Anyone ever almost die?

.....A.....

Established Member
Due to a recent accident of mine I decided to see if anyone has almost died or had a bad accident. I will start with my story.

May 19th 2012: I was riding quads and dirt bikes with some of my friends, as we were going down a dirt road my one friend did a wheelie on his dirt bike. During the wheelie the bike kicked out and he hit a fence post head first (he was not wearing a helmet).

I quickly pulled up to him jumped off of my quad and saw he was bleeding pretty badly from his face. I put him on the back of my quad and we left to go back to his house, which is where we were riding.

In order to get back to his house we had to go on the main road, I had forgot that there was a sharp turn in the road and ended up taking it too fast. that was the last thing i remembered.

It ended up that with the speed we were traveling and the extra weight on the quad i failed to make the turn and we both were thrown from the quad. I hit a tree head first luckily i was wearing a helmet. I was taken to our local hospital and then i was life flighted to another hospital in critical condition. Then i was taken to the Presbyterian hospital in Pittsburgh after i was taken out of the ICU. I had several doctors tell me that they had no idea how I was alive, and that people should be viewing me in a funeral home not a hospital bed. If you have never had that happen it is one of the scariest things I have ever heard.

END RESULT: My friend suffered a broken nose and some scratches. I on the other hand wasn't so lucky. As i sit here typing this i have a skull that is fractured in 3 places, the nerves that control the right side of my face do not work thus my face on the right side doesn't work, I was bleeding from my ears, I was throwing up blood, I damaged my left eye, Also i had many cuts and bruises.

So now have you had anything similar or worse that you would like to share?

UncleDan

Established Member
A friend of our family was actually pronounced dead after a bad accident at work.

He came back to life but lost his vison, sense of smell, and tase. He also said that he met God, and was given a choice to either stay in Heaven or go back. He thought about his family and chose to come back.

He's a great guy and doing well now. Despite being completely blind, he owns his own Top Alcohol drag racing team.

Misquamarauder

Established Member
May 21, 2010 I had a heart attack. I have some EMS background, so I knew what was up. Had a long ride to the hospital (Ambulance folks made the right choice). After my 3rd hit of Nitro with no benefit, I started making my peace with the Lord. Got to the ER, no waiting, and the Dr. put a tube in my grion into my heart. He looked around and put in a stent. He asked if I felt better. I replied a little, He said not totally? He put another in, and it was instant relief. 2 days later, he put in 2 more. I felt (and feel) like I did in my early 30's again.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I don't have a story of my own to share although I've seen a few of them. Do me a favor. Learn basic emergency medical techniques. Picking your friend up and "throwing him on your quad" was a bad idea before you ever hit the tree. Hopefully there is no next time but if there is, call EMS and don't move the victim except in the case of immediate threat to life. (I.E. obvious impending death from aspirating blood/vomit, approaching fire, etc.) Proper cervical spine stabilization is paramount in the case of trauma such as this. I know you were trying to do what you thought was best so I'm not jabbing at you. Just letting you know there are serious and permanently debilitating potential effects associated with moving a trauma patient without proper c-spine stabilization.
Best of luck on your recovery. Do they anticipate you will regain nerve control in your face? Suck to be a twenty something year old and look like you had a stroke.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
ive blacked out. never near death tho. i was stabbed once in the line of duty, but that just pissed me off.

mustangless

Established Member
Not too much detail, but when I was in my teens, I took a bike down a hill. Don't remember but like 5 minutes before it and days/weeks later. I have been told by witnesses that I went over the handlebars and landed bad. Some broken things and a head injury, but somehow I lived.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
August 2009 got too sick to work any more and had to quit my parts job.
October 10 2009 had liver transplant after nearly 2 weeks on life support.

No memories of life support but lots of memories of esophageal bleeds, transfusions, testing upon testing, weeks and weeks of hospital life and food ugh :nonono:, and kooky altered perceptions from blood poisons in my brain because of not effectively removed by a failing liver.

Even after the transplant, I had ICU psychosis and difficulty figuring out what was real and what was not for about a week.

Today, back at work with the best job ever, walked almost 2 miles around the property during lunch.

It's good to be alive.:thumbsup:

oldmodman

Established Member
I was out taking a walk when I had my first heart attack.

Fell down landing on my chest and that's what the doctors think restarted my heart. The shock of my chest hitting the sidewalk. Woke up on my own. Don't know how long I was down. No tunnel, bright lights, and of course, no seeing God. Over the next 20 years I have had two more heart attacks but they were "minor" Each time I get another Thallium scan and there is more dead heart muscle.

I figure I've got two or three more to go. Then it's permanent :sleeping:

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
No helmet over the handlebars headfirst at 45mph headfirst into concrete.

135mph bounced off a guardrail 7 times

Died when I was 8...came back that sort of deal

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
When I was an infant, 2 months old, I was admitted into Texas Children's Hosptial in Houston. One day, as my parents were in the room with me, I became unresponsive, my entire body turned blue, then gray, and then I my heart stopped for a few seconds. I ended up coming back into things (of course I have no memory of this).

Dr.s told my parents not to really expect much out of me, tough time walking, etc. I ended up being able to run by like 7-8 months old, and graduated high shool top 10% while being active in multiple sports and marching band.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
nope however i did see a dead guy on access road laid out as i passed by last week, gave me chills when i saw his feet sticking out of covering they put on him. he was on a bicycle and got hit by a truck....took forever to get them to do the scene, turns out they were using new equipment to do scenes so it took forever,....sucks i thought i was having a bad monday

Riptide

Established Member
Went off I90 going about 75. Cloudburst, hydroplaned. Van spun like a top across the median and over the two oncoming lanes into the ditch. The ground was so wet the van never rolled just kept spinning. No traffic was coming on the other side so nobody hit me.

Not a scratch on the van. Lucked out bigggg time. If an 18 wheeler had been coming and hit me it would've been lights out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

king nothing

Established Member
Had a jackstand give out and drop my 79 bronco on me. I was laying in the little cubby between the rear tire, the rear axle, and the gas tank. 6 inches in any direction and i would have been pinned at best, crushed at worst. Ended up with a broken wrist and 20 plus stitches in my hand

MrWesson22

Established Member
My vehicle ran over a double-stacked anti-tank mine set off by a pressure plate in Afghanistan. I was in the gunner's turret. I'm about to be medically retired due to injuries sustained, but I was lucky enough to walk away. Fortunately, I was in an MRAP. If I'd been in a HMMVV, there would have been nothing of it left.

Edit: Oh, and many close calls with being shot at, but that's par for the course.

Last edited:

phillycobra99

Established Member
I don't have a story of my own to share although I've seen a few of them. Do me a favor. Learn basic emergency medical techniques. Picking your friend up and "throwing him on your quad" was a bad idea before you ever hit the tree. Hopefully there is no next time but if there is, call EMS and don't move the victim except in the case of immediate threat to life. (I.E. obvious impending death from aspirating blood/vomit, approaching fire, etc.) Proper cervical spine stabilization is paramount in the case of trauma such as this. I know you were trying to do what you thought was best so I'm not jabbing at you. Just letting you know there are serious and permanently debilitating potential effects associated with moving a trauma patient without proper c-spine stabilization.
Best of luck on your recovery. Do they anticipate you will regain nerve control in your face? Suck to be a twenty something year old and look like you had a stroke.

I have to disagree. I'm assuming you have an EMS background, as do I. You and I both know most EMS personnel don't properly take C-spine precautions. IE: Just placing a collar on someone instead of also taking manual stabilization or putting the backboard against someones rear in a MVA instead of using a KED.

Also if you research immoblization, the problems associated with it vs. the actual cases of paralaysis prevented with immoblization, the numbers are staggering.

I do however agree if your gonna call 911 for a medical call, leave the person in place unless a immediate life threat is present.

Users who are viewing this thread