Anyone Ever Run Into This Problem !!!

taylormaderascoe

i recently purchased a termi and i drove it the other day for before winter really hits and on the highway while getting on it during high rpms (getting on it) i notice a mist coming from the cowl im almost certain its antifreeze but from where ? the supercharger tank ? please answer

01yellercobra

Established Member
Make sure the radiator and intercooler tank caps are tight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Everyone is so fast to point to a head gasket which most of the time, it is not.

First you need to see which coolant tank it sprayed out of. If it came out of the supercharger tank it could be a few things. Since it is winter where you are. Depending on the coolant mixture, if it froze, it is possible you cracked your intercooler. Or, the o rings from the coolant tubes going into the intercooler are leaking and will pressurize the supercharger cooling system.

If it is coming out of the engine coolant tank. You could have a non properly bled system, but most likely not the issue unless the system was just opened up. The most common issue is the Oil cooler. A few things can happen here. The threaded portion where the oil filter screws onto loosens up. This creates an internal leak inside of the cooler and will start to slowly push oil into the cooling system and cause coolant to blow out of the cap. Or the internal oil cooler O rings are just bad and leaking. Or the gasket on the cooler adapter to block is deteriorated causing oil to transfer into the coolant system and will push coolant past the cap.

Lastly, is this an untouched longblock or has it been apart before? Worst case scenario, the block is cracked.....

I have seen many many of these engines misdiagnosed over the years as headgaskets and it ended up being the oilcooler or a cracked block.

You need to start diagnosing it properly before jumping to conclusions.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
First thing I would do is check the intercooler pump and make sure it is working. You should see fluid moving in the degas bottle like a mini washing machine. If fluid is circulating, you might want to replace the cap. Also, might need to burp the system.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Juiced is 100% correct. When I lifted a head, the coolant didn't stop spraying and it hated me. If it just needs burped, it will act similarly, but not as badly. Good luck!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Definitely follow Dave's (Juiced46) diagnosis advice. And take your time doing it. Enlist the help of someone local to you, if needed, to help with the diagnosis. Worse thing to do at this point is rush to a conclusion. By the way, Dave has a ton of experience with the '03-'04 Cobra, along with other vehicles. If you were local to us, I'd strongly suggest you set up a service visit with him.

big dad

Established Member
Juiced gave you some good advise and I would like to add to pressure check the cooling systems of the engine and the intercooler, especially the caps. If you have the original pressure caps they are notorious for not holding pressure, especially after many heat cycles. The replacement caps have a larger spring to maintain the correct pressure.

Look on the underside of the cap and in the middle you'll see the spring which I'm referring to. The replacement cap has a much larger spring so it doesn't loose tension after repeated heat cycles and will therefore keep the system and the caps prescribed pressure rating.

Start with the basic checks first before you go into a tailspin. Good luck.

rymax101

Established Member
Mine would do the same under hard acceleration with made good boost.
Mine problem was the orings on the coolant tube. Only took a couple hours to fix and like 5 dollars in orings.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

taylormaderascoe

how ironic you are from the same state and bout 20 minutes from me i got a job for you hahaha shoot me your numbee

Everyone is so fast to point to a head gasket which most of the time, it is not.

First you need to see which coolant tank it sprayed out of. If it came out of the supercharger tank it could be a few things. Since it is winter where you are. Depending on the coolant mixture, if it froze, it is possible you cracked your intercooler. Or, the o rings from the coolant tubes going into the intercooler are leaking and will pressurize the supercharger cooling system.

If it is coming out of the engine coolant tank. You could have a non properly bled system, but most likely not the issue unless the system was just opened up. The most common issue is the Oil cooler. A few things can happen here. The threaded portion where the oil filter screws onto loosens up. This creates an internal leak inside of the cooler and will start to slowly push oil into the cooling system and cause coolant to blow out of the cap. Or the internal oil cooler O rings are just bad and leaking. Or the gasket on the cooler adapter to block is deteriorated causing oil to transfer into the coolant system and will push coolant past the cap.

Lastly, is this an untouched longblock or has it been apart before? Worst case scenario, the block is cracked.....

I have seen many many of these engines misdiagnosed over the years as headgaskets and it ended up being the oilcooler or a cracked block.

You need to start diagnosing it properly before jumping to conclusions.

taylormaderascoe

thanks for the info everyone i met juiced46 today and brought my car to his shop he is currently putting a RTX clutch in the car (it let go on me) lol and he is going to fix the problem ill keep updating as he will be doing all the work on the car

Attachments

• IMG_4930.JPG
    IMG_4930.JPG
    654.3 KB · Views: 124

Users who are viewing this thread