Anyone else worried about E85 prices and the drought?

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Corn futures are sky rocketing, cant imagine what this is going to do to e85 for this fall and next season.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
from what I understand the corn used for Ethanol is not the same corn that is commonly quoted in the media, second, since the subsidy ended in 2012 so did the import tariffs, so imported Ethanol (made from other than corn) can help keep prices in line.

Jumped 40 cents in 10 -12 days by me.

how does that compare to gasoline prices?

I know down state the prices both moved up about $.40-.50 cents in the last three weeks.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
e85 is processed mostly from feed corn, after is is processed and the alcohol removed, the corn is then returned and used as feed corn.

realistically, it shouldnt change prices a whole ton....but of course, like any fuel, they use whatever excuse to jack the price up.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
When whole fields are dying it doesn't matter if it is feed corn or any other type. I don't see how prices will not skyrocket if relief isn't seen in the next 3 months.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
In boca raton, filled up 93 oct for 3.87 @ Mobil. The nearest E8 gas station was 3.39 pr gallon.

oldmodman

Established Member
Even dried out, bug eaten ears of corn are grist for the ethanol mills.

Crap corn works just fine as fuel base. Even field sweepings are OK.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
When whole fields are dying it doesn't matter if it is feed corn or any other type. I don't see how prices will not skyrocket if relief isn't seen in the next 3 months.

the point was

if feed corn is $10 a bushel or $1000 a bushel....in the end, no matter if e85 gets made from it first or not, the end user still pays the price for the corn.

thus, actual corn price should not change e85 price.

Now, availability could affect it some. But it shouldnt fluctuate drastically like most forum people have been predicting.

Bud

Established Member
I'm more worried about e50 coming this winter and what it will do to the actual E% in the tanks the following spring :(

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Well it's pretty obvious that the drought is already affecting prices. It is just going to get worse when fields are yielding significantly smaller volumes of corn or no corn at all from a lack of rain across more than half of the country. The price per bushel doesn't matter when there is a lack of bushels to use.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
burned up as is torched? or as is baked by the sun and lack of water?

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Corn needs a favorable temperature during tassel to actually make "corn". We did not have that here this year. It doesn't matter if corn is standing in an inch of water from the pivot running at max capacity 24/7, when its 108° while its tassling you ain't making corn.
The ethanol plants local to me have shut the doors. The price of inputs is too high for them to make a profit.

Users who are viewing this thread