Anyone else worried about E85 prices and the drought?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
just got back from filling up....$3.09 today (ya, i drove the hell out of it the past 5 days...die hard GM lovin brother in law came down this weekend from houston and lets say he was mildly impressed LOL). so it's up 40 cents in a short period.

other thing of note was this is the lowest ethanol content I've tested since switching in june. The summitt tester showed E81 :uh oh:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Did you test to the meniscus?

I have tested a few times and got two different results because I did not add enough distiller water.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Did you test to the meniscus?

I have tested a few times and got two different results because I did not add enough distiller water.

I thought I did, Kevin. I'm pretty careful. I usually fill up to the water line here at home before I leave. But I have been using tap water... Didn't realize it needed distilled?

Other thing is the increment label might be getting loose, probably because some e85 has ran down the side. I wish there was a more permanent way to mark the tube. I'll check everything out, make sure the label hasn't creased any, fill with distilled this time and run back by the pump this weekend for a quick re-test. Car is running as awesome as ever, wideband looks great wot... so apparently no ill effects. probably just user error on the test :beer:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I never read anything saying to use distilled water when testing.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I thought I did, Kevin. I'm pretty careful. I usually fill up to the water line here at home before I leave. But I have been using tap water... Didn't realize it needed distilled?

Other thing is the increment label might be getting loose, probably because some e85 has ran down the side. I wish there was a more permanent way to mark the tube. I'll check everything out, make sure the label hasn't creased any, fill with distilled this time and run back by the pump this weekend for a quick re-test. Car is running as awesome as ever, wideband looks great wot... so apparently no ill effects. probably just user error on the test :beer:
Good to hear Jeff! Even if it is off by up to 10% the car should run just fine on the same tune. No big deal really at 81%.

I never read anything saying to use distilled water when testing.
Distilled water would be best due to possible secondary bonds to the hydrocarbons- if the bond is strong enough it might not be enough for the last % to release and go with the water- at least that would be my theory.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Good to hear Jeff! Even if it is off by up to 10% the car should run just fine on the same tune. No big deal really at 81%.

Distilled water would be best due to possible secondary bonds to the hydrocarbons- if the bond is strong enough it might not be enough for the last % to release and go with the water- at least that would be my theory.

ok thats great, Kevin. Thx! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread