Anyone ever purchase a vintage Bug?

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
Looking for a unique weekender. Nothing fancy or super flashy, just something me and the hipster lady friend can enjoy.

What do I normally look for?
Which parts generally are in need of inspection?
Are they reliable?

prostkr

Established Member
Biggest thing to watch out for is rust (underneath and in the floor pans). Make sure your test drive also includes driving it at a steady speed around 45 mph. The front ends tend to wear out rather quickly and they start to shake and shimmy. Everything else can be had cheap. They are also cheap and easy to work on and maintain. They are also pretty reliable when fixed up and cared for. My brother just bought a vw bus and is redoing it for his wife.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Looking for a unique weekender. Nothing fancy or super flashy, just something me and the hipster lady friend can enjoy.

What do I normally look for?
Which parts generally are in need of inspection?
Are they reliable?

Don't do it.... If you want something vintage you could at least get something worth a shit like classic American muscle.

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
Just talked to a buddy of mine with a '70 baja, says watchout for rust on the floors and in the coolant channels.

As for me, I've got a classic Mini Cooper, runs great, reliable, love it. Just little things here and then that are just payback for me not proberly PM'ing

MinGry03

SVT Guy
Established Member
I had a 68 VW Bug automatic stick shift. This thing was all original down to the hub caps. Some of the main rust / rot areas that I encountered were:

1. Spare tire well.
2. Front / Rear inner fender well.
3. Cooling / Heating ducts.
4. Front axel assembly.

Other than that, I miss my bug. If I had more garage space, I would get another one. :beer:

qwikhuh

Established Member
I have had a few over the years and they are fun cars to own and probably the easiest car out there to restore/work on. Like everyone else me mentioned look for rust in the heater channels and front axle area but both can be repaired if you know how to weld. You can build a whole car out of a catalog. The early ones are the most desirable but run on 6 volt electrical systems so keep that in mind.

gregorio

Established Member
OP i bought a 71 super beetle a few months ago, worked on it and now I'm selling. pm me.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Haha just sold my 71 super yesterday. Heater channel areas and floorpans for rust. Really simple though and parts are dirt cheap. If you pick up a super make sure it doesn't have the shimmies or you'll be dropping a small coin on suspension.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

GodStang

Established Member
We restore all typese of VW. My first car was a 73 Super Convertible and we are currently restoring a 73/71 Karmann Gia Convertible. Great cars easy to work on.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
Don't do it.... If you want something vintage you could at least get something worth a shit like classic American muscle.

I'm sure I would've titled the thread differently if I were looking for something "worth a shit".....not looking for a money pit, nor am I looking for something loud and obnoxious.

Sagittaria

Established Member
Super beetles is where it's at. I love my 1972 Super when I had it. It has it's problems but it was a fun vehicle to work on for cheap... I had it when I was in HS... oh man those were some fun times. The electrics caught fire one time underneath the steering wheel (my fault)... thottle cable goes out a lot. But I'm actually thinking about getting another one as a DD instead of the cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread