed my intercooler without any issues and had some serious builds inside the shop.

oldmodman

Established Member
They must not be installing a brand new transmission from Tremec.

I might believe ONE bad brand new transmission, but two in a row:nonono:

If their third try is absolutely perfect keep it and never go back. But if there is anything wrong with it cancel your credit card charge. You didn't pay them with cash or a check, DID YOU!

jrandy

Established Member
That still doesn't make it acceptable. It shouldn't take 3 times to fix something if you know what you're doing. It should only take once.

+1

Time is a very valuable thing. You shouldn't have to expect the car to be down three times as long for the same repair.

It is refreshing to hear that the shop is (somewhat) taking care of you though. I hear too many stories about shops that will turn their back and claim it's an issue on your end.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Where did you take it? I lived in Clarksville for 20+ years. I can't think of any tranny shops around there I'd take my car to.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

TwistedMetal01

Established Member

I just talked to the owner on the phone he said this is the last time they are going to work on my car. He said this is going to be the 3rd time they put a transmission in my car and its the last time. But I have a bad feeling I am going to get it back and its still going to be grinding gears again.

Maybe the clutch adjustment is wrong or they are lying about the transmission they are putting in my car? I don't know what the problem is. Maybe its not their fault maybe the transmission they are putting in my car is garbage They say its a TKO 600 but maybe its not?

He said I'm abusing my car but I have been granny shifting to break in the new clutch and transmission. I said I was shifting between 2,000 RPM and 3,000 RPM and he said I'm lying because I was "abusing it and power shifting it"

TwistedMetal01

Established Member
Where did you take it? I lived in Clarksville for 20+ years. I can't think of any tranny shops around there I'd take my car to.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

I don't want to say the name of the place because they are still trying to fix my car. But when I get my car back if its still grinding gears I will say the name of the business. I have a bad feeling when I get my car back its still going to have the same problem I don't know what to do.

mnewxcv

Established Member
He said I'm abusing my car but I have been granny shifting to break in the new clutch and transmission. I said I was shifting between 2,000 RPM and 3,000 RPM and he said I'm lying because I was "abusing it and power shifting it"

him calling you a liar is only going to make this interaction go south...

TwistedMetal01

Established Member
I would not have taken the car to anyone in Clarksville.

I went to this place because I have 2 friends that recommended this business. My friends said they did a good job they were very happy. But what I didn't think about was my 2 friends have automatic transmissions and I have a manual. Maybe they are good at installing an automatic but they don't know how to adjust a clutch or properly install a clutch. I should have thought about that before I went there.

shad2009

Tungsten GT
Established Member
him calling you a liar is only going to make this interaction go south...

this...his comments make me think he's lying about something...how would he know how you're shifting and he's not there...have they told you they've test driven the car? (most likely they drive out of the bay and park it) after they put the new one in, i'd have the tech drive with you in the car, then you drive with the tech...hell, or even the owner since he wants to accuse you of lying

MysticRob

Established Member
I went to this place because I have 2 friends that recommended this business. My friends said they did a good job they were very happy. But what I didn't think about was my 2 friends have automatic transmissions and I have a manual. Maybe they are good at installing an automatic but they don't know how to adjust a clutch or properly install a clutch. I should have thought about that before I went there.

OP, again, do NOT take their word for it that they're doing things correctly, or that they even have the correct transmission. Go into this last battle with the attitude of making them prove to you that everything is as it should be, and that's it's not your fault.

Thus far there's either bad parts, or bad work, or both on their side, so make them understand you're angry this is now the 3rd time you've brought it to them. Do NOT go into this sheepish or they will take advantage of you, which to me is already happening, hence the fact the owner already dropped the "you're abusing it" statement. I'd be more pissed about that statement than the fact the tranny isn't working after bringing it in the 2nd time!! :cuss:

TwistedMetal01

Established Member
this...his comments make me think he's lying about something...how would he know how you're shifting and he's not there...have they told you they've test driven the car? (most likely they drive out of the bay and park it) after they put the new one in, i'd have the tech drive with you in the car, then you drive with the tech...hell, or even the owner since he wants to accuse you of lying

I asked him if he test drive it he said yes. So I asked how far do they test drive it how many miles? He was vague and didn't answer the question. I think next time when I pick it up I should ask him to drive it around while I sit in the passenger seat so when the gears grind he can't blame me for anything I did because I didn't touch the car. But he would probably say he can't drive it because hes too busy and doesn't have enough time because I've already wasted 1 month of his time.

Users who are viewing this thread