Anyone ever been to New Zealand? Need tips

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Going to New Zealand in January for two weeks. Gonna spend a week in both islands. There is so much to see that I am torn what route to take. Hoping someone has been before and can offer some tips on what to see. Thanks ahead of time.

tistan

Established Member
I have a friend that goes for 6 weeks every year. Apparently the fishing there is amazing. He always has pics from both saltwater and fresh. It is on my to do list when I get time.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Nope, but I hope to take a Nordhavn there some day.

Had to look that up. That would be definitely preferred over the long flight. We fly out at 4pm on a Sunday, and arrive at 2pm on a Tuesday. lol. Talk about a lot of travel time.

I have a friend that goes for 6 weeks every year. Apparently the fishing there is amazing. He always has pics from both saltwater and fresh. It is on my to do list when I get time.

Its been on my list since growing up. My grandfather lived there for two years when he was hired by the government to conduct a soil survey. I never met my grandfather, but my father tells me that even in two years the beauty amazed him every single day. I figured now that my wife and I are making money, don't have any debt, and no kids, now is the time to visit. Total the two week trip for two will come in right around $13,000 when everything is done. We are doing a lot of mini-trips and tours though which add up fast. Which tours is what we are trying to decide right now. I literally do not know a single person who has ever visited.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Just spend a 100X more an you could have a good sized used Nordhavn for the trip, just say'n. (Fuel not included).

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
This is our rough draft so far.

Day 1- Travel
Day 2- Travel
Day 3- Arrive in Queenstown, NZ; Spend day relaxing and adjusting to time change. Eat a fergburger.
Day 4- Booked a 8 hour wine tour around South Otago Wine Country
Day 5- Booked a plane tour over Milford Sound which includes 2 hour cruise in Fjords. Drive to Lake Taupo at night to few stars in Macenzie Dark Sky Reserve.
Day 6- Drive to Kaikoura and eat dinner on ocean
Day 7- Swim with dolphin cruise in Kaikoura. Spend night in Kaikoura.
Day 8- Drive to Abel Tasman National Park. Stay in Nelson, NZ.
Day 9- Take water taxi to Anchorage Bay; snorkel & hike in jungle. Return to Nelson
Day 10- Take Ferry across to North Island. Stay in Wellington, NZ.
Day 11- Drive to Tongariro National Park
Day 12-Hike to top of Mount Doom from LOTR (Tongariro Alpine Crossing)
Day 13- Visit Waitomo Glow Worm Caves; Drive to Whakatane.
Day 14-Take White Island Volcano cruise. Explore abandoned island that is active volcano. Drive into Auckland that night
Day 15- Fly out & arrive back home.
Day

CCS_56_EX

Established Member
I did a similar itinerary to yours. Ferburger is solid. In Queenstown, check out the Nevis bungee, it's awesome. It's also a big party town, so go out to the bars. Milford Sound is sweet, but there are flies that draw blood on land. Wear long sleeves and pants. Tongariro is THE most amazing hike ever! Volcanoes, green lakes, meadows, and it ends in a rain forest. Mount Ngauruhoe is a difficult climb. It's three hours of climbing in shin deep scree and volcanic ash. One step forward, slide half a step back. Poles and gaiters would help greatly. I wore a pair of sneakers and that climb destroyed them. Do not go out drinking the night before. The Waitomo glow worms were cool, but it's a quicky stop. You're going to have a great trip!

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Are the glow worms worth a visit? Ive been heavily debating on it. A lot of reviews said they were cool for 5 minutes, then boring.

Additionally, I really really wanted to climb Mount Taranaki. I figured I can only choose either that or Tongariro Alpine Crossing. You think it would be possible to do them in back to back days? Or will our legs be destroyed? They both look so awesome ahhh! lol hard to decide

Last edited:

CCS_56_EX

Established Member
The glow worms are worth it if you're in the area, but yeah it's not a lot of entertainment.

Yes you can do Nguarugoe and the crossing in the same day. Make sure to take the earliest bus to start. If you were spending more than 2 weeks, I'd recommend splitting up the days because your legs will be trashed and its a little hard to enjoy the rainforest. But you'll be fine if you are just prepared for a hard day. The climb and hike are epic! Post pictures!

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
We just got back from the south island and since it was winter there the roads were wide open . We spent 7 days driving a "campervan" and loved every minute of it. The campervan is the way to go in my opinion because daylight does not dictate your day as much. When we went to Milford it was raining and the place was so cool with all the waterfalls but we wanted to see it in the sunshine so we decided to camp on the other side of the tunnel and go back the next day.
I would go back tomorrow. Enjoy your trip!!

XtraTQ

Established Member
I did a glow worm tour in Australia. I probably wouldn't spend the time to do it again.

Definitely report back on your experience OP. The people in that country, are reputed as being some of the most 'civilized' people on earth.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
We just got back from the south island and since it was winter there the roads were wide open . We spent 7 days driving a "campervan" and loved every minute of it. The campervan is the way to go in my opinion because daylight does not dictate your day as much. When we went to Milford it was raining and the place was so cool with all the waterfalls but we wanted to see it in the sunshine so we decided to camp on the other side of the tunnel and go back the next day.
I would go back tomorrow. Enjoy your trip!!

That sounds awesome. We thought about campervan, but eventually decided we were concerned about driving a big ass van on the opposite side of the road. Lol. Sticking to hotels which arent that expensive. Even in queenstown, we were able to find something nice for $200 a night. Also, we didnt want to have to deal with taking a camper onto the ferry.

Definitely report back on your experience OP. The people in that country, are reputed as being some of the most 'civilized' people on earth.

I will definitely post pictures. Like I said, I am beyond excited for this trip. That is why I can sleep okay spending so much money on a vacation because I realize this is literally a once in a lifetime trip. Unless I like it so much I want to spend the $2800 per plane ticket to go back over. Which is unlikely because there's so many other places I need to go first before I start revisiting countries.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I was just like you, concerned about the size of the vehicle and being on the wrong side of the road, but after 1 day i was very comfortable and it really does open up your options. I had more trouble crossing the road than i did driving. You have to remember which way to look before taking a step out into traffic because it comes from the other way. They have free camping everywhere and it is super safe, we picked up a hitch hiker the first day and he rode with us the rest of the week. Never would have done that here in the states.
Don't forget the exchange rate from our dollar to theirs. Things like food and drinks are still expensive but the 30 some odd percent does help.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Booked our rental cars. Were rocking a Ford Falcon on South Island and Holden Commodore on North Island. Pumped!

LD5050

37OH55V
Established Member
If you end up loving it enough to consider relocating there, be aware of Tall Poppy Syndrome.
Sounds stupid, but it's unfortunately a reality for expats in NZ.

Users who are viewing this thread